Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 8, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #4,082 of 6,262
Is there a known issue with iphones and n3 concerning bluetooth connection?. Basically when i'm out and about with my n3 in one pocket and my phone in the other pocket , playing from my iphone 7 using spotify i experience a lot of glitches in the sound. it cuts intermitently and its quite annoying . When i take the phone and player out of my pocket then everything is fine . I'm very close to returning the player to amazon , but i thought i should ask if someone else was facing same issue.
i use n3 with iphone 7plus that way all the time with no issues

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #4,083 of 6,262
I am using Cayin-N3 stacked with Oppo HA2-SE connected in USB Audio-out mode using a USB-C to Micro usb cable. The issue is, Oppo HA2-SE starts charging its battery from N3 (the lights on Oppo starts to blink as if charging from a power source).
Is there a way to stop this behavior as this would drain N3 faster?

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #4,084 of 6,262
I am using Cayin-N3 stacked with Oppo HA2-SE connected in USB Audio-out mode using a USB-C to Micro usb cable. The issue is, Oppo HA2-SE starts charging its battery from N3 (the lights on Oppo starts to blink as if charging from a power source).

That is controlled by HA2 firmware, can't do anything from N3 side of connection, there are some USB device 5hat depends on USB power to operate, so can't refuse a charging request.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 8, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #4,085 of 6,262
That is controlled by HA2 firmware, can't do anything from ME side of connection, there are some USB device 5hat depends on USB power to operate, so can't refuse a charging request.
Thanks Andy Kong for the explanation. I understand the issue now. On my Fiio-Q1 (no plan to use with N3), I see a dedicated switch to turn off the charging of the device from the source.

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #4,086 of 6,262

the Fiio E18 can be connected to the N3 without draining, but based on reading reviews it is a downgrade from the HA2 SE

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #4,087 of 6,262

If you put a switch inline on the Red, Pin 1, +5VDC (VCC) wire, you can switch off the 5VDC going from the N3 to the HA2-SE.
There is at least one cable you can buy, which does what I've described - http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/i.../prodinfo.php?prodcode=4D-RPI-MICROUSB-EXT-SW
But, it doesn't have a USB-C connector.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,088 of 6,262
Is there a known issue with iphones and n3 concerning bluetooth connection?. Basically when i'm out and about with my n3 in one pocket and my phone in the other pocket , playing from my iphone 7 using spotify i experience a lot of glitches in the sound. it cuts intermitently and its quite annoying . When i take the phone and player out of my pocket then everything is fine . I'm very close to returning the player to amazon , but i thought i should ask if someone else was facing same issue.

I just did an experiment on my iphone7 and N3 and I only heard very tiny current sound when N3 and my phone were close to each other.But I didn't experience any cut in the sound. In this case, what is your N3 current firmware? could you please change another headphone to see what happens? I would like to hear from other iPhone users if they have faced similar problem.

I am a Radio Frequency Engineer for a cellular company since 1994. It is possible that what you are describing is a function of how phones transmit to the cell towers. This is a phenomena called discontinuous transmit. With modulation schemes that are time based like Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) or Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM 64, QAM 128) the phone will send short bursts of RF energy in an on/off format for digital ones and zeros. Those bursts of discontinuous transmit can cause a third order harmonic that is in the audible range. That is then induced into electronics if they are close enough to the source. You can hear it in speakers, DAPs, Radios, etc.

Short story is that it is a function of how cellular phones operate and is not the fault of the player or the speaker. I get this issue when my phone sits too near my DAP/AMP. I have experienced this on DX50,, N3, ipod, along with other devices. I move it 6 inches away, and the problem is gone. With it being in your pocket, I fully expect that may be your issue. You may consider putting the phone in airplane mode if you don't need to use cellular.

This is also another reason why I choose to have a dedicated DAP and not utilize my phone for playing music. I haven't tried the Hiby link yet.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4,089 of 6,262
I am a Radio Frequency Engineer for a cellular company since 1994. It is possible that what you are describing is a function of how phones transmit to the cell towers. This is a phenomena called discontinuous transmit. With modulation schemes that are time based like Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) or Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM 64, QAM 128) the phone will send short bursts of RF energy in an on/off format for digital ones and zeros. Those bursts of discontinuous transmit can cause a third order harmonic that is in the audible range. That is then induced into electronics if they are close enough to the source. You can hear it in speakers, DAPs, Radios, etc.

Short story is that it is a function of how cellular phones operate and is not the fault of the player or the speaker. I get this issue when my phone sits too near my DAP/AMP. I have experienced this on DX50,, N3, ipod, along with other devices. I move it 6 inches away, and the problem is gone. With it being in your pocket, I fully expect that may be your issue. You may consider putting the phone in airplane mode if you don't need to use cellular.

This is also another reason why I choose to have a dedicated DAP and not utilize my phone for playing music. I haven't tried the Hiby link yet.

It seems like he may be using the cellular link on his phone to receive Spotify, and then streaming the music, via Bluetooth, to his N3.

If the phone and N3 are on opposite sides of his body, then I suspect the Bluetooth signal is just being absorbed / attenuated too much, while passing through.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,090 of 6,262
It seems like he may be using the cellular link on his phone to receive Spotify, and then streaming the music, via Bluetooth, to his N3.

If the phone and N3 are on opposite sides of his body, then I suspect the Bluetooth signal is just being absorbed / attenuated too much, while passing through.
Ooops. Looks like I read it wrong the first time. I didn't catch that they were in different pockets. I read it real quick and thought that it said they were in the same pocket.
nevermind.jpg

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #4,091 of 6,262
Hello, to connect the N3 to the USB input of an amplifier with DAC, do you need to use an OTG cable? I have tried with a standard USB-C docking station and it deos not work. It works if I use a USB cable+a little OTG adapter to connect to the N3. So I suppose this is the reason. Has anybody tried with an OTG docking station? Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #4,092 of 6,262
Hello, to connect the N3 to the USB input of an amplifier with DAC, do you need to use an OTG cable? I have tried with a standard USB-C docking station and it deos not work. It works if I use a USB cable+a little OTG adapter to connect to the N3. So I suppose this is the reason. Has anybody tried with an OTG docking station? Thank you! :)
I have connected to USB dac with anker usb-c to USB-a cable and it works fine. Many here have had difficulties with the supplied cable. Good luck!

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #4,093 of 6,262
Hi guys, I'm really sorry for such a beginner question but I'm kind of confused.

I've just ordered a Cayin N3 and can't wait to hear it.

My problem is, I have an Oppo HA-2 and I've no idea what cable(s) I would need to stack them. I've seen different types mentioned in this thread but didn't want to order one before some advice from here.

Thanks so much

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #4,095 of 6,262
@K Nicholas

I'm not 100% familiar with the HA-2, but you'll probably need a usb-c to micro usb OTG cable for digital in, or just a 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect cable to use it as a straight amp.

Thanks very much fourrobert13, the HA-2 does indeed have a 3.5 so I've just ordered a straight 3.5 to 3.5.

Thanks again for your assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back