Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #991 of 6,262
Yep i've seen that, i guess it's because (according to them, i dont know if it's true) the stock was stuck in customs.
I'll make a call tomorrow and plan to be les polite than the two last calls, maybe they'll react.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #992 of 6,262
Very nice and detailed review by Headfonics. The comparisons alone to the other entry level DAP makes the N3 a logical choice IMO. The i5 comparison is very impressive considering one is totl DAP and the N3 being the entry level. That just sealed the deal for me on choosing the N3. It'll be my first Cayin in device. Been using FiiO's for the past couple years as well as Sansas. Some change will do me some good...lol

I think you'll like it. It works great, sounds great and it's very well built. Well worth the asking price.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #994 of 6,262
Headfonics makes it pretty clear what the weakness of the X1II is as well. I'll be ordering one here in the next few days. Can't wait to hear it.

Yes the Headfonics review seems pretty accurate to me and it does make clear the weaknesses of the X1ii...if the processor isn't powerful enough I don't think any firmware updates will speed it up but the N3 has no lag and works exactly as advertised. The bluetooth works well too. It's nice to get a DAP that works this well after just being released.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #995 of 6,262
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 5, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #996 of 6,262

Yes the Headfonics review seems pretty accurate to me and it does make clear the weaknesses of the X1ii...if the processor isn't powerful enough I don't think any firmware updates will speed it up but the N3 has no lag and works exactly as advertised. The bluetooth works well too. It's nice to get a DAP that works this well after just being released.

Cayin has done very well with the initial release of the N3. It's a perfect balance of performance and battery/processor usage. I do like the scroll touch wheel of the X1-II, it's very effective.

With the release of ReplayGain on Friday, the N3 will be almost perfect, and especially with the SQ and price point.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #997 of 6,262
24 hours, before I take off to CanJam SoCal.
biggrin.gif

Sounds fun! Too bad it combines three things I don't like - California, sunshine, and tradeshows; I got burned out years ago doing too many Comdex and MSDN conventions.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #998 of 6,262
I have to concur and the lower power for all my efficient iem's creates a quite and almost completely black background and this is what's really going to sell a lot of this unit and IMHO put a serious hurt on some of the big boys with their exorbitant price tags:rolleyes: So far my favorite part of the N3 is the smooth listen no matter the genre and how the N3 never breaks rank on any frequency range and if I could put it into one word It would be "Evenflow" :bigsmile_face:

Thanks for your raving comment.

While sound quality and handling power will scale with the product, our the house sound signature will remain throughout. With 24 years of decent track record in traditional HiFi business, we might be new to the personal audio section, but we sure know a lot about music reproduction, and this require technical skill, sincerity to the audiophile hobby, and experience accumulated bits by bits throughout our history.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #999 of 6,262
Sounds fun! Too bad it combines three things I don't like - California, sunshine, and tradeshows; I got burned out years ago doing too many Comdex and MSDN conventions.

CanJam is NOT a trade show, its a HeadFi Party. :D

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,000 of 6,262

Have been working with Marcus of Headfonics for a quite a while, I can definitely standby your first statement in my experience.:beerchug:

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,002 of 6,262
I want to apologize in advance if my question has already been answered a thousand times, but I dont have the time right now to read this entire thread, and my search of the thread didnt quite give the answer right away either.

I currently own a mojo, and am very interested in the N3 as both a standalone, but also to use with the mojo. I see on the musicTeck site, that there is an option to add a usb-c to coax cable that looks pretty nice and should do the trick. But, I normally use usb as the input on my mojo. Is this the best option here? Is there some other usb-c to micro-usb cable I should be looking at, does the N3 even support digital output via usb? Is there no real difference anyways?

Just want to make sure I have the right info so I make sure I have the right cables ordered so i can use it right away. Definitely think I am going to be ordering one today though.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #1,004 of 6,262
Thanks for your raving comment.

While sound quality and handling power will scale with the product, our the house sound signature will remain throughout. With 24 years of decent track record in traditional HiFi business, we might be new to the personal audio section, but we sure know a lot about music reproduction, and this require technical skill, sincerity to the audiophile hobby, and experience accumulated bits by bits throughout our history.

Consistent high standards is always a crowd pleaser. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,005 of 6,262
This is your best option but that particular cable arrived with a short with my order. Musicteck is supposed to get cayin branded cables next week that should be better quality. I'm​ going to wait till that one comes in myself.

So usb-c to coax is the best option?

Will those cayin branded cables be available for purchase separately? I want to get the N3 ordered asap if I go down this route as I have a trip coming up soon that I would like to make sure I have this well in advance of. As far as usb to coax, the little searching I have done so far has not turned up really any results for other usb-c to coax cables, so I will probably still get the one they have available now and then buy the cayin branded cable separately later. I have also seen quite a few usb-c to usb-micro cables, which is why I was wondering if this is even possible to do usb from the n3 to usb on the mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back