Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #646 of 751
I've been looking at this amplifier (and the IDAC-6 MK2) as a possible future purchase (looking at a few different amplifiers). However, when I look at Cayin's website there appears to be no US distributor of their amplifiers. Strangely enough, there is also no information on Cayin's warranty either. Earlier in this Head-fi thread there are also people talking about how getting a 120v version automatically revokes the warranty which adds even more to my confusion.

So basically, I'd like to know:

1. What is Cayin's warranty policy? Will getting a 120v version of any of their products actually void the warranty? If the warranty is voided by getting the 120v version, is it safe to use the 230v version with a US wall outlet?

2. Does Cayin repair products that are out of warranty (at the owner's expense of course)?

3. I noticed that ZMF Headphones had this amplifier in stock. Is ZMF a authorized distributor of Cayin products? If not, then what service should I purchase Cayin products from if I do live in the US?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #647 of 751
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-iha-6.21536/reviews#review-27836

@erics75 reply in the comments section of my review got me thinking that I need to check this out.

So I made myself a balanced to 1/4" adapter cable (Amphenol TRS plug, Neutrik 4 pin female XLR and a half meter of Mogami 2549 - job done).
Using the 120Ohm SE output with HD6xx initial impressions are...very positive!

There's definitely a heftier, rounder bottom end but no bleed into mids and no loss of detail (not that the HD6xx is the most resolving headphone to begin with).
Yes, it's a tad warmer but I like it!
Yes, I would say slightly more euphonic (OK, tube-like) which was precisely the result I was hoping for.
HF seem to be largely untouched, but that's perhaps due to me not hearing much above 13kHz...:older_man:

I will need a bit more time to hear if I can pick up on any LF nasties, but so far, so good.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #648 of 751
I've been looking at this amplifier (and the IDAC-6 MK2) as a possible future purchase (looking at a few different amplifiers). However, when I look at Cayin's website there appears to be no US distributor of their amplifiers. Strangely enough, there is also no information on Cayin's warranty either. Earlier in this Head-fi thread there are also people talking about how getting a 120v version automatically revokes the warranty which adds even more to my confusion.

So basically, I'd like to know:

1. What is Cayin's warranty policy? Will getting a 120v version of any of their products actually void the warranty? If the warranty is voided by getting the 120v version, is it safe to use the 230v version with a US wall outlet?

2. Does Cayin repair products that are out of warranty (at the owner's expense of course)?

3. I noticed that ZMF Headphones had this amplifier in stock. Is ZMF a authorized distributor of Cayin products? If not, then what service should I purchase Cayin products from if I do live in the US?

Sorry for my late response, I missed your question until now.

ZMF is our authorized US dealer and MusicTeck is another option. You should be able to order iHA-6 from them. If they don't have any stock on hand, they can place an order for you but that will take a slightly longer time.

We provide repair service or part/components support for our amplifiers indefinitely. The cost might be a bit high as you need to send the product back to China and the shipping cost probably will cost you more than the repair cost we charge at our factory nowadays.

Cayin offers a limited nontransferable warranty to all products sold through an authorized dealer. The warranty is only valid at the original place of purchase. In other words, if you purchase a Cayin amplifier in US, the warranty will only cover within US territory. Alternatively, if you purchase the amplifier from China and ship it to US, the warranty will remain at China and the amplifier will receive no warranty coverage in US.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 9, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #649 of 751
I am interested in this amp but I would like to know what other amps this amp can compare to? Burson Soloist 3xp? Topping A90?

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #650 of 751
I am interested in this amp but I would like to know what other amps this amp can compare to? Burson Soloist 3xp? Topping A90?
It's possibly right between the two - I would guess a touch more accurate than the Burson but not as clinical as the Topping.

I prefer it to the A90 by a large margin. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I didn't enjoy the A90 much. The Cayin is a superior amp.
Perhaps the new discrete version injects some soul into it.

I've not heard the 3X P but I've listened to a number of others and there is a definite "house sound" there.
Very enjoyable amps I thought, even the little Playmate 2, but I prefer the Cayin.

I would agree with John Grandberg that it's very comparable to the now venerable Auralic Taurus Mk2 (at much lower cost it must be said).

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #651 of 751
It's possibly right between the two - I would guess a touch more accurate than the Burson but not as clinical as the Topping.

I prefer it to the A90 by a large margin. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I didn't enjoy the A90 much. The Cayin is a superior amp.
Perhaps the new discrete version injects some soul into it.

