Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #1,741 of 2,170
A little late to the party, and thanks to all the helpful tube advice in this thread.

amp-and-cans.jpg

Marconi Canada JAN 6V6G
1959 Amperex Bugle Boys
RCA 25AX4GT

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #1,742 of 2,170
Looking into potentially buying my first tube amp for my Hifiman Arya Stealth and Sennheiser HD 600S2. Anyone have experience with either of these headphones with the HA-3A?

My main concerns are (A) sufficient power for the Arya (eq 5db bass boost); and (B) noise/hum - this seems to be a common issue reported from online forums.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #1,743 of 2,170
Looking into potentially buying my first tube amp for my Hifiman Arya Stealth and Sennheiser HD 600S2. Anyone have experience with either of these headphones with the HA-3A?

My main concerns are (A) sufficient power for the Arya (eq 5db bass boost); and (B) noise/hum - this seems to be a common issue reported from online forums.

Any insights would be much appreciated.
1, Plenty of power for the Arya.
2, Noise is not specific to the HA-3A, tube amps in general are simply more sensitive to noise. If you read back this thread, noise usually comes from:
a, less than stellar old NOS tubes
b, inappropriate power (old wiring) or poor power conditioning
c, routers, phones, wi-fi in general.
For most of these issues there is a solution, but troubleshooting can take time.

All that said, most owners, the silent crowd are quietly enjoying their quiet HA-3A, including me. Many people do not even go back to SS amps once they had a proper taste of what (NOS) tubes can do in a decent tube amp like this 'little' Cayin.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #1,744 of 2,170
After struggles with Canada Post (drives me crazy when a delivery person doesn't want to take 30 seconds to ring the bell and instead I have to wait 3 additional days and then take time out of my schedule to go retrieve it myself...but I digress...) I finally got my reflector/sovtek 6V6 tubes and so far, I'm not having any of my previous noise issues and generally the noise floor has gone down as well. The general hum was only really noticeable on high-impedence and particularly when my GPU was running hard, but last night I tested it out playing some games and couldn't really hear anything. So hopefully I don't have to update this post in a couple days. I should also note I now also have the Ha-3a and my DAC running through a Furman AC-215A so that could very well also be contributing to the general noise floor.

Apart from just working properly, the Reflectors feel like they've given me a bump up in the spacial qualities of the amp for sure. Bass may also be more refined sounding, with more texture than my SS amp. The gap between my v226 and ha-3a has widened another step and on high-impedance my Auteur Classics have never sounded so good. I'm excited for my e80cc's to arrive in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #1,745 of 2,170
1, Plenty of power for the Arya.
2, Noise is not specific to the HA-3A, tube amps in general are simply more sensitive to noise. If you read back this thread, noise usually comes from:
a, less than stellar old NOS tubes
b, inappropriate power (old wiring) or poor power conditioning
c, routers, phones, wi-fi in general.
For most of these issues there is a solution, but troubleshooting can take time.

All that said, most owners, the silent crowd are quietly enjoying their quiet HA-3A, including me. Many people do not even go back to SS amps once they had a proper taste of what (NOS) tubes can do in a decent tube amp like this 'little' Cayin.
Thanks for your input. Your points about interference from other devices is definitely something I took note of.

You did touch on another point that I was going to raise - do you have any recommendations for tubes that are low in noise and are easy to find? Aside from the finicky nature of tubes, tube rolling was something that I was not too fond of and wanted to avoid such rabbit holes. I'll be happy to have a set that I like and stick with a few backups to spare.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #1,746 of 2,170
Thanks for your input. Your points about interference from other devices is definitely something I took note of.

You did touch on another point that I was going to raise - do you have any recommendations for tubes that are low in noise and are easy to find? Aside from the finicky nature of tubes, tube rolling was something that I was not too fond of and wanted to avoid such rabbit holes. I'll be happy to have a set that I like and stick with a few backups to spare.
Reflektor 6V6 and Sylvania 5814A are an endgame tube setup for me and the noise floor is non existent plus they are very cheap to buy.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #1,747 of 2,170

The thread is full of tube recommendations. :wink: Unfortunately any tube can be good or noisy, the best way to avoid noisy tubes is to buy from reputable sellers. It is definitely worth experimenting with NOS tubes, but have to be prepared for some issues here and there. IMO it is still worth the effort.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #1,748 of 2,170
After being little disappointed with my Hd600 and HA-3A now i'm flashed. Whoever said cable doesnt matter is wrong. At least in my case, in my room with my circumstances. First got some balanced HP cable with XLR. It was louder but also more harsh in the highs. Last step now was a Oelbach NF214 from my DAC to the Cayin. All I didn't liked has gone. Amazing bass, amazing highs, amazing details without sounding too harsh. This amp is a monster...even techno is baaam now. Also Mozart (I love him a lot)...in love!!

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,749 of 2,170
After being little disappointed with my Hd600 and HA-3A now i'm flashed. Whoever said cable doesnt matter is wrong. At least in my case, in my room with my circumstances. First got some balanced HP cable with XLR. It was louder but also more harsh in the highs. Last step now was a Oelbach NF214 from my DAC to the Cayin. All I didn't liked has gone. Amazing bass, amazing highs, amazing details without sounding too harsh. This amp is a monster...even techno is baaam now. Also Mozart (I love him a lot)...in love!!
I had similar experience with my HA-3A, changing DAC improved but not there yet…I get that you changed the RCA to Oelbach NF214, anything else? Power cable?

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,750 of 2,170
I had similar experience with my HA-3A, changing DAC improved but not there yet…I get that you changed the RCA to Oelbach NF214, anything else? Power cable?
Only HP balanced XLR cable and on DAC reduced output level to 800vrms. All made a small enhancement but 70cm RCA analog audio Oelbach had now the biggest impcact (before it was stock DAC cable)

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #1,752 of 2,170
Stock interconnects are suitable only for checking if your new audio gear is in working mode)
What dual XLR interconnection cables do you recommend?

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #1,755 of 2,170
Does this amp ever go on sale with some online retailers, or is the $1599 as low as it gets?
That is the retail price and I have never seen them discounted however, a few pop up on the used market for around $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back