Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Mar 7, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #901 of 2,534
I have just discovered that the base of this tube has cracked. It is still working, but I presume it is too risky to carry on using it, right?

PXL_20230307_195955438.jpg
I'm sure someone w/ more tube experience will chime in but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if its still working milk the time you can out of it. If aesthetics aren't too much of an issue then there might be a compound solution to fix it; such as jb weld or epoxy putty.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #902 of 2,534
Something weirdly good happened tonight in my listening session. When I first received my first set of vintage tubes to swap out the stock ones I noticed one of the 6V6 Reflektor tubes was making a crackling noise in very heavy bass sections so I was hearing it on the right channel and then the left channel when I swapped the tubes round. So I bought new 6V6 matched Reflektor tubes which is arriving tomorrow but during my listening tonight I came to the realisation that the crackling noise was gone. So I don't know if the tube needed to be burned in or what ever happened but I am very happy although I bought another set so maybe they will be even better in sonics so lets see.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #903 of 2,534
Something weirdly good happened tonight in my listening session. When I first received my first set of vintage tubes to swap out the stock ones I noticed one of the 6V6 Reflektor tubes was making a crackling noise in very heavy bass sections so I was hearing it on the right channel and then the left channel when I swapped the tubes round. So I bought new 6V6 matched Reflektor tubes which is arriving tomorrow but during my listening tonight I came to the realisation that the crackling noise was gone. So I don't know if the tube needed to be burned in or what ever happened but I am very happy although I bought another set so maybe they will be even better in sonics so lets see.
Or it could have been due to the full moon cycle. The Worm Moon cycle started this morning. I noticed I get better performance out of my tubes during the full moon cycle, not sure why.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #904 of 2,534
Or it could have been due to the full moon cycle. The Worm Moon cycle started this morning. I noticed I get better performance out of my tubes during the full moon cycle, not sure why.
31a68b7e-25b1-4fac-a941-5a4d79746ed3_text.gif

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #905 of 2,534
What do the numbers on tubes mean? I got a matched pair of 6V6 tubes and one says 55/4.4 and the other 51/4.2

I am a tube noob lol.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #906 of 2,534

I found a nice mid centric tube roll. Lovely voices with the Atrium and Aeolus!

Tungsol 12au7 black glass + Raytheon 6v6gt + Japanese black plates 22de4.

Sometimes not balancing out different tubes is a guilty pleasure 😀

A little update to my previous post, which was maybe a little overly sweet and mid focused.

Using the Tungsol 12au7 50s clear glass is less sweet and mid focused, resulting in a more balanced presentation.
Also the Japanese black plates 22de4 seems to add some sweetness to the mids because a GE 22de4 is less so.
Both changes seem to increase the overall resolution without being bright while remaining pleasantly sweet.

Overall these are one of my favourite combinations for the Atrium now.

PXL_20230308_194138326.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #907 of 2,534
A little update to my previous post, which was maybe a little overly sweet and mid focused.

Using the Tungsol 12au7 clear glass is less sweet and mid focused, resulting in a more balanced presentation.
Also the Japanese black plates 22de4 seems to add some sweetness to the mids because a GE 22de4 is less so.
Both changes seem to increase the overall resolution without being bright while remaining pleasantly sweet.

Overall this is one of my favourite combinations for the Atrium now.

PXL_20230308_194138326.MP.jpg
It’s a wonderful feeling to listen to music with the right tubes combo that perfectly matches with one’s taste and preference.

For me, I found my sweet spot with SE el34, Mullard cv491/ecc82 and Japanese black plates or RCA 22de4s on the ha-6a.

Enjoy !

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #909 of 2,534
Nice!

Does anyone has a source for these "Japanese black plates 22de4s"?

Edit: No longer relevant. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #910 of 2,534
I find that the 1/4 jack connector with my LCD 4 works the best, I tried it using the XLR connector but I preferred the 1/4 jack connector because the vocals sounded softer and sweeter which increased the clarity in the vocals for me.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #915 of 2,534
I used my Aryas with all Outputs and 4.4 sounded the best to me.

HA-3A has even to much power with the 4.4 Output.

The Arya stealth is everything but not power hungry…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back