Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #153 of 286
I'm currently eagerly awaiting a drop-shipment of the Cayin DAC and amp from Hong Kong and have a question:

Is it safe to leave the DAC running unattended due to its tubes? Is this something I should be concerned about avoiding?

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #156 of 286
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Special appreciation to every participant and subscriber of this thread for your patient and positive attitude to Cayin and our product.

As a relatively new comers to the HeadFi community, Cayin owns you all a big thank.

We are looking forward to continue the sound journey with you in 2018.

10046419.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 1, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #157 of 286
Happy New year folks. Just a quick question,is the price cut only for the US? The German site (Cayin.de) still has them for close to 900 euros.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #158 of 286
When connecting from a PC, are there any reasons to favor toslink over USB or vice-versa when it comes to the iDAC-6 specifically? Or do the normal pros and cons of each connection type stand as usual?

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #159 of 286
Pretty much the usual for those formats - Toslink is inherently isolated from certain types of noise, while USB has far greater bandwidth for playing DSD and higher-res PCM. Personally I would choose USB most of the time as Cayin did a very good job on their implementation. But optical isn't terrible by any means (depending on your transport of course).

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #161 of 286
Heard the Iha6 and it was a revelation. One of the most transparent amps with a huge sounstage and a powerful punch.

Im waiting to audition the idac6. How is this as a dedicated dac for a stereo setup? Anyone compare it to the gungnir Delta sigma?

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #164 of 286
Was reading on ebay, that the iDAC6 don't have a voltage switch on the back anymore?
Whats more different?

Correct, that was only on the preproduction models and review units etc. Normal versions are specific to their region.

Heard the Iha6 and it was a revelation. One of the most transparent amps with a huge sounstage and a powerful punch.

Im waiting to audition the idac6. How is this as a dedicated dac for a stereo setup? Anyone compare it to the gungnir Delta sigma?

I use it sometimes with my big setup. Using PS Audio Stellar amp, and before that Merrill Audio Thor monoblocks. Sounds exceptional. I do recommend a dedicated preamp though.... that's not a strong point of the iDAC-6, as it doesn't really have enough "steps" to dial in the right levels.

I didn't care for the Gugnir DS when I heard it. No back to back comparisons, but that wasn't really a DAC that I'd care to live with for very long. Too sharp sounding.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #165 of 286
I believe both outputs are always active - which is pretty standard for DACs with RCA and XLR outputs. So you'd just turn off your headphone amp when not in use, vice versa with your stereo amp.
I can confirm this. I'm currently running RCA out to an iHA-6 and XLR out to an iFi Pro iCAN. Both outputs are always active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back