Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 22, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #826 of 2,530
Thanks I will order the unit this week but I just wanted to make sure it has the power. I have the Schiit Lyr + but I have had 2 units fail on me in the space of 2 weeks so I am done with that amp now. The Lyr + has an amazing sound on the tube mode but it just kept failing and not working so I want something that will sound even better and that will work without issues.
I have been using the SE RCA inputs on my 3A but I recently ran a comparison test of the BAL XLR inputs and noticed nearly a 10dB increase in volume. As far as quality goes; I still need to run more tests as it was very brief but this may be something you want to consider when doing your testing.

I didn't initially test this because the 3A doesn't support true balanced inputs as it has its own built in converter to convert the XLR input signal back to a SE input. I was told this can potentially lead to degrading the quality of the signal but as stated I need to run more tests to weigh the pro's and con's for my use case.

If I do end up switching to XLR inputs I'd be able to lower my volume usage (11pm to 9-10pm) quite a bit to a near black background which might also allow me to take advantage of the XLR outputs as my previous cfg was a bit to noisy w/ my environment which left me only able to use the SE & 4.4 outputs.

Additionally, Zach has said that he sometimes uses a XLR to RCA Balanced converter from Amps and Sound

https://ampsandsound.com/products/xlr-to-rca-converters

So this might also be something to consider as an addon later on down the road.

gluck

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #827 of 2,530
Feb 22, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #828 of 2,530
I do not think so. These tons of power are for high level loudspeaker out.
I do not know what power you have at the headphone output….

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #829 of 2,530
I have been using the SE RCA inputs on my 3A but I recently ran a comparison test of the BAL XLR inputs and noticed nearly a 10dB increase in volume. As far as quality goes; I still need to run more tests as it was very brief but this may be something you want to consider when doing your testing.

I didn't initially test this because the 3A doesn't support true balanced inputs as it has its own built in converter to convert the XLR input signal back to a SE input. I was told this can potentially lead to degrading the quality of the signal but as stated I need to run more tests to weigh the pro's and con's for my use case.

If I do end up switching to XLR inputs I'd be able to lower my volume usage (11pm to 9-10pm) quite a bit to a near black background which might also allow me to take advantage of the XLR outputs as my previous cfg was a bit to noisy w/ my environment which left me only able to use the SE & 4.4 outputs.

Additionally, Zach has said that he sometimes uses a XLR to RCA Balanced converter from Amps and Sound

https://ampsandsound.com/products/xlr-to-rca-converters

So this might also be something to consider as an addon later on down the road.

gluck
Regarding the inputs I thought it is relevant to copy this here from @Andykong earlier:

"The only difference between RCA and XLR input is whether they go through a pair of input transformers. Single-ended (RCA) input go straight to the driver tube (12AU7/ECC82) but the XLR input will do through a pair of input transformer before feeding to the driver tube. Theoretically using RCA input will skip the input transformer stage, purist audiophiles definitely will prefer this. However, we have used this design in both HA-6A and HA-300/HA-300MK2, and we had allowed users to compare the XLR and RCA inputs in multiple shows and exhibitions already. When we connect the XLR and RCA input of the amplifier to the same DAC with cables of similar quality, the difference is inaudible according to visitors even when ABA-compared repeatedly. For the record, the input transformers work at low-level signal only, so it is a very small transformer by design, We don't cut corners on this inexpensive component on the audio signal path."

And while we are talking about balanced circuitry, this is regarding the XLR output:

"We understand the preference towards balanced headphones in Personal Audio hobby. For transformer coupled design, it is fairly straight forward to support both single-ended and balanced driven in the same circuit because our amplifiers are transformer coupled. Since balanced headphone amplification is feeding opposing polarity signals to the left and right ear-cup of your headphone (in regardless of whether there is a dynamic driver or a planar inside). We can achieve this through a specific method to wind the transformer so that the positive polarity (aka "hot") and negative polarity (aka "cold") are driven in opposite directions, hence deliver a fully balanced output from a single-ended tube amplification circuit. In other word, both single-ended and balanced headphone output are "original" output from the transformers, we don't take the single-end output and then convert it into balanced through wiring."

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #830 of 2,530
Regarding the inputs I thought it is relevant to copy this here from @Andykong earlier:

"The only difference between RCA and XLR input is whether they go through a pair of input transformers. Single-ended (RCA) input go straight to the driver tube (12AU7/ECC82) but the XLR input will do through a pair of input transformer before feeding to the driver tube. Theoretically using RCA input will skip the input transformer stage, purist audiophiles definitely will prefer this. However, we have used this design in both HA-6A and HA-300/HA-300MK2, and we had allowed users to compare the XLR and RCA inputs in multiple shows and exhibitions already. When we connect the XLR and RCA input of the amplifier to the same DAC with cables of similar quality, the difference is inaudible according to visitors even when ABA-compared repeatedly. For the record, the input transformers work at low-level signal only, so it is a very small transformer by design, We don't cut corners on this inexpensive component on the audio signal path."

