Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #916 of 1,947
Thought I’d share a couple of impressions that have really changed my opinion of this amp for the better, and practically completely fixed the hum / hiss issue.

Like many of you, I use the HA-6A with high impedance cans, in my case the ZMF VCs and Aeolus. And, like many of you, this combination leads to an audible noise floor that can range from kinda quiet to very distracting. For me it was affected most by different 12AU7 tubes, but there was no rhyme or reason - I have some that are dead quiet, some that are ridiculously loud, and more than one pair of certain types that fall into both camps.

I’d got to the point where I was trying other amps to see if I could get the same sound but without the problems. One of my favourites was the Feliks Euforia AE, but not for the sound signature. It was way too neutral, but it did have an enormous soundstage - it filled every corner of the headphones, if that makes sense. It was also super quiet, but the sound didn’t have that particular tube magic, so it was sent back.

Then I happened across a comment over in the ZMF VC thread, where another user recommended the HA-6A for them, but only with an adapter. Curious, I messaged to find out what adapter they meant, and was put in touch with Skedra. Turns out Skedra also owns the HA-6A along with the ZMF VCs, and he also found the noise floor bothersome. Fortunately he also makes high-end cables over at Viking Audio, and decided to make himself an impedance adapter to fix the hiss problem.

After a bit of back and forth I ordered one, and it arrived super quick. It’s a short balanced adapter with a choice of litz cables, with the magic sauce being resistors built into the XLR connectors.

The difference it's made to my amp is night and day. The background is black, I’ve got way more play with volume, and I can now tube roll again without hiss being a deciding factor. I can hear all the different characteristics of my tubes, and can listen to scores with a wide dynamic range again. It’s almost like getting a brand new amp, and it’s put a stop to me hunting for a new one.

The second impression is of some KT-88 tubes, specifically the PSvane Mk-II versions. These are a touch more neutral than the ones that come as stock, but they have much better extension at both ends. Better still, the soundstage increases in width, but particularly in height. Using these almost rivals the soundstage I was getting from the Feliks Euforia, and now I get the black background thanks to the adapter, too. As for the 12AU7s (for those interested), I've found that I prefer either RCA Clear Tops for a really wide and detailed sound without fatigue, or the Mullard CV4003 for a similar sound but with more focus on the mids and slightly less top end extension. Both options still sound thick and lush in the mids, but with loads of detail thanks to the Psvane Kt88s.

If you’re interested in ordering one of the impedance adapters just drop Skedra a message. The guy is super helpful, very knowledgeable, and his work is spot on.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #917 of 1,947
Thought I’d share a couple of impressions that have really changed my opinion of this amp for the better, and practically completely fixed the hum / hiss issue.

Like many of you, I use the HA-6A with high impedance cans, in my case the ZMF VCs and Aeolus. And, like many of you, this combination leads to an audible noise floor that can range from kinda quiet to very distracting. For me it was affected most by different 12AU7 tubes, but there was no rhyme or reason - I have some that are dead quiet, some that are ridiculously loud, and more than one pair of certain types that fall into both camps.

I’d got to the point where I was trying other amps to see if I could get the same sound but without the problems. One of my favourites was the Feliks Euforia AE, but not for the sound signature. It was way too neutral, but it did have an enormous soundstage - it filled every corner of the headphones, if that makes sense. It was also super quiet, but the sound didn’t have that particular tube magic, so it was sent back.

Then I happened across a comment over in the ZMF VC thread, where another user recommended the HA-6A for them, but only with an adapter. Curious, I messaged to find out what adapter they meant, and was put in touch with Skedra. Turns out Skedra also owns the HA-6A along with the ZMF VCs, and he also found the noise floor bothersome. Fortunately he also makes high-end cables over at Viking Audio, and decided to make himself an impedance adapter to fix the hiss problem.

After a bit of back and forth I ordered one, and it arrived super quick. It’s a short balanced adapter with a choice of litz cables, with the magic sauce being resistors built into the XLR connectors.

The difference it's made to my amp is night and day. The background is black, I’ve got way more play with volume, and I can now tube roll again without hiss being a deciding factor. I can hear all the different characteristics of my tubes, and can listen to scores with a wide dynamic range again. It’s almost like getting a brand new amp, and it’s put a stop to me hunting for a new one.

