Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 27, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #3,211 of 6,262
Why do you have to change the song tags? I just include the year in the folder name, e.g. "1980 - Back in Black".

If I understand the post correctly @svetlyo is talking about viewing Albums by Artist in Library view, where the N3 doesn't read Directory or file names, it only reads the tags. And I have to agree that it would be useful to have a secondary sort, by year.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,212 of 6,262
Most people I follow on head-fi use folder browsing, myself included. It's much easier IMO than the category method due to all of the various tags that go nuts when using it. Once you set up your folder structure, then it's pretty easy to do things and cuts down on a lot of scrolling through files...blah, blah, blah. With that said, anyone can easily add the year to the beginning of the folder name without having to retag anything. Then you albums will display the way you want them to. I don't do this because I know the order of my collection, but this would be the work around rather than requesting Cayin to change the fw to do it.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #3,213 of 6,262
If I understand the post correctly @svetlyo is talking about viewing Albums by Artist in Library view, where the N3 doesn't read Directory or file names, it only reads the tags. And I have to agree that it would be useful to have a secondary sort, by year.

Ah, right, that makes more sense. I only use the folder view on portable music players so I wasn't looking at it from the same perspective.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #3,214 of 6,262
Most people I follow on head-fi use folder browsing, myself included. It's much easier IMO than the category method due to all of the various tags that go nuts when using it. Once you set up your folder structure, then it's pretty easy to do things and cuts down on a lot of scrolling through files...blah, blah, blah. With that said, anyone can easily add the year to the beginning of the folder name without having to retag anything. Then you albums will display the way you want them to. I don't do this because I know the order of my collection, but this would be the work around rather than requesting Cayin to change the fw to do it.

Yup.

The other advantage of folder browsing is you don't have to retag every time you get a new DAP.

Every DAP has little quirks (perfect example is this year search on the N3). But as long as a DAP has folder browsing, you'll feel right at home with your music collection.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,215 of 6,262
I will try this but I really can't see how a battery gauge inaccuracy issue would see it go from 80% to 0% in 5 days while turned off.
When you say leave it on with screen at maximum brightness/screen always on, do you mean play music as well or just leave it on?

Thanks

leave it on with screen at maximum brightness/screen always on,and play music as well

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #3,216 of 6,262
leave it on with screen at maximum brightness/screen always on,and play music as well
Hello. It was a bit late for this advice as I drained the battery last night just by leaving screen always on, at maximum brightness. I think it took around 10-11 hours but I'm not completely sure as I fell asleep.

Now I have charged it to 100%, reset screen to minimum brightness and turn off after 30 seconds. I started playing a FLAC file on a loop just over 3 1/2 hours ago and I'm checking it every hour. Will post results when I'm finished.

EDIT: I still can't post the result as 12 hours and 22 minutes later it's still going...at 14%!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,218 of 6,262
Hello head fiers ,did we get the custom firmware for latest one that is 2.1?
Unfortunately not guys. The person who was helping me unpack/repack the N3 firmware so I could edit it has left the project, so we're stuck on 2.0 :frowning2:

Unless Cayin gives me access to the firmware tools for the N3, or someone figures out how to unpack/repack the Linux firmware file, you'll have to make do with their official firmware or stick with 2.0 (which is what I've done).

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,219 of 6,262
Unfortunately not guys. The person who was helping me unpack/repack the N3 firmware so I could edit it has left the project, so we're stuck on 2.0 :frowning2:

Unless Cayin gives me access to the firmware tools for the N3, or someone figures out how to unpack/repack the Linux firmware file, you'll have to make do with their official firmware or stick with 2.0 (which is what I've done).
Yeah just read that, why don't we ask a tutorial from that guy who was doing it earlier.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #3,220 of 6,262
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,221 of 6,262
I've finally finished the test.

Played a 44.1KHZ/16-bit file on loop, volume = 42, gain = HdB.

I didn't check exactly on the hour every hour, as I have other things to do obviously but here are the figures I did jot down:

08.15 - Started at 99% (Dropped from 100%-99% as soon as I started using it)
09.15 - 91%
10.15 - 85%
11.15 - 78%
12.15 - 72%
13.25 - 65%
14.15 - 59%
15.33 - 48%
16.15 - 43%
17.21 - 35%
18.16 - 28%
19.16 - 23%
20.34 - 14%
21.38 - 6%
22.15 - 2%
22.40 - 0%

Although some of my times weren't on the hour, I did get a fairly even set of 2-hour blocks for the first 12 hours, save the last 2, which was actually 2 hours and 18 minutes:

2 hour blocks = 14%, 13%, 13%, 16%, 15%, 14% (2 hours 18 minutes),

The final 2 hours of playing time drained the last 14% so I think it's safe to say that all 2-hour blocks ranged from 13%-16% during this test.

Total running time was, as you can see, 14 hours and 25 minutes. This is great news as far as how well my battery performs when being used but I don't yet know whether it will still drain when the player is turned off.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

EDIT: 10 hours later I turned it back on for a quick check and it's already dropped to 96% with no use. I can't help but think this unit is defective - the fact it was at 0% when I first got it would seem to indicate a problem with the battery draining when not being used.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,223 of 6,262
Hello guys,

So today I have finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a red N3 from a local AV Fair. A couple of questions I have:

1) how does one plug in the USB-C cable? It looks symmetrical, so should I plug the cable with "Cayin" facing the front or the "USB" symbol facing the front? Or it does not matter at all how I plug it?
2) as I was browsing this thread, I saw some mention of a custom firmware? My current firmware is Ver1.0 or 1.1, should I install the custom firmware or install the official firmware from cayin? Are there any known bugs?

Sorry in advance if any of these questions have been asked, but being the lazy ass that I am, I cant fathom the effort to filp through 213 pages of this thread.

Thank-you

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,224 of 6,262
Hello guys,

So today I have finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a red N3 from a local AV Fair. A couple of questions I have:

1) how does one plug in the USB-C cable? It looks symmetrical, so should I plug the cable with "Cayin" facing the front or the "USB" symbol facing the front? Or it does not matter at all how I plug it?
2) as I was browsing this thread, I saw some mention of a custom firmware? My current firmware is Ver1.0 or 1.1, should I install the custom firmware or install the official firmware from cayin? Are there any known bugs?

Sorry in advance if any of these questions have been asked, but being the lazy ass that I am, I cant fathom the effort to filp through 213 pages of this thread.

Thank-you

Try both and see what you like best. I prefer custom 2.0

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,225 of 6,262
Try both and see what you like best. I prefer custom 2.0

Will there be any permanent and irreversible process if I use the custom firmware? I saw the pictures and I am quite liking it.
I know I can just use cayin's firmware whenever I want, but will using a custom firmware flash any internal software to the point of beyond any return?

Thanks

What about my question of the USB C cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back