Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 19, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #151 of 1,943
Curious how people will tube roll here. As much as I love tube sound I don't have the patience for trying out 2 dozen tube combinations 🥴
Well... you should never get a Glenn OTL (GOTL) amp, then!
The GOTL supports WAY WAY more tube combinations :wink:

May 20, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #153 of 1,943
Haha thanks. Hiss on every single tube I tried. The WA22 shootout my be a bit delayed as I'm talking with Andy K about the issue. Hopefully we can get it rectified.

From memory on the driver tubee, the new production Mullards I was using make a slight difference but I much preferred the sound from the NOS Sylvanias.

Curious how people will tube roll here. As much as I love tube sound I don't have the patience for trying out 2 dozen tube combinations 🥴
I am sure you are going to like the warmth of the Woo Audio amps , i tried them before , nice amps but too much lacking in details for my taste though my listening was before long time ago on the WA6\WA5 not the WA22 , so a fresh more matching comparison would be nice ,

About tubes same here I don't have the patience to mix and match so i just ordered Tung-Sol EL34 as alternative to the stock , for the 12AU7 i ordered Tung-Sol , Mullard , Gold Lion all reissue and one pair NOS Brimar CV4003 which i liked so much with my Crack amp , i couldn't find Sylvania for a good price so i will keep searching , later i may explore more tubes but after giving it a listen with these regular tubes.

May 20, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #154 of 1,943
May 20, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #155 of 1,943
To the best of our knowledge, this is the first ever tube headphone amplifier offers triode and ultra-linear mode selection, if you know of any previous product equipped with similar features, please let us know and we'll be most delighted to explore the pros and cons of different implementations.

Not sure if you were also including DIY, but Elekit TU-8800 does Triode/UL modes, with 3 B+ settings to go anywhere from 6v6/6f6 to kt88/kt150. Very similar features to the Cayin. Although the TU-8800 doesn't have output impedance switch, that is a killer feature.

Overall the Cayin HA-6A looks like an amazing amp. Packed with features, really looks like an end-game totl headphone amp.
If I didn't already own a bespoke pentode headamp I'd jump on it.

If I was to change only one thing on the HA-6A, it would have been nice if it used standard 2/3amp full wave rectifier (5r4/5u4 families) instead of two half wave 22DE4 tubes.

May 21, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #156 of 1,943
I just got the amp and the build quality is second to none , very amazing ,

i didnt play it for long time nether did any burning but i can confirm the hiss on the balanced output even in low gain , i am using power conditioner and high quality power cable and this hiss does not occur in any other amp , so i guess i will give it few days and try to swap tubes which i already bought , hopefully this issue will get sorted.

ZbYUBTT.jpg

Naz8VKh.jpg

YvHOaNA.jpg

ahSxXET.jpg

and here is a comparison to AudioGD Master 9 though the HA6A feel much heavier

bCBsFPk.jpg

May 21, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #157 of 1,943
What a beautiful monster. Thanks for the great pics.

Wondering how HA-300 owners are getting no hiss while the HA-6A gets it on balanced out. I'm guessing it's due to the TR/UL switching circuitry.

Do you get the hiss on planars?

May 21, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #158 of 1,943
What a beautiful monster. Thanks for the great pics.

Wondering how HA-300 owners are getting no hiss while the HA-6A gets it on balanced out. I'm guessing it's due to the TR/UL switching circuitry.

Do you get the hiss on planars?
On the HE6SE no hiss at all , and this amp can power it easily ,,
The HEKse there is little hiss though it is very sensitive headphone so i would say planers get less hiss in general , later i will try the 1266

May 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #160 of 1,943
Has anyone compared against the Ha-1a mkii?
I am thinking about selling it to upgrade, this seems like a direct upgrade
I think HA6A is on different level to HA1A.... i will consider it's top end HP amp for those who don't prefer 300B..... once the hissing issue is sorted.

May 25, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #161 of 1,943
on which headphone output does the hiss sound and is it loud ?

May 25, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #162 of 1,943
Has anyone compared against the Ha-1a mkii?
I am thinking about selling it to upgrade, this seems like a direct upgrade

I do it, i receive 8 june, but now i'm afraid because there is a hiss output, maybe i delete my request.

May 25, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #163 of 1,943
I do it, i receive 8 june, but now i'm afraid because there is a hiss output, maybe i delete my request.
Reading through the thread has left me wondering how loud the hiss is, it seems like it’s only with the balanced output.
Considering the balanced lowest power output 1000mw and can reach 4500mw (depending on tubes and setting) It doesn’t seem that unexpected to me.
On my 1A-HA mk2 I never even go to half volume... maybe I should consider something with less power

May 25, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #164 of 1,943
Reading through the thread has left me wondering how loud the hiss is, it seems like it’s only with the balanced output.
Considering the balanced lowest power output 1000mw and can reach 4500mw (depending on tubes and setting) It doesn’t seem that unexpected to me.
On my 1A-HA mk2 I never even go to half volume... maybe I should consider something with less power
You are from Canada, where ? maybe you speak french ?
I look Felik Audio Euphoria, but i want HA-6A, i like this look and i m very happy for my HA-1A MK II.

May 25, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #165 of 1,943
You are from Canada, where ? maybe you speak french ?
I look Felik Audio Euphoria, but i want HA-6A, i like this look and i m very happy for my HA-1A MK II.

Yea, I love my HA1A mk2 had it for 2 years, that’s why I was I interested in the HA-6A. Are you able to return the HA-6A if it has to much noise?

I’m in Halifax and we don’t have many tube amps to demo. I think the closest Cayin dealer is in Quebec

I was in Quebec last summer I couldn’t believe how much French I had forgotten, I used to be pretty okay now I can barely say bonjour, but I can read French okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back