Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 9, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #751 of 1,938
Yes, it is most definitely your unit. The hiss in the right channel was exactly as described! And indeed tube rolling solved that issue and made the amp pretty much silent - at least with the two high impedance headphones I'm driving single ended. And thanx for taking good care of the amp. looks and feels new. Now back to getting used to that sledgehammer ...
Enjoy, it is an amazing amp and I only gave it away because I had the opportunity to get my Octave V16 for cheap.

Wow, this is such a small world. :beerchug:

@rulerofrecords I hope you'll enjoy your HA-6A, the headphone amp is very versatile, you can now expand your headphone collection with the peace of mind that your headphone amplifier will handle whatever you picked satisfactory, it might not be the best synergy pair possible, but it won't fall short.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #752 of 1,938
Wow, this is such a small world. :beerchug:

@rulerofrecords I hope you'll enjoy your HA-6A, the headphone amp is very versatile, you can now expand your headphone collection with the peace of mind that your headphone amplifier will handle whatever you picked satisfactory, it might not be the best synergy pair possible, but it won't fall short.
Thanx Andykong, and I did notice you helping whenever and wherever you can while studying this thread. While I have your attention - you think this amp will drive an Hifiman HE6 properly - and secondly - do you have any experience with the EL37 as a EL34 replacement? cheers Uli

May 9, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #753 of 1,938
Thanx Andykong, and I did notice you helping whenever and wherever you can while studying this thread. While I have your attention - you think this amp will drive an Hifiman HE6 properly - and secondly - do you have any experience with the EL37 as a EL34 replacement? cheers Uli
Haven't try EL37 as EL34 replacement, but I have tried HE6 with HA-6A (KT88) in several time, it is powerful enough to handle the HE6 properly. The sound signature is subject to personal preference, I like it very much. It tame the harsh high frequency but didn't smooth it out completely, the bass is tight but the midrange is a slightly recessed.

May 18, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #755 of 1,938
Can I put Cayin HA-6A near my computer desktop and monitor? Can it be cause of hiss/hum or effect sound quality?
yes, no problem, I have mine right next to my 32' monitor on the desk, no problems, and doesn't affect noise or sound .
Just be sure to leave a bit of room for air, as it can get fairly hot

May 18, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #756 of 1,938
hey guys,

Just to let you know, I have a burson soloist 3X Performance coming to me the next days... together with a gustard X26 Pro Dac, so I will be able to do some comparisons with the HA-6A :wink:

I will have some stuff to write down in the next weeks, so stay tuned !
Also @Relaxasaurus I have seen your last video, and I would Have loved to come to your small meet up If I was in the NY region :wink:

May 18, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #757 of 1,938
hey guys,

Just to let you know, I have a burson soloist 3X Performance coming to me the next days... together with a gustard X26 Pro Dac, so I will be able to do some comparisons with the HA-6A :wink:

I will have some stuff to write down in the next weeks, so stay tuned !
Also @Relaxasaurus I have seen your last video, and I would Have loved to come to your small meet up If I was in the NY region :wink:
Would you share a link to the video (if it's not private or something like that)?. @FYFL commented to me about the meeting here, because I'm interested in renew my DAC an AMP and also looking for sinergy with different headphones. I took a look at this Cayin and maybe will be in my candidate listing... I will take a look at this thread :relaxed:

Edit: I think I found the video you were referring (his last 2 minutes video with all the amps of the meet). The funny thing is that I found the @Relaxasaurus youtube channel yesterday, Youtube suggested to me one video of different amps comparison, I liked it a lot and inmediately suscribed to his channel :relaxed:

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #758 of 1,938
Can I put Cayin HA-6A near my computer desktop and monitor? Can it be cause of hiss/hum or effect sound quality?

Desktop computer and monitor normally didn't have any problem unless you use your computer as USB Audio source to your DAC, in that case, the USB cable from PC to DAC might introduce extra noise or hum into your audio system. That's because the USB of your desktop computer shared the ground connection with keyboard, mouse, printer, ....etc etc.. You can refer to our previous discussion HERE regarding USB ground noise and vacuum tube amplifier.

Another source of noise is modem or WiFi connection, IF you desktop is connected to a router at a distance through RJ45 cable, that should be fine. If you have WiFi modem in the same room, that might be a problem too.

May 19, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #759 of 1,938
Okay, not so good news here. The amp went dead on me and went back to the dealer today who will then give it to his local tube service-guy (not Cayin-Service) - so this will take some time ...
However - maybe somebody can help here. What would be ideal/best fuses (type, designation) for the amp for potential future issue? I did change fuses but to no effect this time. Amp does start up, every tube is lighting up and the heating does work - but no signal is been output. A switch to my former amp with my desktop setup has confirmed - the Cayin is the problem. I heard from other people that this sounds 110% like "fuse blown" but it seems not to be the case here. There were some other issues (no, noise is not one of them) so I'm actually happy that the amp is being checked now. Unfortunately just one day after I had found the "perfect" tube-setup for me ;-(

May 19, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #760 of 1,938
Okay, not so good news here. The amp went dead on me and went back to the dealer today who will then give it to his local tube service-guy (not Cayin-Service) - so this will take some time ...
However - maybe somebody can help here. What would be ideal/best fuses (type, designation) for the amp for potential future issue? I did change fuses but to no effect this time. Amp does start up, every tube is lighting up and the heating does work - but no signal is been output. A switch to my former amp with my desktop setup has confirmed - the Cayin is the problem. I heard from other people that this sounds 110% like "fuse blown" but it seems not to be the case here. There were some other issues (no, noise is not one of them) so I'm actually happy that the amp is being checked now. Unfortunately just one day after I had found the "perfect" tube-setup for me ;-(
What was your tube setup in the end?

May 19, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #761 of 1,938

Did you change back to the factory default tubes?

May 19, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #762 of 1,938
Ouch too bad to hear this !

that sounds to me a lot like The HT fuse has blown up.

have you changed the fuse on the power supply board inside the amp ? ( not the one under the power cord )
for 220V it should be something like 250ma slo-blo, if I recall correctly ? maybe @Andykong can confirm
I think you should have a spare one in the box with the documents :wink:

let's hope it is only that !

did you try some tube rolling before the sound was gone ? which kind of tubes have you tried ?

May 19, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #763 of 1,938
From my understanding. If the tubes are glowing the fuse is ok. The problem is in signal path before the driver tubes or at amplifier tubes stage. May be simple contact disconnect in XLR to RCA switch button. Did you try XLR and RCA input? And also did you play with 6.3mm, 4.4 mm and XLR output button and connectors? Even without signal, did you hear the some extra noise On headphone when turn the volume up? If yes, so the amplifying stage is fine, means the signal is not coming to the preamplifier/ driving tubes stage. Assuming you was in right headphone output and input (my guess)? Did you try to connect and disconnect RCA input at working amp with headphone in? You should hear the loud pop noise when disconnect or connect. For me it looks like wrong or faulty connection issue. Regards, Kim

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #764 of 1,938
May 21, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #765 of 1,938
Did you change back to the factory default tubes?
I did try a couple of settings before sending it in. I did not try the stock 12Au7 as one of those had already gone kinda bad on the previous owner Thanatos (he told me beforehand)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back