Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 8, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #1,096 of 6,262
1) that may not be the player. The track you are playing may be recorded in an analog process with a high noise floor (tape!) or was mastered from old media. Does it do it with some really modern tracks that are recorded digitally? I haven't heard any hiss in any tracks except for some remasters that were sourced from really, really old masters.

2) I've occasionally heard a tick/pop between tracks when not in gapless. But I haven't heard any ticks when FF'ing a song.

Thanks for replying!

1) I have heard them on all Olafur Arnalds albums, also "Touch" by Daft Punk. It sounded actually like static hiss.

2) I got the pop/tick everytime I press the FF button, either short or long press.

All my songs were ripped from cd, in ALAC or FLAC.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,097 of 6,262
  1) that may not be the player. The track you are playing may be recorded in an analog process with a high noise floor (tape!) or was mastered from old media. Does it do it with some really modern tracks that are recorded digitally? I haven't heard any hiss in any tracks except for some remasters that were sourced from really, really old masters.

2) I've occasionally heard a tick/pop between tracks when not in gapless. But I haven't heard any ticks when FF'ing a song.

What gain do you have the N3 on? If the impedance of your phones < 21ohm, you should be in L ideally, like the FLC8s. The EX are higher and should be in M. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #1,102 of 6,262
It is pretty easy to beat those FIIOs. I loved my X3II until I heard the Shanlings. Subsequently I have been ruined by hearing the Opus, Cayin i5, etc.

Based on feedback, this unit looks like a top player in the sub $200 category.

It is definitely a top player. I'd go as far as calling a "premium player" for it's price range. It'll be even more "premium" once Cayin gets out a nice leather case for it!

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #1,103 of 6,262
  Well, maybe not a software bug, but definitely a firmware/architecture design flaw. Yes, I agree that it shouldn't stop playing when charging (or not do anything except show the charging screen for a few seconds). I can see flashing the screen to indicate that you've successfully applied power, but then should return to the previous screen and only show the upper-right battery icon moving.

I just plugged mine in while it was playing and it didn't pop up the screen - nor did it quit playing. The LEDs started blinking and the battery started to scroll, but no other screens or issues. I'm using the cable that comes with the N3 and a wall-wart 4x3A USB charge block. Are you charging via the USB port on the computer?

After making my previous post, I took the N3, and the cable that came with it (which was connected to my PC), into the other room.
While music was playing, I plugged it into one of these 2x2.1A chargers - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEJSRDI

And the music kept playing.  So, it's a bit confusing trying to figure out what causes the music to stop - if you've seen it happen with data-blocking charge-only cables.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,104 of 6,262

After making my previous post, I took the N3, and the cable that came with it (which was connected to my PC), into the other room.
While music was playing, I plugged it into one of these 2x2.1A chargers - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEJSRDI

And the music kept playing.  So, it's a bit confusing trying to figure out what causes the music to stop - if you've seen it happen with data-blocking charge-only cables.

I think the reason it "wakes up" and quits playing when plugging into a computer is it triggers either the DAC or Mass Storage controller. Since it would be reading the card (or converter), the player must quit because the "disk" is being used. The data-blocking cables I have seem to have certain pins tied together (most USB charging devices need some indication to kick into high output mode, either by tying pins together or actually having a conversation with the other end). I wonder if that is what triggers mine to kick up the charge screen when connected with one of these cables.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,105 of 6,262
Thanks for replying!

1) I have heard them on all Olafur Arnalds albums, also "Touch" by Daft Punk. It sounded actually like static hiss.

2) I got the pop/tick everytime I press the FF button, either short or long press.

All my songs were ripped from cd, in ALAC or FLAC.

I usually just put on an album and let it play, but I just tried REW/FFWD with both the capacitive and hardware buttons and clearly hear the pop/tick your talking about. My N3 is on the latest FW, too.

Can anyone else confirm?

Andykong - I know you're busy, but maybe you could take a minute to pass this on to the engineers? It would be nice to get this fixed in the next FW!

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,106 of 6,262
I usually just put on an album and let it play, but I just tried REW/FFWD with both the capacitive and hardware buttons and clearly hear the pop/tick your talking about. My N3 is on the latest FW, too.

Can anyone else confirm?

Andykong - I know you're busy, but maybe you could take a minute to pass this on to the engineers? It would be nice to get this fixed in the next FW!

Just spent some minutes browsing through Chinese forums on N3, hissing and pop during fwd/rev/nxt were reported on several occasions. Will wait for more updates.

But I have to say, N3 is pretty amazing outside these two discrepancies.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,107 of 6,262
I've only had mine for a couple days and the only thing that jumps out at me is the fact when it is that in my shirt pocket it tends to have inadvertent button pushes. Lock feature?

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,108 of 6,262
Just spent some minutes browsing through Chinese forums on N3, hissing and pop during fwd/rev/nxt were reported on several occasions. Will wait for more updates.

But I have to say, N3 is pretty amazing outside these two discrepancies.

I not very sensitive to hissing, so I'm not a good judge of that. The quick double-pop while pushing REW/FFWD is annoying. Glad I'm not one to REW/FFWD much...

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #1,110 of 6,262
  I think the reason it "wakes up" and quits playing when plugging into a computer is it triggers either the DAC or Mass Storage controller. Since it would be reading the card (or converter), the player must quit because the "disk" is being used. The data-blocking cables I have seem to have certain pins tied together (most USB charging devices need some indication to kick into high output mode, either by tying pins together or actually having a conversation with the other end). I wonder if that is what triggers mine to kick up the charge screen when connected with one of these cables.

Yes, I suspect that is the case.  Maybe it needs three options, rather than just USB and DAC.  Maybe USB, DAC, and Charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back