I've not heard the 3X P but I've listened to a number of others and there is a definite "house sound" there.
Very enjoyable amps I thought, even the little Playmate 2, but I prefer the Cayin.

I would agree with John Grandberg that it's very comparable to the now venerable Auralic Taurus Mk2 (at much lower cost it must be said).
I haven't heard topping myself but it's a well known amp so I just threw it out there for example. I had a Soloist 3xp and a Soloist GT which was beast of an amp but I sold it because I do most of my listening on my WA22 and because I wanted to but the ZMF Atrium. I am mainly looking at the iha-6 because I own the Verite Closed and Atrium and I've been told they pair well with them because of the higher output impedance. From what i understand the lower output impedance in ss amps causes a higher dampening factor.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #652 of 751
I haven't heard topping myself but it's a well known amp so I just threw it out there for example. I had a Soloist 3xp and a Soloist GT which was beast of an amp but I sold it because I do most of my listening on my WA22 and because I wanted to but the ZMF Atrium. I am mainly looking at the iha-6 because I own the Verite Closed and Atrium and I've been told they pair well with them because of the higher output impedance. From what i understand the lower output impedance in ss amps causes a higher dampening factor.

because of the higher output impedance? I assume you are referring to the "High" impedance 6.35mm phone output. If you are going to use XLR4 or dual XLR3 balanced phone output, the output impedance is around 1 Ohm only.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 10, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #653 of 751
Many were a bit puzzled at Cayin's use of 10Ohm and 120Ohm 6.5mm outputs respectively, as was I initially.
When I plugged my HD6xx into the high impedance output however it all became clear.
The higher damping factor has a definite effect on the 300Ohm Sennheisers which I enjoy.
Deeper bass, even smoother mids and highs and a touch of warmth without adding veil or losing detail.
Not that the Senns are the most resolving cans in the world anyway - this is a fun tweak to be used with the right music.
Acoustic and Female vocal benefit amongst other similar genres.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #654 of 751
because of the higher output impedance? I assume you are referring to the "High" impedance 6.35mm phone output. If you are going to use XLR4 or dual XLR3 balanced phone output, the output impedance is around 1 Ohm only.
Yes exactly. I read the output impedance on low single ended is 10 ohms and high single ended is 120 ohms. That seems like it would be better with my 300 ohm ZMF Atrium and VC than most amps that have an output impedance of below 1. Balanced was .3 ohms is what i read so it seems as if single ended would be the way to go for me.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #655 of 751
Hi,
I use my Hugo2 + iHA6 to drive the Heddphones which sound brilliant powered by the Cayin. I just moved to the bay area earlier this year from Asia and Cayin/Zeppelin Audio were kind enough to send me a conversion kit to turn the amp from 220V to 110V but recommended I get it done by a professional. So now I am looking for said professional :) Any counsel is welcome.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #656 of 751
Hello IHA-6 owners 🤩

I got my IHA-6 and noticed that something is „loose“ inside the device when I flip it backwards…

Does anyone know how to open it?

Thanks for your help and have a good one…

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #657 of 751
Hello IHA-6 owners 🤩

I got my IHA-6 and noticed that something is „loose“ inside the device when I flip it backwards…

Does anyone know how to open it?

Thanks for your help and have a good one…
So just don't flip it backwards...:smile_phones:

Seriously though, I've no idea but can't be too hard.
Here's a pic of the underside with bottom plate removed FWIW (pic credit: Goldensound)

Screenshot 2022-09-24 at 09-03-01 Cayin IHA6 Measurements - GoldenSound.png

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #658 of 751
Has anyone compared this to a D90 discrete, or a Jotunheim 2?

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #659 of 751
I dont have them anymore, but I will give an edge to iha6, it has more power over the d90, treble is clear and cleaner campare to d90 and jotungeim.
However, I can hear the differences between iha6 vs jotuheim. With iha6 vs d90 they both almost similar.

Nov 26, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #660 of 751
Has anyone compared this to a D90 discrete, or a Jotunheim 2?
I think you meant to say A90 Discrete..?
Of course the D90 is a DAC.

I haven't heard the A90D but compared to the OG A90 the Cayin amp is smoother and more accomplished to my ears.
I found the A90 to be a tad clinical and fatiguing personally whereas I can listen to the iHA-6 ad infinitum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back