Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #886 of 1,943
Nov 29, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #887 of 1,943
Hi, I have been using this for a few days. Initially there was hum on all outputs and gain settings, it was fixed by removing the hdmi connection to my Pioneer LX800. I still can hear very subtle current sound on the middle level gain of XLR output. Other than this, others are quiet enough.

I do have a question want to hear experience from you guys. I am using HD800 via XLR output. The source is LX800->XLR->HA-6A. It is loud enough even with volume knob at between 8 - 10 o'clock and low gain. Is it normal?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #888 of 1,943
Hi, I have been using this for a few days. Initially there was hum on all outputs and gain settings, it was fixed by removing the hdmi connection to my Pioneer LX800. I still can hear very subtle current sound on the middle level gain of XLR output. Other than this, others are quiet enough.

I do have a question want to hear experience from you guys. I am using HD800 via XLR output. The source is LX800->XLR->HA-6A. It is loud enough even with volume knob at between 8 - 10 o'clock and low gain. Is it normal?
It would mostly depend on what you personally consider "loud enough". Other than that - yes, with the HD-800 I often listen around the 9-11 o'clock mark as well with my setup ...

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #889 of 1,943

Glad to know you have solved the hum noise problem to a larger extend. The HDMI cable is connected between your LX800 and TV? or between LX800 with an AV amplifier? Wonder where is the source of the hum noise, did you connect any USB peripheral to your TV or AV amplifier?

For the record, like most tube amplifier, the HA-6A didn't has a gain control feature. The HA-6A has three stages of amplification: 12AU7, KT88/EL34, and output transformer. None of these amplification stages can adjust "gain ratio" like a solid state amplifier, so unless we include a solid state amplification stage in the circuit (and the HA-6A become a hybrid amplifier instead of a tube amplifier), we can't offer gain control as a lot of users have anticipated.

The H/M/L switch select the corresponding impedance matching outputs from the output transformer, they were designed to improve the handling against different impedance loading. We have listed the impedance in the specification. L: 8~64Ω; M: 65~250Ω; and H: 251~600Ω. Be reminded that these conducted in analogue domain, they are not exact science like 0 and 1, so if your headphone are rated at 50Ω, you can try both L and M and determine which one sounds better to your ears. But if you were using 24Ω or 32Ω, that L is probably your most likely choice.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 1, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #890 of 1,943
Glad to know you have solved the hum noise problem to a larger extend. The HDMI cable is connected between your LX800 and TV? or between LX800 with an AV amplifier? Wonder where is the source of the hum noise, did you connect any USB peripheral to your TV or AV amplifier?

For the record, like most tube amplifier, the HA-6A didn't has a gain control feature. The HA-6A has three stages of amplification: 12AU7, KT88/EL34, and output transformer. None of these amplification stages can adjust "gain ratio" like a solid state amplifier, so unless we include a solid state amplification stage in the circuit (and the HA-6A become a hybrid amplifier instead of a tube amplifier), we can't offer gain control as a lot of users have anticipated.

The H/M/L switch select the corresponding impedance matching outputs from the output transformer, they were designed to improve the handling against different impedance loading. We have listed the impedance in the specification. L: 8~64Ω; M: 65~250Ω; and H: 251~600Ω. Be reminded that these conducted in analogue domain, they are not exact science like 0 and 1, so if your headphone are rated at 50Ω, you can try both L and M and determine which one sounds better to your ears. But if you were using 24Ω or 32Ω, that L is probably your most likely choice.
Hi, it is the HDMI cable to a Samsung TV. BTW, I eventually can turn on H, and volume knob at 12-1pm by connecting the old AKG K-1000. This amp is really capable.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #891 of 1,943
White Noise Test

Hello Cayin HA-6A lovers.

Finally have got little bit time, so have conducted some tests to investigate the hissing issue on HA-6A.
To eliminate all speculations about dirty signal coming IN, this test has been conducted without any audio inputs XLR or RCA connected. Means: No any input cables has been plugged to HA-6A, except power cable to operate. In this situation, I tried to create the most ideal for HA-6A operation room environment, with attention to Clean power supply. OK, Lets do the White Noise Test......

Equipments: Ha-6A, Power Filter Belkin PureAV PF40, Heavily Shielded Power Cables KRELL 20A, DC Blocker Supra MD Mk3
Headphones: Sennh HD800S, 6XX, ZMF Auteur, Focal Elex, Sony MDR Z-7

Room environment: All electronics are plugged OFF (except the lighting), Wi Fi is off, Mobile phone in the next room.

