Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Feb 4, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #706 of 2,532
I really find the stock tubes to be a little rough around the edges with a bit too much distortion, can anyone recommend a good tube combination that would smooth out the sound a bit, overall I love the depth and clarity of the amp, I do realise that it's a tube amp and that the distortion is sort of the point
To me basically all the NOS tubes I tried so far sounded a bit smoother/more natural around the edges.
Has anyone noticed performance quirks, or sound degradation when using the balanced input and single ended output?

I'm looking at a new DAC and will use the balanced out for the 3A, and the single ended for my Valhalla so I don't have to swap cables all the time.
If you use both the XLR and RCA output on some DACs, the voltage can drop which impacts output performance (even if the interconnect cables are just plugged in to two amps). It is worth checking if this would be the case with your DAC of choice.

I use XLR input on the 3A and works perfectly with the SE out, but I personally prefer XLR out on my setup as it sounds a tad more spacious and clear to me. Others prefer SE out.

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #707 of 2,532
Has anyone noticed performance quirks, or sound degradation when using the balanced input and single ended output?

I'm looking at a new DAC and will use the balanced out for the 3A, and the single ended for my Valhalla so I don't have to swap cables all the time.
I'm using RCA/SE inputs and I use the 4.4m & 6.35m outputs, the XLR is a bit too noisy for my setup and tbh not necessary for any of the can's I currently own because most of what I own is fairly easy to drive. I've attached the HA-3A power chart so you can see what each output uses w/ the different impedance settings.

My suggestion is to do your own testing w/ outputs to see which gives you the best performance.

In regards to sound degradation I can give you an example. I currently run my Meze Empy & Elites on the 6.35 out because the 4.4m low, just isn't enough power. The sound is flat w/o any dynamics. Both the 6.35 & XLR output provides more power and while the noise isn't terrible on XLR, I prefer the 6.35 out because it provides plenty of power w/o any sound degradation or noise.

I use switch boxes balanced and se to negate having to unplug/plug can swapping. I've attached a pic of a switch box that I use but fyi this is not my image but is the same box. I'm just not in the position to photograph my setup atm but this should give you an idea.

Attachments

• Cayin.jpg
    Cayin.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SWITCH-BOX.png
    SWITCH-BOX.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #708 of 2,532
I struggle to find good comparison between HA-3A and HA-6A when it comes down to the sound. Best I could find is that the 6A is more noisy, has more power in attempts to drive stuff like Susvara and got more customisation options with tubes, but not much on the sound itself. Are there any comparison or has anyone any experience with both amps and want to share it? :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #709 of 2,532
I struggle to find good comparison between HA-3A and HA-6A when it comes down to the sound. Best I could find is that the 6A is more noisy, has more power in attempts to drive stuff like Susvara and got more customisation options with tubes, but not much on the sound itself. Are there any comparison or has anyone any experience with both amps and want to share it? :)
@joseG86 had the HA-6A before he bought the 3A. In this post he is touching on it, but perhaps he could elaborate more.
BTW I am also interested in how you find your IHA-6 compared to the HA-3A.

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #710 of 2,532
@joseG86 had the HA-6A before he bought the 3A. In this post he is touching on it, but perhaps he could elaborate more.
BTW I am also interested in how you find your IHA-6 compared to the HA-3A.
Yep, will make a small write down as soon as I get it and the Caldera

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #711 of 2,532
I'm using RCA/SE inputs and I use the 4.4m & 6.35m outputs, the XLR is a bit too noisy for my setup and tbh not necessary for any of the can's I currently own because most of what I own is fairly easy to drive. I've attached the HA-3A power chart so you can see what each output uses w/ the different impedance settings.

My suggestion is to do your own testing w/ outputs to see which gives you the best performance.

In regards to sound degradation I can give you an example. I currently run my Meze Empy & Elites on the 6.35 out because the 4.4m low, just isn't enough power. The sound is flat w/o any dynamics. Both the 6.35 & XLR output provides more power and while the noise isn't terrible on XLR, I prefer the 6.35 out because it provides plenty of power w/o any sound degradation or noise.

I use switch boxes balanced and se to negate having to unplug/plug can swapping. I've attached a pic of a switch box that I use but fyi this is not my image but is the same box. I'm just not in the position to photograph my setup atm but this should give you an idea.
I have a completely modular cable that has different ends connected to all of my headphones via mini 4 pin xlr, male on the base cable and female on the headphone side, same concept but a lot less messy I guess, unfortunately my cat chewed the end near the universal connector before I threw her out the window, she's fine I only live on the ninth floor, hence the heatshrink

Attachments

• DSC01757.jpg
    DSC01757.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #712 of 2,532
I have a completely modular cable that has different ends connected to all of my headphones via mini 4 pin xlr, male on the base cable and female on the headphone side, same concept but a lot less messy I guess, unfortunately my cat chewed the end near the universal connector before I threw her out the window, she's fine I only live on the ninth floor, hence the heatshrink
Can you share where you obtained your modular cables? I might be able to find a use case for something like that in the future. Thx

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #713 of 2,532
Hart Audio cables have such a system Website.

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #714 of 2,532
They have a higher gain than the 12AU7 but it isn't noticed much. And the sound is often much more alive sounding. I have all types of 12AU7s in NOS clear back to 1949 but almost always, the 12AT7s, IMO, sound better. But it is up to each person to decide that. The 12AU7 is warmer but not as transparent or as dynamic.
I take it you haven't heard or don't own the Telefunken G73R, as that 12AU7 smokes every 12AT7 and 12AT7 ever made. . .

