Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #361 of 3,742
i5**** i have access to the c5 alr and planning to get one in weeks to come. sorry for the typo. :p

when will i5 be in singapore?

The reason why we can launch in US and EU market promptly is because they do not strictly required fully authentication before your products goes on sales. In other word, you can complete the process while you are selling in the market. Taiwan and Japan is very straight and they required fully authenticated before the product can sell in retail shop, so the product launch in these two area will be delayed until the WiFi authentication is completed.

I am not sure about the Singapore authentication process, I'll check this out later.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #362 of 3,742

It is possible that not all the apps/ streaming possibilities are available on i5 as they are/ would be on smart phone, that's why the question. Also I believe there would not be browser support on i5? Correct me if I am wrong. Here is a use case, you may play a song on youtube thru smart phone, but the sound is thru i5 => Bluetooth speakers.

Thanks.

In my case, I always have a small DAC/amp for my phone (Cozoy Aegis) if my DAP's batt runs out. 
If the i5 requires driver (for Windows/Mac) for its DAC/amp function, then I think it wouldn't be possible on Android phone.

Well, i5 has Play Store, so you should be able to download browser. I should have tested it but it didn't cross my mind.
Also it has bluetooth so theoretically it should be able to connect to blueetooth speakers.

So yeah, another duty calling for @Andykong

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #363 of 3,742
That is unfortunate. There will be lots of people interested in hearing your gear there. I've never heard a piece of Cayin gear and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think that this is a missed opportunity. It might be worth sending your German team in, at least. Previous attendance at Canjam SoCal shows that it is possible for the company to show at a headphone oriented event, it would be good to have a presence at Canjam London. I hope you change your mind, or at least make sure your gear makes an appearance through someone who is present. I'd check the exhibitor list and see if there is anyone you might have show off your gear. Your stuff is has interesting designs, and I've heard nothing but good things about the audio quality. I want to hear it and believe it!

We are flattered by your respond, and I told my boss that this the kind of respond that make us devote to what we are doing. :beerchug:

Unfortunately we are a small team in a large organization, and there are only so much we can handle. Within 12 months schedule. we have to cover SoCal (March), Munich, (May), Hong Kong (August), Rocky Mountain (Oct) and possibly Las Vegas (Jan 2017). I spent 7 years in UK from A level to Master degree, so I am really looking forward to revisit London.

I'll convey your applause to our engineering team and I sincerely hope we can make it to London in foreseeable future.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #364 of 3,742
Can i5 work as DAC/AMP for Android phone thru OTG or std. USB cable?

Thanks.

The Type C USB port of i5 can serve as digital input when connect to a source (USB-DAC mode), and the port can work as digital out when connect to a DAC (USB-Transport mode). So theoretically yes to what you proposed, but I haven't been able to test this function yet.

We need a USB Type C to mini USB cable to test this function when the firmware is ready, unfortunately Type-C based USB cable is not very popular right now, so we probably need to find the appropriate adapter to verify this assumptions. I HOPE I can get around to do this by end of June. :beerchug:

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #365 of 3,742
The Type C USB port of i5 can serve as digital input when connect to a source (USB-DAC mode), and the port can work as digital out when connect to a DAC (USB-Transport mode). So theoretically yes to what you proposed, but I haven't been able to test this function yet.

We need a USB Type C to mini USB cable to test this function when the firmware is ready, unfortunately Type-C based USB cable is not very popular right now, so we probably need to find the appropriate adapter to verify this assumptions. I HOPE I can get around to do this by end of June.
beerchug.gif

If you were to use this as a source to an external DAC would it be able to charge at the same time or would you have to remove it to charge it

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #366 of 3,742
It is possible that not all the apps/ streaming possibilities are available on i5 as they are/ would be on smart phone, that's why the question. Also I believe there would not be browser support on i5? Correct me if I am wrong. Here is a use case, you may play a song on youtube thru smart phone, but the sound is thru i5 => Bluetooth speakers.

Thanks.

In my case, I always have a small DAC/amp for my phone (Cozoy Aegis) if my DAP's batt runs out. 
If the i5 requires driver (for Windows/Mac) for its DAC/amp function, then I think it wouldn't be possible on Android phone.

Well, i5 has Play Store, so you should be able to download browser. I should have tested it but it didn't cross my mind.
Also it has bluetooth so theoretically it should be able to connect to blueetooth speakers.

So yeah, another duty calling for @Andykong

Is this what you are referring to ? :D :D

I have tested Youtube on i5, works smoothly but support up to 360P only.

I have also installed a Browser into i5, it works alright but affected the battery duration so I removed it quickly after the test. Maybe the browser has initiated some background tasks in i5.

Someone has tested the i5 with a Bluetooth headphone at Munich, it is fairly straight forward to get it works, but the range of BT is not the strongest in the market, once we go beyond 3m (roughly), there are minor signal drop and disconnection occasional, but I guess 3m is reasonable for a DAP application, I sure won't leave my i5 beyond 3m in public area.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #367 of 3,742
If you were to use this as a source to an external DAC would it be able to charge at the same time or would you have to remove it to charge it

I don't think a DAC will charge the i5 while receiving the bit-stream from the DAP. Again we'll find out when we can test this function in real life.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #368 of 3,742
Andy, Thanks for answering all my questions. Really impressed by the flexibility this device offers. I think going forward, type-C => Micro cable will be easily available.

Regards.

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #369 of 3,742
Well, maybe the quickest way out is to organize a tour and outsource the testing work as early as possible.
biggrin.gif

Btw if you're doing a tour in USA at some point I'd love to get on that!

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #372 of 3,742
^Admin delete please this post went into wrong forum

Sent from my MI 4S using Tapatalk

You can actually go back and edit your post to delete the content :wink:

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #373 of 3,742
HeyAndykong have you got the i5 rolling out in China already?
I have a kinda urgent question. If I buy the one released in China and comes with chinese firmware, which you said has no Play Store, would it be possible to update it later when international firmware out?

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #374 of 3,742
any more news on i5? 
from @Andykong post, it should be released in china mainland by 6th june, so it's should be available already by now
really intrigued to hear firsthand user experience on this DAP

someone in my country offering to order directly from mainland china, but i won't take a bet and will wait for a stable release with global firmware.
still, really curious about an early impression of the final product

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #375 of 3,742
Hey@Andykong have you got the i5 rolling out in China already?
I have a kinda urgent question. If I buy the one released in China and comes with chinese firmware, which you said has no Play Store, would it be possible to update it later when international firmware out?

lol, looks like we thought same things, i'm late by a minute though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back