Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #556 of 1,943
how about kt120 and kt150 as replacement for kt66?
Cayin Ha-6a can't power KT120 and KT150 as they draw more plate current.

If I had to Name a downside of this amp, this would be it!

If they ever upgrade the amp to be able to Support this, I'd send mine in for the upgrade

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #557 of 1,943
how about kt120 and kt150 as replacement for kt66?
hello my friend,

For KT KT120 and 150 I don't think they will be compatible, because the heater current needed is higher than kt88 (1.9A vs 1.6A), and it will put more effort in the power transformer.
that can result in more heat generated as well as transformer core saturation.

Unless @Andykong says the transformer has enough margin to take it, I would'nt try.

For KT 66, they should be compatible,because heater current is lower (1.3A) but, they have only a 25w dissipation rating in comparison to the 42w rating of kt 88.
depending on the operating voltages and Bias , they could run too hot if you let the rear switch in Kt88 mode. You can try with the switch on the EL34 setting to be safe, and see how that sounds.

In the official documentation, kt66 is stated to be compatible in el34mode :

1610980632733.png

KT66 is a beautifully linear tube, results should be good. I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to hear from you if you do try them !

for power tubes i tried kt88, el34, 6ca7,6l6gc, kt77
personnaly, I like 6l6gc best for my utopias, and el34 best for my planar hifiman arya

in general i find kt88 to be hifi , almost solid state like with great bass and details,lacks a bit in refinement, and el34 more romantic and refined with emphasize on mids and rounder sound, good soundstage.
kt77 are like el 34 but with more highs and lows, but a bit unrefined.
6l6gc are very lush with good balance and nice details and nice soundstage
6ca7 where a bright and very detailled, refined, and pleasant but only lasted about 2 months ( don't know if they were faulty to begin with or if the amp run them too hot )

if you try kt66, I will wait for your impressions !

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #558 of 1,943
hello my friend,

For KT KT120 and 150 I don't think they will be compatible, because the heater current needed is higher than kt88 (1.9A vs 1.6A), and it will put more effort in the power transformer.

Unless @Andykong says the transformer has enough margin to take it, I would'nt try.

For KT 66, they should be compatible,because heater current is lower (1.3A) but, they have only a 25w dissipation rating in comparison to the 42w rating of kt 88.
depending on the operating voltages and Bias , they could run too hot if you let the rear switch in Kt88 mode. You can try with the switch on the EL34 setting to be safe, and see how that sounds.

1610980632733.png

KT66 is a beautifully linear tube, results should be good. I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to hear from you if you do try them !

personnaly, I like 6l6gc best for my utopias, and el34 best for my planar hifiman arya

in general i find kt88 to be hifi , almost solid state like with great bass and details,lacks a bit in refinement, and el34 more romantic and refined with emphasize on mids and rounder sound, good soundstage.
6ca7 where a bright and very detailled, refined, and pleasant but only lasted about 2 months ( don't know if they were faulty to begin with or if the amp run them too hot )

Thank You for such detailed reply!
I have to say I consider new tubes made in russia instead of NOS because it's here)))... just rolled 12au7 from Sylvania but not so much difference I'd say... I changed HP so that could be reason!
About power tubes... kt88 and 6f8g (on my DAC) made sound more timbre and good soundstage. This is my choice for today...
I liked el34 and I'm looking on more lush sound with more harmonics but with more details than EHX EL34.. idea to switch between 2 worlds... kt88 like SS amp and something really warm and lush... what it's gonna be?
I went back and forth with tube seller...he suggested kt120 and kt150 but it's not an option anymore... kt66 is drier than kt88 he said (?)... so I might look on el34 from Mullard? He seel tung-sol, genalex, Mullard, soviet, Svetlana, electro harmonix.... kinda a mess..
Thanks!!
Nik

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #559 of 1,943
I have to say I consider new tubes made in russia instead of NOS because it's here)))... just rolled 12au7 from Sylvania but not so much difference I'd say... I changed HP so that could be reason!
About power tubes... kt88 and 6f8g (on my DAC) made sound more timbre and good soundstage. This is my choice for today...
I liked el34 and I'm looking on more lush sound with more harmonics but with more details than EHX EL34.. idea to switch between 2 worlds... kt88 like SS amp and something really warm and lush... what it's gonna be?
I went back and forth with tube seller...he suggested kt120 and kt150 but it's not an option anymore... kt66 is drier than kt88 he said (?)... so I might look on el34 from Mullard? He seel tung-sol, genalex, Mullard, soviet, Svetlana, electro harmonix.... kinda a mess..
Thanks!!
Nik
If you search for something in between KT88 and EL34, I recommend the Gold Lion KT77.

If it had more Extension it would be perfect. They are quite cheap, so testing them can't hurt.

However I'm also interested to hear warm and lush tubes, especially in the preamp section. (Current production units)

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #560 of 1,943
Thanks!!
Nik

My friend,

You want the 6l6wgc blackplates
Those are the ones I personnaly prefer, they have spent the most of time in my ha 6a...
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/6l6wgc-str-blackplate-ge-style-tad-premium-matched?number=RT812

Or from your russian seller, try to get tung sol 5881.

I have yet to try the 6550 as well
They are the go to in bass amps...

