Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 9, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #1,728 of 2,221
I would like to share my impressions from my first use of NOS tubes.

So far I have used 2x Sylvania 6v6 (black glass, 1950-60 years, about $100 for matched pair) and 2x Tungsram E80CC (1968, about $23 for matched pair)

1707478277704.png1707478377788.png

Well, I have to say I'm very impressed. I was skeptical before that NOS tubes would be overly warm, muddy, inaccurate, and other such things.

Before that I used modern tubes from Genalex and it must be said that I bought a new set at the end of August, and six months later I got severe crackling and noise in one of the channels. Experimentally, I found out that the problem was in one of the 6v6 tubes. I bought this from a highly recommended store, and perhaps I have no complaints about the seller, as any tube can fail literally at any time.

With these NOS tubes I found complete silence, I can't even hear the slight hiss of the amp. Also to my surprise the sound presentation has excellent detail, very accurate, firm but deep, textured, thunderous bass, the soundstage is very spacious, which is important to me, it is also rich sounding, the sounds here have a wonderful body, volume. All in all, I can't pick on anything at all. For me these tubes completely beat modern tubes from Genalex for example.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #1,729 of 2,221
I would like to share my impressions from my first use of NOS tubes.

So far I have used 2x Sylvania 6v6 (black glass, 1950-60 years, about $100 for matched pair) and 2x Tungsram E80CC (1968, about $23 for matched pair)

1707478277704.png1707478377788.png

Well, I have to say I'm very impressed. I was skeptical before that NOS tubes would be overly warm, muddy, inaccurate, and other such things.

Before that I used modern tubes from Genalex and it must be said that I bought a new set at the end of August, and six months later I got severe crackling and noise in one of the channels. Experimentally, I found out that the problem was in one of the 6v6 tubes. I bought this from a highly recommended store, and perhaps I have no complaints about the seller, as any tube can fail literally at any time.

With these NOS tubes I found complete silence, I can't even hear the slight hiss of the amp. Also to my surprise the sound presentation has excellent detail, very accurate, firm but deep, textured, thunderous bass, the soundstage is very spacious, which is important to me, it is also rich sounding, the sounds here have a wonderful body, volume. All in all, I can't pick on anything at all. For me these tubes completely beat modern tubes from Genalex for example.
Glad to hear such good results! I have (pretty sure) the same Tungsrams on the way, and I'm receiving a pair of matched Reflector/sov-tek 6v6gta coming today. I'm excited to hear them, although I'll be happy enough if they fix a noise issue I'm currently having which has worsened after I thought it had been resolved (crossing my fingers it's a power tube!)

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #1,730 of 2,221
Glad to hear such good results! I have (pretty sure) the same Tungsrams on the way, and I'm receiving a pair of matched Reflector/sov-tek 6v6gta coming today. I'm excited to hear them, although I'll be happy enough if they fix a noise issue I'm currently having which has worsened after I thought it had been resolved (crossing my fingers it's a power tube!)
Please share your impressions of Reflectors. I’m waiting for arrival of quad. All of pairs were sold out)
Then, quad means two spare tubes.
I’m searching for the most closely matched tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #1,731 of 2,221
Just as a quick follow-up - After 3-4 days of intermittent noise issues that would fix on restart, I decided to remove and re-seat all the stock tubes, which I had not touched since receiving the amp, and [so far] I have not encountered the noise issue after another 4 days of use. Nothing else changed that I know of in that timeframe.

*edit - must have just been a fluke, noise returned today a few times. bit frustrating. not expecting the power and driver tubes to show up till sometime next week at the earliest
https://upscaleaudio.com/pages/microphonics
It looks like resident evil)

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #1,732 of 2,221
Please share your impressions of Reflectors. I’m waiting for arrival of quad. All of pairs were sold out)
Then, quad means two spare tubes.
I’m searching for the most closely matched tubes.
6V6GT Reflektors? They are wide and spacious with fantastic bass and warmth.

A great pairing with the Sylvania 5814A.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #1,733 of 2,221
6V6GT Reflektors? They are wide and spacious with fantastic bass and warmth.

A great pairing with the Sylvania 5814A.
I have Reflectors too, but I haven't tried them yet. I'm afraid to change anything to make it worse :D

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,734 of 2,221
I have Reflectors too, but I haven't tried them yet. I'm afraid to change anything to make it worse :D
Just plug them in and let them warm up and see if you like them, if not revert back to your other tubes.

The Reflektor 6V6GT's are my favourite 6V6 tubes.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #1,735 of 2,221
The Reflektor 6V6GT's are my favourite 6V6 tubes.

If i found a pair, i will give them a try.
For now, my 6V6GTY Bendix are the best 6V6 Tubes i had in use!

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #1,736 of 2,221
Found my issue with all the noise coming from the amp. I have wifi powerlines installed throughout the house. Took em out made a hotspot with phone, all the noise gone... old house with bad electricity net and powerlines are not a good combo i guess. Will sell and buy new house ofcourse!

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #1,737 of 2,221
Found my issue with all the noise coming from the amp. I have wifi powerlines installed throughout the house. Took em out made a hotspot with phone, all the noise gone... old house with bad electricity net and powerlines are not a good combo i guess. Will sell and buy new house ofcourse!

I come here for the hi-fi, I stay for the practical solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back