And while we are talking about balanced circuitry, this is regarding the XLR output:

"We understand the preference towards balanced headphones in Personal Audio hobby. For transformer coupled design, it is fairly straight forward to support both single-ended and balanced driven in the same circuit because our amplifiers are transformer coupled. Since balanced headphone amplification is feeding opposing polarity signals to the left and right ear-cup of your headphone (in regardless of whether there is a dynamic driver or a planar inside). We can achieve this through a specific method to wind the transformer so that the positive polarity (aka "hot") and negative polarity (aka "cold") are driven in opposite directions, hence deliver a fully balanced output from a single-ended tube amplification circuit. In other word, both single-ended and balanced headphone output are "original" output from the transformers, we don't take the single-end output and then convert it into balanced through wiring."
Tyvm, yes I remember reading this a while back and is what I was referring to. As far as audible difference, that I have not had a chance to test for myself whether there is or isn't one. The only thing I was able to confirm is that by using the BAL XLR input does provide a hotter signal which allows me to reduce the amp volume by quite a large margin.

I am hoping that the XLR input quality is on par w/ the SE input because as I mentioned this will allow me to run my volume at a lower lvl thus resulting in a lower noise floor. Tbh I have been able to improve the noise in my environment by quite a bit and its generally only noticeable on my closed back can's like my Z1R's and ZMF VC's.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #831 of 2,530
Thanks I will order the unit this week but I just wanted to make sure it has the power. I have the Schiit Lyr + but I have had 2 units fail on me in the space of 2 weeks so I am done with that amp now. The Lyr + has an amazing sound on the tube mode but it just kept failing and not working so I want something that will sound even better and that will work without issues.

I too had the Lyr+ and I had it "brick" (become totally unresponsive via buttons or remote) on me via front plate/button misalignment. I got it to work by realigning it (how to do that can be read about that in the Lyr+ thread as this is a common problem), but I refused to pay that much for something with such a glaring design flaw (even cheap no name chi-fi amps can have better design/quality control!) and overall just really "seems ready to fail at any time" operation (all those clicks in operation!) so I sent it back for a refund.

I was totally underwhelmed by the quality of the Lyr+ sound: it sounded "fine" for its price in either SS or tube mode. The 3A kills it (with the same set up, same headphones/IEMs). The 3A rivals, and surpasses in some respects (and perhaps overall, but that's a matter of preference) my Ferrum Oor. And it's a very powerful amp; something I was not expecting looking at the specs.

I think you'll love it and I'm very glad I decided to invest in it: it costs a little over 2x as much as the Lyr+, but the sound quality is simply incomparable imo (I would say at least 5x as good, but really you can't quantify the difference when there's this much of a gulf imo). A whole other level. Well worth the price. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #832 of 2,530
I too had the Lyr+ and I had it "brick" (become totally unresponsive via buttons or remote) on me via front plate/button misalignment. I got it to work by realigning it (how to do that can be read about that in the Lyr+ thread as this is a common problem), but I refused to pay that much for something with such a glaring design flaw (even cheap no name chi-fi amps can have better design/quality control!) and overall just really "seems ready to fail at any time" operation (all those clicks in operation!) so I sent it back for a refund.

I was totally underwhelmed by the quality of the Lyr+ sound: it sounded "fine" for its price in either SS or tube mode. The 3A kills it (with the same set up, same headphones/IEMs). The 3A rivals, and surpasses in some respects (and perhaps overall, but that's a matter of preference) my Ferrum Oor. And it's a very powerful amp; something I was not expecting looking at the specs.

I think you'll love it and I'm very glad I decided to invest in it: it costs a little over 2x as much as the Lyr+, but the sound quality is simply incomparable imo (I would say at least 5x as good, but really you can't quantify the difference when there's this much of a gulf imo). A whole other level. Well worth the price. Enjoy!
Thanks for your input. I do have the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tube that was used in the Lyr + that gave me the best detail and soundstage I have ever heard in an amp but I only have an ifi ican and Topping A90D to refer to but I have to assume the 3A is a step above in detail even with the stock tubes that will hopefully shine on the LCD 4 & 800S.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #833 of 2,530
Thanks for your input. I do have the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tube that was used in the Lyr + that gave me the best detail and soundstage I have ever heard in an amp but I only have an ifi ican and Topping A90D to refer to but I have to assume the 3A is a step above in detail even with the stock tubes that will hopefully shine on the LCD 4 & 800S.

