Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #3,916 of 6,262
Agreed, but like many of their other replies, I don't think Cayin Support are doing themselves any favors with their vague responses, especially when the issues don't seem to be widespread.

My original point was more about he accusatory and derisory tone of the original poster, especially given his limited time and cred on this forum.
He's been on this forum a year longer than you or I - I don't think we should be judging each other by the number of posts we make. And, to be completely fair, I think his tone was a reaction to the tone taken by docholliday whose insults may have been more veiled but who basically stated that overclocking is something that only people who refuse to spend more money on the proper equipment resort to, which I think is quite patronising to be honest.

i guess we all perceive comments in different ways and it's very difficult to read emotion in online comments, which can lead to misunderstandings.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3,917 of 6,262
Thank you kindly for the reply.
I saw the list of cables before I purchased. I wanted to risk a purchase of a $0.71 cable vs a $19.99 cable with 1 star rating.

I was more interested in the format output by the N3.
The Unison Research specification states that it should work with Asynchronous USB interface compliant to USB 2.0 audio class. It accepts PC up to 384 kHz.
My music on the N3 is FLAC Level 5 Redbook rips at 16 bits and 44.1 kHz. It is definitely below 384kHz.

Is the N3 usb output PCM?
Is it USB interface compliant to USB 2.0 audio class?

I am not versed in USB communications. So I was wondering if the N3 outputs in the same format that the Unison research SH is looking to receive.
Specs copied again below.

Here is the Unison Research SH USB DAC spec.
USB DAC SPECIFICATION
Asynchronous USB interface compliant to USB 2.0 Audio Class
Accepts PCM up to 384kHz and DSD up to 128x
Resolution up to 32 bits
Last generation ESS Sabre DAC with jitter eliminator circuit

Hi, N3 can decode PCM file and can work with USB 2.0 audio class interface.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #3,918 of 6,262
He's been on this forum a year longer than you or I - I don't think we should be judging each other by the number of posts we make. And, to be completely fair, I think his tone was a reaction to the tone taken by docholliday whose insults may have been more veiled but who basically stated that overclocking is something that only people who refuse to spend more money on the proper equipment resort to, which I think is quite patronising to be honest.
Let's get this correct. In NO way did I ever insuate that. Nor was there any patronising intended. Stop putting words in my mouth, please.

What has happened is that I have had a lot of clients that were talked into overclocking a cheaper spec'd system instead of paying up front for what they really needed. Then, after a bit, they start to run in to problems: premature component failures, corrupted data, unexplainable errors from peripherals, etc. When I first spoke with them about their configurations, they never said anything about OC'ing their system. They had issues like AutoCAD acting all kinds of whacky, Lightroom corrupting images AFTER import, multitrack recordings where one or more track would have random dropouts or artifacts, etc. I'd go over to their office, look at their system, and find that whoever recommended/built/installed their system had OC'd the system to give them what seemed like a higher performing system.

I'd ask them about it and they'd tell me about their son/daughter, computer guy down the street, etc. who convinced them to OC the system and save them money. I'd reset all of the OC config back to native and mysteriously all of their issues went away, except their system was now slow. So, we'd order an appropriate workstation or I'd build a new one for them with correct components and they'd be back in business. Except that they now had a system they paid for which was delegated to become an overpriced word processor or email box.

So, no, they didn't "refuse to spend more money". They spent less money up front to get problems that was resolved later when they spent more money, unnecessarily.

Now...if we could get back on topic of N3 related discussions...

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #3,919 of 6,262
I have poping sound and noise problem using N3 as DAC with my laptop running Windows 7 as well.

I'm using Caying USB driver and using USB-C cable that come with N3 and foobar as a player.

I didn't say anything because someone did report and Cayin already accept this problem.

So just for the record that this is a common issue

I got this problem as well.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #3,920 of 6,262
What @docholliday suggests is perfectly reasonable (and very generous). You haven't provided any technical information upfront, and made wild accusations about an "issue" you believe to be valid without actually commiting any information about your particular system (other than 'my other DACs work'). For example, do we know if users on other platforms (Linux, Mac) have similar issues? I tried it on my Mac and struggled to replicate it. If it's isolated to Windows machines, at least we can narrow it down to the drivers (which seem to be the root cause of most Windows issues, which is why I switched to Mac, but I digress).