The second impression is of some KT-88 tubes, specifically the PSvane Mk-II versions. These are a touch more neutral than the ones that come as stock, but they have much better extension at both ends. Better still, the soundstage increases in width, but particularly in height. Using these almost rivals the soundstage I was getting from the Feliks Euforia, and now I get the black background thanks to the adapter, too. As for the 12AU7s (for those interested), I've found that I prefer either RCA Clear Tops for a really wide and detailed sound without fatigue, or the Mullard CV4003 for a similar sound but with more focus on the mids and slightly less top end extension. Both options still sound thick and lush in the mids, but with loads of detail thanks to the Psvane Kt88s.

If you’re interested in ordering one of the impedance adapters just drop Skedra a message. The guy is super helpful, very knowledgeable, and his work is spot on.
Will be very good if you upload the photo with adapter please.

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #919 of 1,947
I’m at work at the moment but will be able to over the next couple days.

It’s very unassuming though. It’s 20cm in length, black paracord cable and a male and female xlr connector at either end. Whilst it looks well made, it’s not obvious what it is.
Is that the similar item what we had discussed at the end of the page 17 and 18 on this forum?
Relaxarus has got XLR one, but did not like the sound alteration.
I have used Ifi 3.5mm one, but my new replaced unit does not have this hiss problem anymore, so do not need it.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #920 of 1,947
I’m not sure if the method used is the same. It’d be best to message Skedra as he’s likely to explain it better than I am.

As far as I can tell, there’s no degradation of sound. In fact, due to the blacker background I can hear more now, and there’s similar levels of detail to solid state. Also, I’m not noticing any change in sound signature. If there is one, it’s not something I can pick up on from the simple tests I’ve done, so that works for me.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #921 of 1,947
I’m not sure if the method used is the same. It’d be best to message Skedra as he’s likely to explain it better than I am.

As far as I can tell, there’s no degradation of sound. In fact, due to the blacker background I can hear more now, and there’s similar levels of detail to solid state. Also, I’m not noticing any change in sound signature. If there is one, it’s not something I can pick up on from the simple tests I’ve done, so that works for me.
Thanks. Link to Skedra, please, and how much if not a secret?

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #922 of 1,947
Thanks. Link to Skedra, please, and how much if not a secret?
It's nearly too easy. It's the Name of a head-fi User.
@skedra , @kimdeug wants to know about your impedance Adapter if I understood that correctly.

Kim you can also just click on his Name in my Post and "Start s private message"

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #923 of 1,947
It's nearly too easy. It's the Name of a head-fi User.
@skedra , @kimdeug wants to know about your impedance Adapter if I understood that correctly.

Kim you can also just click on his Name in my Post and "Start s private message"
Thanks ThanatosVI.
Just have a little free time, and was thinking to make one by myself as have a lot of resistors and cables around.
Not critically needed, just in case of some noisy tubes during the rolling

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #924 of 1,947
Does anybody know if the KT170 works in the HA-6a without causing a major meltdown. Forgive me if that has been discussed before ...

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #925 of 1,947
Does anybody know if the KT170 works in the HA-6a without causing a major meltdown. Forgive me if that has been discussed before ...
No KT120, KT150 and KT170 need too much current.
Only KT88 are supported (and EL34 depending on switch position)

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #926 of 1,947
Congrats. If you like sweet sound try the Sylvania 12AU7 NOS, They are very cheap around 10$ each green print. British made tubes Mullard, Brimar and CV.4003... not sure as do not remember the number are also sweet and soft. Do not be fullished by gold pins, like reissued JJ or ElectroHarmonics or Genalex or chinees Psvan gold pins tubes. They are looking nice, but is it all about the sound? I am listening with Tesla ECC802S now, and they are so close to 10 times expensive Telefunken E82CC. Regards, Kim

PS, for EL34 rolling try Reissued Russian Genalex KT77 tubes.

I would like to buy Tesla ECC802S but Im not sure which one should I buy(white or yellow logo) are they the same sound?

Where did you buy it from? Thank you.

974-2.jpg

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #927 of 1,947
No KT120, KT150 and KT170 need too much current.
Only KT88 are supported (and EL34 depending on switch position)
Yup, understood. For some reason I thought the KT170 needed less ...

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #928 of 1,947
Yup, understood. For some reason I thought the KT170 needed less ...
KT77 needs less (elwctrically identical to EL34 6AC7)

Maybe that was the type you had in mind?

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #929 of 1,947
KT77 needs less (elwctrically identical to EL34 6AC7)

Maybe that was the type you had in mind?
No, I really did refer to the KT170 big bois :)

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #930 of 1,947
I would like to buy Tesla ECC802S but Im not sure which one should I buy(white or yellow logo) are they the same sound?

Where did you buy it from? Thank you.

974-2.jpg
They are the same. Yellow are old production batch. I have a white one, but if I had a chance I will take a yellow lable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back