You're welcome for the opinion...that you didn't ask for lol. (But you never know who else might be reading! For instance, if I read such a comment comparing the Lyr+ to the 3A directly before I ordered the Lyr+, I might have been dissuaded in trying that "cheap" option instead and just went right to the 3A).

I ordered a Psvane 6SN7-UK black plates/gold pins for the Lyr+ (I didn't buy it with a stock tube) so that's what I used to run it. Again, it sounded fine...I actually liked the solid state mode better. If it had sounded even near how my Oor or the 3A do, I would have stopped with it, even risking it failing (again) at some not far off point. But it didn't. It just didn't "have it" (that magic, that effortlessness, that top gear does).

I think, I hope, that if you order the 3A you'll be surprised and maybe even wowed like I am (and I have a lot of experience with expensive/highly regarded amps in 2 channel setups which is what I mostly listen to music on, so I didn't think I could be wowed by headphone amps--the Oor and 3A have demolished that notion!). I have no experience with the iCan or A90D though, but I do have a lot of other "mid fi" headphone amps (some listed in my sig).

Good luck!

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #834 of 2,530
You're welcome for the opinion...that you didn't ask for lol. (But you never know who else might be reading! For instance, if I read such a comment comparing the Lyr+ to the 3A directly before I ordered the Lyr+, I might have been dissuaded in trying that "cheap" option instead and just went right to the 3A).

I ordered a Psvane 6SN7-UK black plates/gold pins for the Lyr+ (I didn't buy it with a stock tube) so that's what I used to run it. Again, it sounded fine...I actually liked the solid state mode better. If it had sounded even near how my Oor or the 3A do, I would have stopped with it, even risking it failing (again) at some not far off point. But it didn't. It just didn't "have it" (that magic, that effortlessness, that top gear does).

I think, I hope, that if you order the 3A you'll be surprised and maybe even wowed like I am (and I have a lot of experience with expensive/highly regarded amps in 2 channel setups which is what I mostly listen to music on, so I didn't think I could be wowed by headphone amps--the Oor and 3A have demolished that notion!). I have no experience with the iCan or A90D though, but I do have a lot of other "mid fi" headphone amps (some listed in my sig).

Good luck!
I am always looking for opinions! so thank you for that.

I will order the 3A tomorrow in black. Lastly I was wondering how long the amp took to burn in for you?

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #835 of 2,530

PXL_20230219_085835354 (2).jpg

PXL_20230210_002354496.jpg
Naturally liquid, yet energetic.

What GE rectifier is that? It looks like it has a nice glow to it and I'm all about that!

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #837 of 2,530
I am always looking for opinions! so thank you for that.

I will order the 3A tomorrow in black. Lastly I was wondering how long the amp took to burn in for you?

Ok!

Well, about 30 seconds lol. I've never experienced burn in with any gear. I either like it at the start or I don't. I get used to the sound, or get to know it as I listen with time, but the fundamental sound remains how I remember it at first.

I won't say anymore here as this is a contentious area (if you really want to know why I feel this way you could DM me, but I don't flatter myself I'd tell you much of interest or anything you don't already know). Just feel free to find or use your own method when trying out/testing new gear and don't put much weight in what others tell you (including me) that you should hear or not hear is my best advice. 🙂

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #838 of 2,530
NOS GE 22DE4 coin base made in USA. That's all I know. They do glow nicely. :)

Thanks! I couldn't find one with green lettering. Will look with the additional info.

If nothing else, I want some cheap-ish backup tubes if the stock ones fail. But the more glowey the better! :smile:

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #839 of 2,530
Really enjoying the Cayin HA-3A. So far, only the Kennerton Rognir Dynamic (impedance: 32Ω, sensitivity: 116dB) has noticable noise/hiss due to its low sensitivity on the Cayin HA-3A. While the Rognir Planar just sounds marvelous on it - wider than most open-backs! Maybe I need a iFi iEMatch for the RD... is there something similar for 4-pin XLR available?

Batman.Cayin.png

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #840 of 2,530
So far, only the Kennerton Rognir Dynamic (impedance: 32Ω, sensitivity: 116dB) has noticable noise/hiss due to its low sensitivity on the Cayin HA-3A. While the Rognir Planar just sounds marvelous on it - wider than most open-backs!
Also with planar Kennerton Heartland, HA-3A is absolutely quiet on the SE exit.
Silent and balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back