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #561 of 1,943
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #562 of 1,943
And the TAD KT88-STR Blackplates. Those have actually the superior bass compared to the 6550

Have you heard them in the ha 6a ? I was evaluating between the 6550 and kt88 blackplates for my next try....

I have too much tubes XD
It is going out of hand.....

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #563 of 1,943
Have you heard them in the ha 6a ? I was evaluating between the 6550 and kt88 blackplates for my next try....

I have too much tubes XD
It is going out of hand.....
Not yet, but a Review on tubeampdoctor.com compared them to each other

Next up are the EAT KT88.
Then maybe the KR KT88 and after that the TAD KT88-STR blackplates

As you said too many.
Also want to test Gold Lion 12au7 and Mullard 12au7

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #564 of 1,943
hello my friend,

Thanks for sharing the impression. Very informative.
This year I am going to Focal line instead of my Sennheizer HD 6XX series.
Already have Elex drop version. Love the France Quality, design and how they are treating my ears.
Focal Clear Pro, Radiance and Utopia are coming soon (already have ordered - my birthday gift to myself).
Was hunting Utopia last 3 years for a good price. (got it for 2000 USD B-Stock, brand new, replaced new drivers from official dealer).
Radiance, I have bought it just because of view to my collection - the best ever looking headphone I have seen.
So excited to listen them on Cayin HA-6A.
Due to Covid-19 the shipment to NZ is very slow (2-3 months)
Also collecting some 12AU7 tubes to roll.
Will post my tube rolling findings here, but later.

Regards from NZ
Kim[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #567 of 1,943
Not yet, but a Review on tubeampdoctor.com compared them to each other

Next up are the EAT KT88.
Then maybe the KR KT88 and after that the TAD KT88-STR blackplates

As you said too many.
Also want to test Gold Lion 12au7 and Mullard 12au7
Hi, some quick final questions regarding the buying experience with Son-audio If I may? Did the communication with them go smoothly (I'm not comfortable communicating in French anymore), shipping experience and more importantly - warranty. Being a "European" issued amp - Cayin Germany should cover/handle warranty issues? Thanx and cheers Uli

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #568 of 1,943
Hi, some quick final questions regarding the buying experience with Son-audio If I may? Did the communication with them go smoothly (I'm not comfortable communicating in French anymore), shipping experience and more importantly - warranty. Being a "European" issued amp - Cayin Germany should cover/handle warranty issues? Thanx and cheers Uli
Hi Uli,

I think that you contacted me via Audio-markt.de last week.
I must warn you, the seller does speak nothing but french, our communication Was absolute minimum and with help of Google translate.
Most of the process can be done semi Automated via the website, shipment arrived via DHL express in less than 24h, which was impressive. However it took a while until it was sent on its way, and the communication up to the point was lacking

The seller Was unable to answer most questions though and therefore ignored them. SO BE CAUTIOUS IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG IT MIGHT BE A HUGE HASSLE TO GET IT SORTED.

Cayins warranty restrictions suck. They only provide warranty for the First buyer and only in the country of origin.
Son-video also only offers warranty in mainland france.

So buying it from france basically means you have a new device without warranty.

When buying a used device from germany you also wont have any warranty unless the original buyer registered his device in the first 14 days

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #569 of 1,943
Hi Uli,

I think that you contacted me via Audio-markt.de last week.
I must warn you, the seller does speak nothing but french, our communication Was absolute minimum and with help of Google translate.
Most of the process can be done semi Automated via the website, shipment arrived via DHL express in less than 24h, which was impressive. However it took a while until it was sent on its way, and the communication up to the point was lacking

The seller Was unable to answer most questions though and therefore ignored them. SO BE CAUTIOUS IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG IT MIGHT BE A HUGE HASSLE TO GET IT SORTED.

Cayins warranty restrictions suck. They only provide warranty for the First buyer and only in the country of origin.
Son-video also only offers warranty in mainland france.

So buying it from france basically means you have a new device without warranty.

When buying a used device from germany you also wont have any warranty unless the original buyer registered his device in the first 14 days
Thank you Thanato, c'est la merde! Not sure if that was me on audio-markt (what item?) - but that sounds like the whole process is a lot of fun ;-(
I just can't see how Cayin.de can decline a new Euro-amp from being covered. But I'll guess that is something that has to be experienced in the real world. I have owned two used Cayin speakers amps before and never had any issues. So knock on wood - I'll be watching my options just for a little while before making the call ...

Maybe the gentlemen from Cayin could address the warranty situation for European customers?

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #570 of 1,943
Thank you Thanato, c'est la merde! Not sure if that was me on audio-markt (what item?) - but that sounds like the whole process is a lot of fun ;-(
I just can't see how Cayin.de can decline a new Euro-amp from being covered. But I'll guess that is something that has to be experienced in the real world. I have owned two used Cayin speakers amps before and never had any issues. So knock on wood - I'll be watching my options just for a little while before making the call ...

Maybe the gentlemen from Cayin could address the warranty situation for European customers?

I was not involved in the dealer appointment and liaison, so I have no idea about the terms and condition regarding sales territories and warranty coverage, so I can't offer any suggestion or opinion on this subject. In fact, I always check out "Where to Buy" page from Cayin website for latest information of dealers in different location, that's how I keep myself update on this area, so that tells you how much I know about international dealership. My role is mainly related to the product itself.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back