Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 5, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #976 of 6,262
If these sound a lot like the i5 that implies to me that these may well sound better than the Shanling M2 and by extension, the M1 which would seem a natural competitor. Any thoughts?

And the i5 i think i read was sonically on par, if a touch warmer, than the fiio x5iii (in some reviews), so by this one mght assume that the n3 would not be far behind......
Assumptions are the mother of all ****** ups though, as the saying goes.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #977 of 6,262
I5 warmer than X5iii? 
blink.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #979 of 6,262
Howdy Snuff, this was the one I was most nervous about when I hit the button on the N3 and they are very close, really to close but the M5 still has the Cayin however price wise it should but the N3/M2 are erily close.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #980 of 6,262
Howdy Snuff, this was the one I was most nervous about when I hit the button on the N3 and they are very close, really to close but the M5 still has the Cayin however price wise it should but the N3/M2 are erily close.

It certainly sounds like the N3 has a winning sound signature.  What your posts suggests to me confirms one of my primary recent observations.  Which is this there are some entry level DAP units on the market at the $150-$200 price range that get very close to the next level price range which seems to be roughly $400-$500.  

For me; the recent ranking of units in the $400-$500 range would be  Opus #1 >  i5   >   X5 III.  I liked the user interface on the Opus more but I thought the i5 was pretty good.
The X5III was a bit more finicky in terms of matching to IEM units for me, and for some reason I experienced hissing between song selections.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #981 of 6,262
Here it is (i was worried for a minute that i got it all wrong and it was the other way round)

Ngoshawk:

x5iii v i5:

"From memory, the i5 provides a warmer sound base with which to start. I REALLY liked the sound of the Cayin. Clean, clear, crisp like that mountain cabin, one cannot escape the fact that this is a well “north of neutral” warm sounding DAP."

How this relates to N3 im not sure but the chip is the same and another guy on here mentioned the closeness in sound to I5....

Very interesting, i look forward to some solid reviews/comparisons

Cheers

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #982 of 6,262
Here it is (i was worried for a minute that i got it all wrong and it was the other way round)

Ngoshawk:

x5iii v i5:

"From memory, the i5 provides a warmer sound base with which to start. I REALLY liked the sound of the Cayin. Clean, clear, crisp like that mountain cabin, one cannot escape the fact that this is a well “north of neutral” warm sounding DAP."

How this relates to N3 im not sure but the chip is the same and another guy on here mentioned the closeness in sound to I5....

Very interesting, i look forward to some solid reviews/comparisons

Cheers

The AK4490EN/EQ chips are known for their warm sound signatures. There's a lot of units that use them, including the Teac UD-503, which is considered a very warm sounding converter.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #983 of 6,262

It certainly sounds like the N3 has a winning sound signature.  What your posts suggests to me confirms one of my primary recent observations.  Which is this there are some entry level DAP units on the market at the $150-$200 price range that get very close to the next level price range which seems to be roughly $400-$500.  

For me; the recent ranking of units in the $400-$500 range would be  Opus #1 >  i5   >   X5 III.  I liked the user interface on the Opus more but I thought the i5 was pretty good.
The X5III was a bit more finicky in terms of matching to IEM units for me, and for some reason I experienced hissing between song selections.

Yeah Snuff, the gap is closing and a lot has to do with how inexpensive it is for the Chinese to build up a decent DAP parts wise not to mention some of these guys have a pretty good design eye and ears. To me this is clearly evident buy the likes of the S5 which to me can pretty much go head to head with the FiiO X1, in all actuality and once again IMO there is only so much that can be put into all DAP's and the real trick is to make any of them sound musical and enjoyable. Getting what one pays for and Diminishing returns is what's really drawing closer, don't get me wrong top line Sony, Pioneer, LP, PAW Gold and AK players are very nice but are you really 5 and 6 times better? Synergy can be had for a lot less money today than even 10 years ago and I love progress, onward through the fog
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #984 of 6,262
The first comprehensive N3 review from Headfonics is on air, check it out

Marcus has offered a thorough explanation to the design and features of N3, to the level that I think he can read our mind. He literally spelled out a lot of our thoughts and idea behind the implementations. From what I recalled, Marcus is the only reviewer covered all FOUR DAPs in Cayin lineup, he knows Cayin to the minute details.

If you are a regular to this thread and are fairly familiar with N3 already, I suggest you start to read the review from Page 3 and revisit the rest of the article afterward. Page 3 is the Sound Impressions & Comparisons page, on top of comparing with Cayin's N5 and i5, Marcus has also compared N3 against several low-cost DAP that have been mentioned in this thread, this is something that the online N3 community has been looking forwards to.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 5, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #986 of 6,262
The first comprehensive N3 review from Headfonics is on air, check it out.

I suggest you start to read the review from Page 3, that's the Sound Impressions & Comparisons page, on top of comparing with Cayin's N5 and i5, Marcus has also compared N3 against several low-cost DAP that have been mentioned in this thread.

I have to concur and the lower power for all my efficient iem's creates a quite and almost completely black background and this is what's really going to sell a lot of this unit and IMHO put a serious hurt on some of the big boys with their exorbitant price tags
rolleyes.gif
So far my favorite part of the N3 is the smooth listen no matter the genre and how the N3 never breaks rank on any frequency range and if I could put it into one word It would be "Evenflow"
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #987 of 6,262
The first comprehensive N3 review from Headfonics is on air, check it out.

I suggest you start to read the review from Page 3, that's the Sound Impressions & Comparisons page, on top of comparing with Cayin's N5 and i5, Marcus has also compared N3 against several low-cost DAP that have been mentioned in this thread.

Yay, ReplayGain coming Friday! Can't wait to check it out!

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #988 of 6,262
Good review ! I'm looking forward to get mine but Audio Garden is full of ****, i call them everyday and they keep saying that my order will be sent the day after...
I just repaired my Grado headphone, i want the N3 so hard !

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #989 of 6,262
Very nice and detailed review by Headfonics. The comparisons alone to the other entry level DAP makes the N3 a logical choice IMO. The i5 comparison is very impressive considering one is totl DAP and the N3 being the entry level. That just sealed the deal for me on choosing the N3. It'll be my first Cayin in device. Been using FiiO's for the past couple years as well as Sansas. Some change will do me some good...lol

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #990 of 6,262
Good review ! I'm looking forward to get mine but Audio Garden is full of ****, i call them everyday and they keep saying that my order will be sent the day after...
I just repaired my Grado headphone, i want the N3 so hard !

I hope it will delivered soon. I can not wait.
The price has increased with 10 euro even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back