Also as a new head-fier you might want to watch your tone a little when someone with vastly more time and experience is offering suggestions and trying to be helpful. This is a community of like-minded individuals enjoying a passion and hobby, so maybe you should remember that before throwing insults around and expecting help in return.

Accusations and insinuations about products without evidence or at least some practical examples is called 'trolling', which I believe is frowned upon on most forums, not just this one.

That would be valid information if he actually presented me with something I haven't already tried. I tried the cayin USB drivers from 2016 long ago, and playing around with the sample rate didnt change anything. I tried once again to placate the "experienced" people here that dont know about processor multipliers vs front bus frequency, and I can assure you I get a constant popping with every peak of every audio waveform on my 5.0ghz desktop. Guess i'll just have to use my modi or my $30 soundblaster thingy here. I'd rather not have people insult my computer when the manufacturer themselves stated that the DAC issue is unfixable.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #3,921 of 6,262
Let's get this correct. In NO way did I ever insuate that. Nor was there any patronising intended. Stop putting words in my mouth, please.

What has happened is that I have had a lot of clients that were talked into overclocking a cheaper spec'd system instead of paying up front for what they really needed. Then, after a bit, they start to run in to problems: premature component failures, corrupted data, unexplainable errors from peripherals, etc. When I first spoke with them about their configurations, they never said anything about OC'ing their system. They had issues like AutoCAD acting all kinds of whacky, Lightroom corrupting images AFTER import, multitrack recordings where one or more track would have random dropouts or artifacts, etc. I'd go over to their office, look at their system, and find that whoever recommended/built/installed their system had OC'd the system to give them what seemed like a higher performing system.

I'd ask them about it and they'd tell me about their son/daughter, computer guy down the street, etc. who convinced them to OC the system and save them money. I'd reset all of the OC config back to native and mysteriously all of their issues went away, except their system was now slow. So, we'd order an appropriate workstation or I'd build a new one for them with correct components and they'd be back in business. Except that they now had a system they paid for which was delegated to become an overpriced word processor or email box.

So, no, they didn't "refuse to spend more money". They spent less money up front to get problems that was resolved later when they spent more money, unnecessarily.

Now...if we could get back on topic of N3 related discussions...

Confirmation bias doesnt mean anything. Especially when my happily overclocked system works fine with my other DACs, you seem unable to understand that because you rather be stuck in computer history. I don't even think you understand why people overclock systems. This is an ancient i5-2500k, its been serving me for nearly 7 years. Literally I built this computer myself for starcraft 2 in like 2011. You think overclocking is some forbidden art when people are actually just trying to prolong an old system's life, or getting more for their money. You just seem like a cayin fanboy, or just too ignorant to realize that my other DACs work great.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #3,922 of 6,262
I'd rather not have people insult my computer when the manufacturer themselves stated that the DAC issue is unfixable.
I would still like to know if this issue has been reported on Mac or Linux computers. @CayinSupport can you verify this please?

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #3,923 of 6,262
I would still like to know if this issue has been reported on Mac or Linux computers. @CayinSupport can you verify this please?

Well I have no issues on my i5, WIN 10, 3 year old box. I never bought the N3 to be used this way but I tried it because of all the fuss.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #3,926 of 6,262
The problem is, with such a small user base for both operating systems, it will be difficult to obtain a statistically meaningful sample.
Ok, so let's start a mini poll. I invite all users here to connect their N3 to their computers, and play a selection of files over headphones and listen for pops/cracks/issues. Then come back here and simply report back. I'll start: iMac 27" 2011 - Sierra OS - no pops. Mac mini 2013 - Sierra OS - no pops.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #3,927 of 6,262
Ok, so let's start a mini poll. I invite all users here to connect their N3 to their computers, and play a selection of files over headphones and listen for pops/cracks/issues. Then come back here and simply report back. I'll start: iMac 27" 2011 - Sierra OS - no pops. Mac mini 2013 - Sierra OS - no pops.
Let's find out what the people who are experiencing these pops are doing first, then we can do the same thing.

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #3,928 of 6,262
Can anybody confirm that the USB connection of the N3 and Mojo is bit perfect on firmware v 2.1 because it seems to me like it is. There's no way you can control the volume of the N3 after you connect it to the Mojo via USB.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,930 of 6,262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back