. . .or how about a Tungsram ECC82 Welded Long Black Plate, or Funwerk Erfurt ECC82 (54' or older) Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter with single getter arm? I have literally been through almost all of them (12AU7 and 12AT7) and I never thought one was particularly "better" than the other, and the difference in gain, dynamics, and transparency was not enough to prefer one type over the other, as each type has tubes that will do that just as good as the other's. There are a ton of options within both types, and I wouldn't limit myself to just one of them, unless you go with the Telefunken G73R.

Anyone curious about rolling 12AU7 and 12AT7 should take a look at the Pendant thread, as there is tons of tube rolling info in that thread, as I and several other's documented our journeys going through pretty much all of them.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #715 of 2,532
I take it you haven't heard or don't own the Telefunken G73R, as that 12AU7 smokes every 12AT7 and 12AX7 ever made. . .

. . .or how about a Tungsram ECC82 Welded Long Black Plate, or Funwerk Erfurt ECC82 (54' or older) Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter with single getter arm? I have literally been through almost all of them (12AU7, 12AT7, and 12AX7) and I never thought one was particularly "better" than the other, and the difference in gain, dynamics, and transparency was not enough to prefer one type over the other, as each type has tubes that will do that just as good as the other's. There are a ton of options within all 3 types, and I wouldn't limit myself to just one of them, unless you go with the Telefunken G73R.

Anyone curious about rolling 12AU7 and 12AT7 should take a look at the Pendant thread, as there is tons of tube rolling info in that thread, as I and several other's documented our journeys going through pretty much all of them.
Sounds like it's a good idea to stay with 12au7 like the manufacturer recommends. Lots of great choices available. From neutral to warm, everything is available I can assure you guys.

FunWerk Erfurt made my day 🤣👍
Those RFT tubes are very good as ecc82 and 6v6! Love it.
PXL_20230126_140228067.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #717 of 2,532
I take it you haven't heard or don't own the Telefunken G73R, as that 12AU7 smokes every 12AT7 and 12AX7 ever made. . .

. . .or how about a Tungsram ECC82 Welded Long Black Plate, or Funwerk Erfurt ECC82 (54' or older) Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter with single getter arm? I have literally been through almost all of them (12AU7, 12AT7, and 12AX7) and I never thought one was particularly "better" than the other, and the difference in gain, dynamics, and transparency was not enough to prefer one type over the other, as each type has tubes that will do that just as good as the other's. There are a ton of options within all 3 types, and I wouldn't limit myself to just one of them, unless you go with the Telefunken G73R.

They better do as they seem to cost a fortune. :wink:

What’s with you all tube guys? Always the super rare and super expensive tubes are THE best. I have never read “hey guys I have bought a pair of tubes for a kilo buck and sorry to say that they sound like crap”. :D

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #718 of 2,532
Sounds like it's a good idea to stay with 12au7. Like the manufacturer recommends. Lots of great choices available. From neutral to warm, everything is available I can assure you guys.

FunWerk Erfurt made my day 🤣👍
Those RFT tubes are very good as ecc82 and 6v6! Love it.
PXL_20230126_140228067.MP.jpg
Heck yeah! Nice tubes and the 6V6 looks a lot like their 6SN7 that I am currently loving.

20220907_042333.jpg

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #719 of 2,532
They better do as they seem to cost a fortune. :wink:

What’s with you all tube guys? Always the super rare and super expensive tubes are THE best. I have never read “hey guys I have bought a pair of tubes for a kilo buck and sorry to say that they sound like crap”. :D
I hear ya, and there is a reason why they are super rare and expensive. :wink: One could keep buying several decent tubes that last for around 6,000 hours each or one could buy a G73R and be done forever as they are built to last 40,000 hours and the sound is literally in a league of it's own and I don't think there is a single person who has thought otherwise that has heard one. The G73R is over engineered to perfection.

Again see this thread for more info - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...ral-discussions.939249/page-130#post-17381892

Also this guy (John Massaria) has some great things to say about them as well, and scroll down a bit to the tube section - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cypher-labs-prautes-headphone-amplifier.25706/reviews#review-27978

All that said, there are some really good affordable tubes, and I would take a look at the KenRad 5814 Pewter Plate if you want an affordable tube that is very well balanced, has killer bass, and really great holographic staging. Here is an affordable pair - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2660502197...rentrq:1ca20dd21860a7b0fa095553fffd3fd3|iid:1

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #720 of 2,532
Heck yeah! Nice tubes and the 6V6 looks a lot like their 6SN7 that I am currently loving.

I would love to own a pair of RFT 6sn7 for my Euphoria amp. Sadly prices are crazy.

Those RFT 6v6 come in two different constructions but both sound tremendous! Absolute reference sound. Vintage is 1954.

PXL_20230131_140602786.MP.jpg
PXL_20230131_140507482.MP.jpg

I hear ya, and there is a reason why they are super rare and expensive. :wink: One could keep buying several decent tubes that last for around 6,000 hours each or one could buy a G73R and be done forever as they are built to last 40,000 hours and the sound is literally in a league of it's own and I don't think there is a single person who has thought otherwise that has heard one. The G73R is over engineered to perfection.
Does the G73R sound like a Telefunken Ecc802s? I heard they sound quite dry and sterile ? I might be tempted.

I have Telefunken smooth and ribbed plates Ecc82. Ribbed plates is a little warmer than smooth plates. Still not neutral like a Mazda ecc82.

All that said, there are some really good affordable tubes, and I would take a look at the KenRad 5814 Pewter Plate if you want an affordable tube that is very well balanced, has killer bass, and really great holographic staging. Here is an affordable pair - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2660502197...rentrq:1ca20dd21860a7b0fa095553fffd3fd3|iid:1
Strong recommendation. Pewder plates also come with GE label. Sometimes they are available dirty cheap in NOS condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back