DC Block >> Power Filter >> HA-6A >> Headphones

Results: In my situation, adding or removing the power filter and DC blocker from the power chain has not changed the noise coming out from HA-6A. It means no any changes in tonality, loudness, and character of noise - all was the same. The same about Heavy shielded power cables.
The noise can be described as combination of Humm and Hiss in proportion (Humm/Hiss) as 20/80 or 30/70 at Volume position Zero/Minimum.
The noise becomes louder with increasing the Volume.
The humming noise does not increase with hissing noise.
While Hissing noise increases linearly with Volume Up (but much slower), Humm noise remains at the same level, and only with Volume around 3 o'clock, suddenly becomes more loud and creates distortion.

The noise was present at all impedances and all outputs.
The noise was more noticeable/louder on high impedance and XLR output selection,while on 1/4 and Low impedance was the lowest.
Switching from Triode to Ultra-linear mod, made the noise more louder.
Low sensitivity headphones made the noise less noticeable.
Only one Volume step above zero makes 6XX sound loud. Next 3 steps - too loud. Other 21 actuator steps are not usable on Hi Impedance for 6XX, HD800S and ZMF Auteur.

Conclusion: At this stage it is clear that the source of Hissing noise is coming out from Ha-6A and not related to the power supplied. Very high gain does not benefit hi impedance headphones to shine. In opposite, it brings distortion on the last Volume actuator steps. By the character of noise, I can assume, it relates to Transformer power filtering and impedance matching issues, probably before amplifying stage.
The presents of noise is very audible and unacceptable for this price range equipment. Looks like you are listening music via old radio with all existing interferences.
In this stage I will pack the unit and will send it back to the dealer tomorrow.

Regards,
Kim
20200723_200332.jpg
20200723_200419.jpg20200723_202922.jpg20200723_215808.jpg
I stumbled upon Krell Cable on Black Friday Sales. I was like I saw this cable somewhere.....and finally, I found that it is from here. :smile:

How is your opinion of getting this cable? Is there any upgrade regarding audio quality? I only power HA-6A through the wall without a power conditioner.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #892 of 1,943
I stumbled upon Krell Cable on Black Friday Sales. I was like I saw this cable somewhere.....and finally, I found that it is from here. :smile:

How is your opinion of getting this cable? Is there any upgrade regarding audio quality? I only power HA-6A through the wall without a power conditioner.
love it so much. Bought 10 more on 11.11 sale. Not sure about improve the sound, but aesthetically and shielded design are definitely pleasing my eyes and biasing my ears too.
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000164163717.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.45944c4dFolAU9

This one is better as slightly lighter.
The Cryo series is more heavier and stiffer. I have bought 20A sockets and converted them into the monoblock amps supply cables.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #894 of 1,943
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #895 of 1,943
216C212A-AFA3-4D6B-ADAA-09EFD5F73690.jpeg

I was free, so I had the idea of “tubes in the dark” popped up to my mind. Just took one to add to the forum gallery.
……Might do KT88 later

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #896 of 1,943
Hi, is it possible to connect the 4.4mm balanced outputs of a portable headphone DAC to the RCA input via a 4.4mm_2_RCA cable? Will it damage the amp or the DAC? Thanks for the reply.

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #897 of 1,943
Hello everyone, after a considerable amount of research and contemplation/consideration of alternatives, I made the plunge from solid state to tube and now have a Cayin HA-6A! yay, I do however have a serious problem with my using it for which I'm now seeking some help.

When connected in my normal chain as Deezer HIFI/PC > silver plated USB > BRZHIFI DDC (digital to digital converter/clocker) > silver plated AES > XD05-Bal (BRZHIFI external linear power supply) functioning as DAC through aux port > silver plated 3.5-2RCA > HA-6A > ZMF stock OFC balanced cable > ZMF Verite open, I constantly have an electrical noise coming through the phones, sounds most like an old dial up modem, first thing I tried was to disconnect the AES cable and connect my phone to the DAC via USB, no electrical noise, with that I just hear the background hum that everyone here talks about, the one that is worst when on high impedance/UL mode, the to be expected HA-6A hum.

