Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 27, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #871 of 2,531
Isn't she a beauty? Finally able to listen after getting the 3A today.

First impressions are excellent. Build quality is immaculate and the volume dial and switches all feel great and there is a hell of a lot of power in this thing. I was worried it wouldn't drive the LCD 4 but I am not going beyond 11 o clock on the volume dial on the medium impedance. Stock tubes sound good and I will want to get different ones but usually I hate stock tubes so this is a plus. The energy from rock and metal music on this amp is simply amazing and going back to the A90D is a thin and almost lifeless experience in comparison. I am getting the Lyr + replaced in a few days so comparisons will be interesting because I love that amp with Sylvania tubes.

Attachments

• 20230227_185716.jpg
    20230227_185716.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230227_185752.jpg
    20230227_185752.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230227_185839.jpg
    20230227_185839.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #872 of 2,531
Isn't she a beauty? Finally able to listen after getting the 3A today.

First impressions are excellent. Build quality is immaculate and the volume dial and switches all feel great and there is a hell of a lot of power in this thing. I was worried it wouldn't drive the LCD 4 but I am not going beyond 11 o clock on the volume dial on the medium impedance. Stock tubes sound good and I will want to get different ones but usually I hate stock tubes so this is a plus. The energy from rock and metal music on this amp is simply amazing and going back to the A90D is a thin and almost lifeless experience in comparison. I am getting the Lyr + replaced in a few days so comparisons will be interesting because I love that amp with Sylvania tubes.
Just to be clear you're running the LCD 4 w/ XLR input, 4.4mm output, med impedance @ 11pm volume?

I'm just curious as I have the Caldera's on order and while Zach has said the 3A is plenty of power I do prefer to run the 4.4mm output vs the XLR as it tends to have a lower noise floor. If your LCD 4's are fine w/ those settings then I would imagine the 4.4mm output would probably suffice the Caldera as well.

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #873 of 2,531
Just to be clear you're running the LCD 4 w/ XLR input, 4.4mm output, med impedance @ 11pm volume?

I'm just curious as I have the Caldera's on order and while Zach has said the 3A is plenty of power I do prefer to run the 4.4mm output vs the XLR as it tends to have a lower noise floor. If your LCD 4's are fine w/ those settings then I would imagine the 4.4mm output would probably suffice the Caldera as well.
on XLR I am around 11 o clock and 4.4 is approaching 12 o clock so not much difference at all with the LCD 4. I was using the HD800S with the 4.4 connector in the pictures and I am also using the XLR connectors in the back going to the D90 so I am assuming that is also giving me more power than RCA.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #874 of 2,531
on XLR I am around 11 o clock and 4.4 is approaching 12 o clock so not much difference at all with the LCD 4. I was using the HD800S with the 4.4 connector in the pictures and I am also using the XLR connectors in the back going to the D90 so I am assuming that is also giving me more power than RCA.
Tyvm, I recently made the switch from RCA inputs to XLR and the jump in power was quite large. Most of my can's on the 4.4mm output would need about 11-11.5 volume on RCA in but w/ XLR in that dropped to 9-10pm. It was a welcomed change as this volume reduction lowered the noise floor to a near black experience. I also didn't notice any degradation in the source quality between RCA vs XLR inputs. So imo if you have the means I recommend going XLR inputs.

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #875 of 2,531
I have ordered the Telefunken ECF82 tubes & Reflektor 6V6GT tubes. I am assuming there is not much point in replacing the rectifier tube?

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #876 of 2,531
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #877 of 2,531

I picked up a Caldera at CanJam this past weekend and have no issues running it on the HA-3A 4.4mm output. I feed the HA-3A via XLR using my OOR as a preamp. I have the OOR at about 12 o'clock and the Cayin hits maybe 1030 before it's too loud for me.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #878 of 2,531
So I got some Telefunken ECF82 tubes today but I am only getting noisy hisses when no music is playing and then only the left channel is making sound and its very hazy and not clear. I put the stock tubes back in and it worked fine and then went back to put in the Telefunken tubes back in and I got the same result. Do you reckon the tubes are no good? also one of the tubes lights up maybe a second quicker than the other tube but they both light up the same after. They also get extremely hot after 2 minutes in the amp.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #879 of 2,531
So I got some Telefunken ECF82 tubes today but I am only getting noisy hisses when no music is playing and then only the left channel is making sound and its very hazy and not clear. I put the stock tubes back in and it worked fine and then went back to put in the Telefunken tubes back in and I got the same result. Do you reckon the tubes are no good? also one of the tubes lights up maybe a second quicker than the other tube but they both light up the same after.
Try cleaning the tube pins. The unfortunate truth is even if the seller claims the tubes are NOS they may have issues.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #880 of 2,531
Mar 2, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #881 of 2,531
Mar 2, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #882 of 2,531
Mar 2, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #883 of 2,531
Goddammit! As you can tell I am new to tubes!
Well, welcome. I've been here (in tubes) for a few years now -- LP back in 2019, and then a BHC last summer. Stuff you can look forward to:
- Buying the wrong equivalents -- check :beerchug:
- Buying recommended tubes, but finding out that the version you bought was nowhere near the 'holy grail' sound others lauded
- Buying recommended tubes, but finding out that they were counterfeit
- Buying the perfect tube, but having it turn out very microphonic in your system
- Buying the perfect tube, putting it in, turning on your amp, and having the amp die (admittedly quite a rare occurrence)

I know, this is the 'glass half-empty' view of things, but it's better to be prepared for the inevitable disappointments -- makes the triumphs that much sweeter. For example, I got a Chatham 5998 for my BHC and really liked it ... except it was noisy. Got a different one, and the amp sings ... triumphantly!

Anyway, GLTY and enjoy the trip!

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #884 of 2,531
Well, welcome. I've been here (in tubes) for a few years now -- LP back in 2019, and then a BHC last summer. Stuff you can look forward to:
- Buying the wrong equivalents -- check :beerchug:
- Buying recommended tubes, but finding out that the version you bought was nowhere near the 'holy grail' sound others lauded
- Buying recommended tubes, but finding out that they were counterfeit
- Buying the perfect tube, but having it turn out very microphonic in your system
- Buying the perfect tube, putting it in, turning on your amp, and having the amp die (admittedly quite a rare occurrence)

I know, this is the 'glass half-empty' view of things, but it's better to be prepared for the inevitable disappointments -- makes the triumphs that much sweeter. For example, I got a Chatham 5998 for my BHC and really liked it ... except it was noisy. Got a different one, and the amp sings ... triumphantly!

Anyway, GLTY and enjoy the trip!
I bought some Sylvania 12au7 tubes also so I hope these are ok to use with the amp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255993895507

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #885 of 2,531
I bought some Sylvania 12au7 tubes also so I hope these are ok to use with the amp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255993895507
Yes, those are correct equivalents. I really like them in my Liquid Platinum (w/ adapters) and as the input tube on my BHC, although it's modded w/ a pair of 6J5 sockets, and I've been playing with them quite a bit.

But the 5814a still gets a good amount of electron flow on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back