Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #721 of 2,533
Do you know of a good European based source for these? Are all 5814(A) are the same? Tube business is really confusing. :)

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #722 of 2,533
I would love to own a pair of RFT 6sn7 for my Euphoria amp. Sadly prices are crazy.

Those RFT 6v6 come in two different constructions but both sound tremendous! Absolute reference sound. Vintage is 1954.

Does the G73R sound like a Telefunken Ecc802s? I heard they sound quite dry and sterile ? I might be tempted.

I have Telefunken smooth and ribbed plates Ecc82. Ribbed plates is a little warmer than smooth plates. Still not neutral like a Mazda ecc82.

Strong recommendation. Pewder plates also come with GE label. Sometimes they are available dirty cheap in NOS condition.
The G73R is anything but dry, and sounds unlike all other Telefunken's. I know you are a serious tube guy just like myself, and if you can swing the cash the G73R is incredible. I can't even really put it into words how otherworldly this tube is, and it really can't be compared to any other 12AU7 variant sonically.

Good call on the GE labeled Pewter Plates as well, and those can often be found for around $30 - $40 a pair.

Funny, I have two versions of the RFT 6SN7 and they follow the same small construction differences as the 6V6. We are both really similar tube connoisseurs. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #723 of 2,533
The G73R is anything but dry, and sounds unlike all other Telefunken's. I know you are a serious tube guy just like myself, and if you can swing the cash the G73R is incredible. I can't even really put it into words how otherworldly this tube is, and it really can't be compared to any other 12AU7 variant sonically.
I must admit holygrail 12au7 tubes don't have an incredible benefit to the sound on the Cayin HA-3A to swing 1000€ for a pair.
A dirty cheap pair of GE grey plates sounds just as good as a Mullard long plates if I'm honest.
Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in the very back of my mind.

On my Euphoria a 6sn7w is definitely better than a 6sn7gtb. So prices might be more justified.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #724 of 2,533
Do you know of a good European based source for these? Are all 5814(A) are the same? Tube business is really confusing. :)
According to this page 5814 at tubeworldexpress that was a silly question. :wink:
So better not to stray away from the above recommendation. :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #725 of 2,533
Would you advice to get G73R for HA-3A? Found them bit cheaper than usual (around 430 eu for a matched pair) here in Germany and wondering now if I should get them and call it a day. What sound signature should I expect let’s say with 6v6 Fivre?

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #726 of 2,533
Any owner happens to know if you could potentially change the 3 feet to 4 feet on the HA-3A (e.g. threads are prepared on the bottom) since I am not a huge fan of the 3-legged approach on audio devices?

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #727 of 2,533
Any owner happens to know if you could potentially change the 3 feet to 4 feet on the HA-3A (e.g. threads are prepared on the bottom) since I am not a huge fan of the 3-legged approach on audio devices?
Take the bottom off, see what might or might not be in the way and drill and tap for new feet or use some stick on with good double sided tape.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #728 of 2,533
From a stability point of view it is unnecessary. Most of the amp's weight sits on the rear two feet, and the whole amp is pretty heavy; 12 kgs. It takes quite a bit of force to move it out of balance. If you prefer 4 feet from an aesthetic point of you, that is a different story.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #729 of 2,533
I struggle to find any information on what the differences between all the availible 12AU7A Mullards are.

Currently I could get

RCA Blackburn
RCA Dario Blackburn
Phillips Blackburn
Mazda Blackburn
Valvo Blackburn

to name a few. As a tube newb I feel bit lost ^^

Another question remains, what should one expect of Telefunken G73R with HA-3A, currently got a chance to get those "relativly" cheap in Germany, but not sure if its worth it, since it still at least twice as much + then any Mullard pair.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #730 of 2,533
RCA Blackburn
RCA Dario Blackburn
Phillips Blackburn
Mazda Blackburn
Valvo Blackburn
Why are all tubes called Blackburn ? That should be the factory of Mullard. Did you buy several relabled Mullard pairs ? They can come as Mazda, Tungsram or RTC but mostly have "made in Britain" print on them.

Philips Dario was Useally a brand used by Mazda in France, or Philips Holland.
RCA is an American manufacturer. They had a factory in Italy which made 12au7, that was taken over by Marconi later.

Valvo did relabel tubes but also made their own 12au7 which are a little rare. They could be made by literally every European manufacturer.

If you want you can send me an pm and I wil try to identify what tubes you really bought. For 12au7 there has been a lot of relabeling across the manufacturers. In Europe and America quite the same.

Yes you got me there. For the prices I can't resist.

Making a shootout for Cayin tubes is a little bit more difficult than for my Euphoria as due to the transformer coupled nature (I guess) of the Cayin you don't hear changes in resolution and staging. So tubes really only color the sound of the amp and it's harder to find real synergistic combination as the technical synergy is missing. That makes it even more subjective as describing sound already is.
I have quite a lot 12au7 and 6v6 already, so it will take a lot of time until I will find the best combinations for my taste.

12au7 seem to have more impact. 6v6 sound is more subtle than I am used to for power tubes on my Euphoria.

This overview is helpful.
I don't always have the same vintage. My 80s Mullard boxed plates sound amazing in the Cayin. So I wouldn't worry about the vintage here.
Construction is more important. I have 4 pairs of RCA 12au7 with different plate structure and they all sound different.

I posted an overview picture which is mostly correct.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #731 of 2,533
Thanks, PM incoming. I just c/p the stuff from the vendor. In his listing all of those are "blackburn".

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #732 of 2,533
I contacted Cayin directly to ask the question about various tubes and this is their response for anyone that's interested.
Dear Ian,

Thanks for your contact. 12AT7/ECC81/CV4024 are both cannot be used to replace 12AU7. Please kindly note.

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #733 of 2,533
Has anyone compared this to a WA6SE? Thinking of this amp or WA2 or WA6SE for Verite Open.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #734 of 2,533
Has anyone compared this to a WA6SE? Thinking of this amp or WA2 or WA6SE for Verite Open.
Even with the stock tubes this amp blows my mind much more than all of it's predecessors of which there are many, the depth of the sound, the harmonic distortion, the imaging, I listen to mostly prog rock and soul and reggae, I know Worlds apart but I consider my mind blown with every song, the stock tubes are great with a little roughness around the edges (nitpicking) but they are under 50 hours so room for improvement, sorry to deviate from your question but I have no experience with the woo audio stuff but pound for pound I would say you can't go wrong with this amp, as for drivability they handle anything from my Cleer next 16ohm through HD800, HD820 to the T1 with ease

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #735 of 2,533
Even with the stock tubes this amp blows my mind much more than all of it's predecessors of which there are many, the depth of the sound, the harmonic distortion, the imaging, I listen to mostly prog rock and soul and reggae, I know Worlds apart but I consider my mind blown with every song, the stock tubes are great with a little roughness around the edges (nitpicking) but they are under 50 hours so room for improvement, sorry to deviate from your question but I have no experience with the woo audio stuff but pound for pound I would say you can't go wrong with this amp, as for drivability they handle anything from my Cleer next 16ohm through HD800, HD820 to the T1 with ease
Thank you. I am looking at this and HA-6A as well for planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back