This indicates that the problem was coming from the PC, the amp itself was not faulty (background hum aside), a relief to be sure but I was still left with a serious use problem, before anyone says "just use your phone or streamer as the source then" I use my PC for everything this includes not just my music streaming but also video and much more importantly games, I'm a hardcore gamer (& proud of it) a big part of getting the HA-6A was for my games, so a streamer is not an option, I need my PC in the chain. With that said I have tried a few things to see what I could do about the noise, I changed the USB cable (from the PC) and tried them in different sockets, I changed the AES cable and tried a coaxial cable (from the DDC) I replaced the DAC with a schitt modi 3 connected with pure silver RCA cables to the amp and I changed the amps power cord, initially it shared the same strip the PC is plugged into, I tried on a second strip from the adjacent socket and now it's on a third strip from an outlet on the other side of the room (can't go any further than that) none of these things eliminated the electrical noise coming from the phones.

So at this point I need some advice on how to proceed with this problem, as is I can't really use the amp, so I can't really give any impressions just yet, it's disappointing but I know it has to have a solution, I can't be the only person connecting it to a PC chain, I read a great deal (this whole thread) and compared to its competitors (based on reviews) before getting this amp, it gives the tube performance and rollability I've really craved, so I'm keeping chin up that this can all be resolved.

Pic of the Amp on a temp stand, having a proper wooden side table made but the lacquering isn't finished and it takes weeks to dry
IMG_20211224_210941.jpg

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #899 of 1,943
Hello everyone, after a considerable amount of research and contemplation/consideration of alternatives, I made the plunge from solid state to tube and now have a Cayin HA-6A! yay, I do however have a serious problem with my using it for which I'm now seeking some help.

When connected in my normal chain as Deezer HIFI/PC > silver plated USB > BRZHIFI DDC (digital to digital converter/clocker) > silver plated AES > XD05-Bal (BRZHIFI external linear power supply) functioning as DAC through aux port > silver plated 3.5-2RCA > HA-6A > ZMF stock OFC balanced cable > ZMF Verite open, I constantly have an electrical noise coming through the phones, sounds most like an old dial up modem, first thing I tried was to disconnect the AES cable and connect my phone to the DAC via USB, no electrical noise, with that I just hear the background hum that everyone here talks about, the one that is worst when on high impedance/UL mode, the to be expected HA-6A hum.

This indicates that the problem was coming from the PC, the amp itself was not faulty (background hum aside), a relief to be sure but I was still left with a serious use problem, before anyone says "just use your phone or streamer as the source then" I use my PC for everything this includes not just my music streaming but also video and much more importantly games, I'm a hardcore gamer (& proud of it) a big part of getting the HA-6A was for my games, so a streamer is not an option, I need my PC in the chain. With that said I have tried a few things to see what I could do about the noise, I changed the USB cable (from the PC) and tried them in different sockets, I changed the AES cable and tried a coaxial cable (from the DDC) I replaced the DAC with a schitt modi 3 connected with pure silver RCA cables to the amp and I changed the amps power cord, initially it shared the same strip the PC is plugged into, I tried on a second strip from the adjacent socket and now it's on a third strip from an outlet on the other side of the room (can't go any further than that) none of these things eliminated the electrical noise coming from the phones.

So at this point I need some advice on how to proceed with this problem, as is I can't really use the amp, so I can't really give any impressions just yet, it's disappointing but I know it has to have a solution, I can't be the only person connecting it to a PC chain, I read a great deal (this whole thread) and compared to its competitors (based on reviews) before getting this amp, it gives the tube performance and rollability I've really craved, so I'm keeping chin up that this can all be resolved.

Pic of the Amp on a temp stand, having a proper wooden side table made but the lacquering isn't finished and it takes weeks to dry
Hi.
May be WI Fi or Bluetooth interference from computer. In my case I have to move 4 meters away from computer and Wi Fi router because of it. Try to connect directly to other sources excluding computer DAC. Like to TV via RCA or CD player if possible. Or try to connect laptop to the DAC, but switch off WI FI, and play music saved on laptop (without WiFi and Power Supply -use laptop battery). This will give you an idea where the noise comes from. Is it USB ground noise or radio frequency Interference as Wi Fi or Anything else (in my case the LED strip regulator block behind the desk was causing this problem).

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Regards,
Kim

20211225_132752.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #900 of 1,943

IMG_20211224_210941.jpg
Just a very quick thought, have you tried different USB ports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back