Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 11, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #124 of 1,937
Thanks for the nice words! I'm doing a WA22 vs HA-6A video soon. I'll test out the impedance differences then.

Octavian I wish I had some nice Beyer's. How do you like them with tube amps?

You are doing God's work lol.
Look very forward to this.. only wish you had an Empy to use in these comparisons too. :)

May 12, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #126 of 1,937
Hi all!

I am very interested in the HA-6A.
Is there noise with low impedance headphones? Or is he dead silence?

Best regards,

Dietmar
I get zero noise from low impedance planars. With dynamics there are hiss issues at 4-pin XLR out + high impedance selected. Andy Kong explains why two pages back or so but it's basically because of the massive amount of power being outputted with that combination.

I'll try a low impedance dynamic + single ended out + low impedance selected later and will let you know how it sounds.

May 13, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #127 of 1,937
Just confirming there is still hiss but only on dynamics. If you have dynamics you'll only want to use the single ended output for them. Tested 32, 70, and 300Ω dynamics and got major hiss on the balanced 4-pin XLR port. This is both in the stock tube configuration and my NOS tube config.

If you have planars then both the single and balanced outputs will exhibit zero noise.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #129 of 1,937
I have a Meze Empyrean, Hifiman HE1000SE and Abyss Phi TC.
All with XLR balanced connection.
Does anyone have any experience? Hum?

Best,

Dietmar
I puled the trigger and expecting mine within few weeks ,
my main use would be with dynamics (HD800/6x0/ADX5000) but lets see how it perform with planers (HEKse/HE6se/OG Abyss).

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #130 of 1,937
Just confirming there is still hiss but only on dynamics. If you have dynamics you'll only want to use the single ended output for them. Tested 32, 70, and 300Ω dynamics and got major hiss on the balanced 4-pin XLR port. This is both in the stock tube configuration and my NOS tube config.

If you have planars then both the single and balanced outputs will exhibit zero noise.
Is your power grounded ?

May 13, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #131 of 1,937
Is your power grounded ?
Yes, tried two different power sockets in different rooms too just to confirm.

Congrats on your HA-6A purchase!! You'll have to let me know how yours handles dynamic cans. Want to know if I need to reach out to Cayin :x

May 13, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #132 of 1,937
Yes, tried two different power sockets in different rooms too just to confirm.

Congrats on your HA-6A purchase!! You'll have to let me know how yours handles dynamic cans. Want to know if I need to reach out to Cayin :x
Thanks , actually your last video was the motive to try this amp more and more hehe , so i should thank you ,
i was tempted to try its bigger brother the HA300 but the lack of push/pull thing was a factor because i like more options for tweeks , beside that i felt it is overpowered for my needs so i went for the HA6A, hopefully the hiss would not be an issue but will see how it goes.

May 13, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #133 of 1,937
Thanks , actually your last video was the motive to try this amp more and more hehe , so i should thank you ,
i was tempted to try its bigger brother the HA300 but the lack of push/pull thing was a factor because i like more options for tweeks , beside that i felt it is overpowered for my needs so i went for the HA6A, hopefully the hiss would not be an issue but will see how it goes.
Hah, that's great! Just noticed your DAC too, this is what I'm listening to right now :beerchug:

IMG_20200513_105221.jpg

May 13, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #134 of 1,937
May 16, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #135 of 1,937
can i ask if that hiss on balanced is very obvious during between songs or low passages pf music

are all tubes amps that are balanced suffer from noise, like i am looking at woo audio w22. which is bout the same price

did anyone compare cayin ha-6e to woo audio w22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back