Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,142 of 6,262
I really have to buy the N3 because I keep finding very good DAPs in almost the same price range and get distracted :) Oh and no the D cannot be used as a DAC on the computer. And it can't do native dsd, the Wolfson codec doesn't support it.

For example, I have read some good reviews about the Cowon Plenue D, a very regarded audio brand, which is now on offer for 199 pounds (vs the N3 at 150 pounds) but I couldn't find out if it can be used as a DAC on a computer, plus if someone can compare them it would be nice.

Had the plenue D, nice unit but slow Scrolling not a great screen and not as powerful as output as N3, plus no LO or USB out. Also the sound was behind fiio x3 2nd gen. And if the N3 is anywhere near the fiio x5 3, the sound will be leaps beyond the plenue D. Oh and no Bluetooth on the D if you care about that.

Good eq effects on the D, but the sound just didn't have the depth or resolution of even the x3 2nd gen. Also no DAC on the PC as the Wolfson codec doesn't support it. Oh and also no DSD support.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,143 of 6,262
I really have to buy the N3 because I keep finding very good DAPs in almost the same price range and get distracted :)

For example, I have read some good reviews about the Cowon Plenue D, a very regarded audio brand, which is now on offer for 199 pounds (vs the N3 at 150 pounds) but I couldn't find out if it can be used as a DAC on a computer, plus if someone can compare them it would be nice.

Cowon can't be used as a stand alone DAC, but the N3 can.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,145 of 6,262
OK, so I feel like an idiot asking this question but I really can't figure it out.

How do you set the replay gain volume? Not talking about how to choose between song and album, I see that. What I mean is when you want to actually set the volume for an album, let's say, what do you do?

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,146 of 6,262
It's my understanding that If you're maintaining volume control on the N3, it's outputting an analog signal. Which is weird because I thought the USB-c to coax was a digital coax output.

Well, my guess would be that its basically double-dac ing for lack of a better word. With the coax, the internal DAC is processing it, but then outputting PMC (or other digital wav equivalent) to the mojo, which is then doing its dac thing again. I can change the volume and gain and hear a difference. The equalizer still seems to work too. So it just tells me that the N3 is still processing the audio before sending it to the mojo, which is not what I was hoping for. Usb to usb seems to do what I want though. Just trying to figure out if I can get that with the coax cable too.

So if someone out there who knows more about this, especially who has and is using the n3 with the mojo and a usb-coax cable, could let me know if I have something set incorrectly, or what, that would be helpful.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,147 of 6,262
  That's what USPS likes to do to me. I won't get a knock or anything. I'll just find a peach "Sorry we missed you" slip in my mailbox and I'll have to go into the PO to pick up my package. It's not so bad for me, as the PO is one block away from my house, but still annoying if you check your mail after 4pm and have to go get it the next morning.

Still better than FedEx, though, who likes to show up at 7pm and throw my box on the front porch without any warning then drive off into the sunset. Or, if a signature is required, I'll get a text for missed delivery as I look out the window and see the truck driving away without having knocked or even gotten out of their vehicle. I've had to jump in my truck and chase them to the next town to get my packages before.

What do you get when you combine FedEx with UPS? ...Fed UP. 
biggrin.gif
  In Canada Purolator is the big player and they are even worse than Fed UP.  In Toronto the largest city in Canada they have only two pickup locations and the one closest to me is a 35 minute drive.  Trust me you can do worse than Fed UP. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,148 of 6,262
Well, my guess would be that its basically double-dac ing for lack of a better word. With the coax, the internal DAC is processing it, but then outputting PMC (or other digital wav equivalent) to the mojo, which is then doing its dac thing again. I can change the volume and gain and hear a difference. The equalizer still seems to work too. So it just tells me that the N3 is still processing the audio before sending it to the mojo, which is not what I was hoping for. Usb to usb seems to do what I want though. Just trying to figure out if I can get that with the coax cable too.

So if someone out there who knows more about this, especially who has and is using the n3 with the mojo and a usb-coax cable, could let me know if I have something set incorrectly, or what, that would be helpful.

Have you played with the S/PDIF setting?

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,149 of 6,262
Apr 10, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,150 of 6,262
In regards to noise, I've personally not heard any whilst driving my KZ ZSTs of AKG Y50s, except for a few issues when streaming Spotify via my smartphone and that has been purely digital noise in the silences.

Not sure if I've mentioned it since my last post either, but the OTG feature is wonderful. So nice to connect a memory stick and instantly increase you music collection!

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #1,151 of 6,262
I will look forward to your comparison!

Thanks I'm quite interested myself, I personally like a smaller dap so if the sound is close to the x5 3 I will keep the cayin. I really will never use half the stuff on the x5 3. Might be a bit though I'm not supposed to receive it until between the 14th and the 19th.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,152 of 6,262
  What do you get when you combine FedEx with UPS? ...Fed UP. 
biggrin.gif
  In Canada Purolator is the big player and they are even worse than Fed UP.  In Toronto the largest city in Canada they have only two pickup locations and the one closest to me is a 35 minute drive.  Trust me you can do worse than Fed UP. 

I'll feel your pain. Puro se ya later is crap

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,154 of 6,262
OK, so I feel like an idiot asking this question but I really can't figure it out.

How do you set the replay gain volume? Not talking about how to choose between song and album, I see that. What I mean is when you want to actually set the volume for an album, let's say, what do you do?

I use mediamonkey to analyse the volume of the ripped tracks and tag them with the adjustment value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back