Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 29, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #661 of 6,262
It's all in FedEx's hands now i guess. In my experience Fedex never moves faster than you pay for. If you pay for the cheapest possible method, it'll take the maximum amount of time. 9 days from PA to CA crazy though, i'm hoping that's an upper estimate. It's taken fully 25 hours just to leave PA, so it's a slim chance.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #662 of 6,262

If I hadn't just bought a FiiO X1 1st gen a couple of weeks ago, I'd be very tempted to order a Cayin N3. Heck, I'm STILL tempted. It seems like a killer DAP for the price.

Get it. The N3 is really nice. It charges much faster than the X1-II (I never owned the X1 1st) and it has a nice percentage display of the battery charge. The UI is faster than the X1-II, even though the scroll wheel on the X1-II is growing on me a bit. The SQ is great on both. The X1-II feels more robustly built, but they're both nice for their respective pricing!

I'll probably end up giving my X1-II away if Fiio doesn't fix their bugs soon, real soon. The only "bug" in the N3 is the issue I've been having where it forgets the EQ is turned on and set to custom when coming back from standby. It seems that unplugging and replugging the 3.5mm gets the EQ to load again.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #663 of 6,262
  It's all in FedEx's hands now i guess. In my experience Fedex never moves faster than you pay for. If you pay for the cheapest possible method, it'll take the maximum amount of time. 9 days from PA to CA crazy though, i'm hoping that's an upper estimate. It's taken fully 25 hours just to leave PA, so it's a slim chance.

FedEx should change their slogan to "The world in slow time" from their current one. Well, hmm, I guess their current slogan makes sense...it's "on time", never faster! I ordered a package from a state next to me, it traveled across my state to the next one, then through again down south before making it back to me. But, they do seem to damage my packages less than Ooops, er, UPS. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #664 of 6,262
  I got mine from Musicteck. They come with a silicone bumper case thing. I'm hoping they'll come out with a leather slip on case (like the case for X1-II, but without the hole in the back).

Thanks!

I have several friends who do custom leather work, and I'm going to have a Shanling M1 case modified, to make it easier & more secure to hang on a badge lanyard.
So, I may ask them about a custom case for the N3.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #665 of 6,262

Get it. The N3 is really nice. It charges much faster than the X1-II (I never owned the X1 1st) and it has a nice percentage display of the battery charge. The UI is faster than the X1-II, even though the scroll wheel on the X1-II is growing on me a bit. The SQ is great on both. The X1-II feels more robustly built, but they're both nice for their respective pricing!

I'll probably end up giving my X1-II away if Fiio doesn't fix their bugs soon, real soon. The only "bug" in the N3 is the issue I've been having where it forgets the EQ is turned on and set to custom when coming back from standby. It seems that unplugging and replugging the 3.5mm gets the EQ to load again.

I'm sure that this glitch will e fixed in FW updates. It's too annoying to ignore.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #666 of 6,262

I ordered from MusicTeck yesterday and i will be getting it tomorrow by USPS First Class Package service. So, I am very excited! My unit shipped from NJ and I live in NY & that may be the reason why the transit time is so short. But I still can't believe the 9 -day transit time on FedEx! I thought FedEx is much faster.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #669 of 6,262
  I ordered from MusicTeck yesterday and i will be getting it tomorrow by USPS First Class Package service. So, I am very excited! My unit shipped from NJ and I live in NY & that may be the reason why the transit time is so short. But I still can't believe the 9 -day transit time on FedEx! I thought FedEx is much faster.

2 days to FL

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #672 of 6,262
Yeah. One major thing is that im02 is very picky when it comes to source. Want to be doubly sure before I get my first dap so that it's compatible.

Despite it seeming fairly close to neutral, it is *very* slightly warm on the mid-band, around 900-1.1K. Not bad, though, and a -1db notch on the 1K EQ does perfect to correct that. It's definitely noticeable when compared to the same source file(s) off a Motu 828 and RME Fireface.

I have yet to hear any noise, whether floor hiss or transient operation noise. One really nice thing that nobody's mentioned yet is that when you unpause with the N3, it fades in the audio so that it doesn't pop your ears. The X1-II doesn't do that.

I've tried it with JH-5, JH-16, and UERR (all customs) as well as a set of MDR-7506. I don't have any universals or AT stuff, except for a pair of EW9s that I only use for piano stuff.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #673 of 6,262
  Again, podcast / ebook / low res stuff - works the same on a phone as a DAP. No upgrade in sound quality so might as well stick with a phone.

I have 2x 256GB cards, both filled. Works perfectly. ~8000 songs on the first, all FLAC 16/44 - 24/96. Mostly DSD64 on the second card, with some 24/96 FLAC. One is a Lexar and the other a Sandisk Ultra.

Also have 2x 200GB, both PNY. Finally have 1x 128GB Sandisk Extreme.

I'll stick with my ipod for now.

Might have to wait a while to get a 256 GB card. Price is a bit too much right now.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #674 of 6,262
So I don't seem to have the EQ bug but I did just run in to something I wanted to run by everyone that has the N3:

I had no problem connecting to Bluetooth in my car and my motorcycle helmet but when I try to connect to the bluetooth system on my house, I always get a Connection Failed message. No such message when I use mine or my wife's iPhone so I know it's the N3. The only thing I can think of is that the house requires a code to pair with. I'm wondering if the N3 is returning an error because the code is required and it somehow the N3 isn't receiving the message. So my question to anyone out there that has the N3 is-did you ever try to connect BT to a device that needs a code?

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #675 of 6,262
  So I don't seem to have the EQ bug but I did just run in to something I wanted to run by everyone that has the N3:

I had no problem connecting to Bluetooth in my car and my motorcycle helmet but when I try to connect to the bluetooth system on my house, I always get a Connection Failed message. No such message when I use mine or my wife's iPhone so I know it's the N3. The only thing I can think of is that the house requires a code to pair with. I'm wondering if the N3 is returning an error because the code is required and it somehow the N3 isn't receiving the message. So my question to anyone out there that has the N3 is-did you ever try to connect BT to a device that needs a code?

Did you try entering 0000 as the code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back