Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Dec 24, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #586 of 2,531
Dec 24, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #587 of 2,531
Dec 31, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #588 of 2,531
On the last day of 2022, we want to thank our friends and users for your long-term support and participation. Your contribution is the main reason that endorses HA-3A as one of the benchmarks for the Personal Audio community. Headfonia has named HA-3A as the Best Value Headphone Amplifier in 2022, and we believe HA-3A is also the most amazing amplifier to a lot of personal encaustic in this thread.

2022 is a difficult year, we are looking forward to 2023 and with your support, we'll bring more joy and fun to all cayin friends and users in the coming year. :beerchug:

HA-3A Headfonica Product of the Year 2022.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 31, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #589 of 2,531
Wrong thread.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #590 of 2,531
Happy 2023!

I'm finally all NOS in my amp. And RCA too - they are the easiest to find lol.

RCA 22DE4 (just NOS)
RCA 6V6GT (Gray Glass)
RCA 12au7 (5814a Black Plate)

Also, found tube dampers to help with microphonics from my keyboard that would be heard through the tubes.

Having trouble finding Mullards / Brimars. Hoping for a truly rich midrange, rather than just softer treble. The RCA black plates are smoother than my RCA clear tops and Valvo's, but not as much as I expected. Maybe needs more burn in. I was surprised how smooth the clear tops became after a while. Still very detailed, but not harsh anymore.

Attachments

• E09614EC-DD9C-42F6-A2C4-C9686BACBF23.jpeg
    E09614EC-DD9C-42F6-A2C4-C9686BACBF23.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 875DBEF7-F8FC-46B8-8063-4E28570DA1C8.jpeg
    875DBEF7-F8FC-46B8-8063-4E28570DA1C8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #591 of 2,531
Happy 2023!

I'm finally all NOS in my amp. And RCA too - they are the easiest to find lol.

RCA 22DE4 (just NOS)
RCA 6V6GT (Gray Glass)
RCA 12au7 (5814a Black Plate)

Also, found tube dampers to help with microphonics from my keyboard that would be heard through the tubes.

Having trouble finding Mullards / Brimars. Hoping for a truly rich midrange, rather than just softer treble. The RCA black plates are smoother than my RCA clear tops and Valvo's, but not as much as I expected. Maybe needs more burn in. I was surprised how smooth the clear tops became after a while. Still very detailed, but not harsh anymore.
Looks like a very warm combination. All sockets are filled with a warm tube 🔥

PXL_20230103_192139993.MP.jpg

To give the RCA black plate 5814 more chance to shine through, I use more neutral Mazda 6v6gt and a Sylvania 22de4 rectifier. Very nice euphonic combination for my ZMF Atrium.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #592 of 2,531
Looks like a very warm combination. All sockets are filled with a warm tube 🔥

PXL_20230103_192139993.MP.jpg
To give the RCA black plate 5814 more chance to shine through, I use more neutral Mazda 6v6gt and a Sylvania 22de4 rectifier. Very nice euphonic combination for my ZMF Atrium.
I really want to grab some ZMFs again. I'm holding out for an Atrium closed back or a cheaper Caldera-like model. They're too beautiful not to own.The Atrium was the closest to my preferences but also similar to the HE1Kv2. I preferred the HE1Kv2 in the end, but a closed back with a similar sound profile would be perfect!

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #593 of 2,531
I am really interested in buying this amp, but after reading the thread I have a couple of questions.

Some members mentioned that they do not like the XLR out and prefer the SE or 4.4mm out. This especially seem to be true if they are using XLR inputs as well. SE input or SE/4.4mm out seem to be more favourable, but apparently mostly with higher impedance dynamic driver headphones.
I am planning to use the amp mostly with my Meze Elite, which seems to be a favourable combination with the 3A. I use the XLR out of my Musician Pegasus R2R DAC (with SR Purple fuse) as I prefer balanced out of the DAC. R2R DACs also seem to be favourable with the Cayin, but I am wondering if this XLR 'harshness' (can't remember what exact term was used) that some members reported are limited to delta/sigma DACs or simply a too high DAC output level on the DAC's XLR out?
Perhaps some members who don't like XLR out on the 3A could elaborate why exactly they do not like it and also if they use XLR input as well?

Another question is regarding the noise some members reported. Is it mostly a hiss noise what you can hear on certain amps when you turn up the volume without playing music or is it referring to a less black background when music playing compared to some SS amps?

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #594 of 2,531
I am really interested in buying this amp, but after reading the thread I have a couple of questions.

Some members mentioned that they do not like the XLR out and prefer the SE or 4.4mm out. This especially seem to be true if they are using XLR inputs as well. SE input or SE/4.4mm out seem to be more favourable, but apparently mostly with higher impedance dynamic driver headphones.
I am planning to use the amp mostly with my Meze Elite, which seems to be a favourable combination with the 3A. I use the XLR out of my Musician Pegasus R2R DAC (with SR Purple fuse) as I prefer balanced out of the DAC. R2R DACs also seem to be favourable with the Cayin, but I am wondering if this XLR 'harshness' (can't remember what exact term was used) that some members reported are limited to delta/sigma DACs or simply a too high DAC output level on the DAC's XLR out?
Perhaps some members who don't like XLR out on the 3A could elaborate why exactly they do not like it and also if they use XLR input as well?

Another question is regarding the noise some members reported. Is it mostly a hiss noise what you can hear on certain amps when you turn up the volume without playing music or is it referring to a less black background when music playing compared to some SS amps?
I am using this amp with my meze elite chameleons through the xlr output and am really enjoying it. No noise or hiss either. Have been meaning to try out the 4.4mm output, as I have heard similar things that you have, but the xlr output has been so great I haven't had any desire to.

This is all being fed through a Matrix Audio X-sabre3 dac acting as a roon endpoint and connected to the cayin via balanced xlr.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #595 of 2,531

I'm using mine w/ SE & 4.4 mainly because the power lines in my house are not very clean even w/ power conditioners (ifi power stations). What I had to learn the hard way (as the 3A was my 1st Tube amp) is that your environment plays a factor on how well your performance will be w/ this amp and generally tube amps as a whole. It's very much possible you could get the 3A and have no issues at all and have a black bkg but the opposite is also a possibility. The only way to know is to try it.

While I do have noise issues as mentioned; using the SE & 4.4 have greatly reduced that issue which has allowed me to enjoy this great sounding amp but sadly I don't have a black bkg as others have been able to experience. Eventually I may invest in a Decware power conditioner to see if that will elevate the noise but atm I'm content.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #596 of 2,531
I am using this amp with my meze elite chameleons through the xlr output and am really enjoying it. No noise or hiss either. Have been meaning to try out the 4.4mm output, as I have heard similar things that you have, but the xlr output has been so great I haven't had any desire to.

This is all being fed through a Matrix Audio X-sabre3 dac acting as a roon endpoint and connected to the cayin via balanced xlr.
Thanks, your comment puts my mind at ease. When it comes to dislikes, there is usually a loud minority and a happy/content majority. If Zach from ZMF is happy with the XLR out from the 3A, I guess I should be too. Sure, there are many variables to take into account, all system chains and usage scenarios are different. But thanks to your comment I think I can eliminate that high level XLR input to the 3A would be an issue as your Matrix has 4.8 Vrms on its XLR out while my Pegasus 'only' has 3.55 Vrms. So, that shouldn't be an issue.
I'm using mine w/ SE & 4.4 mainly because the power lines in my house are not very clean even w/ power conditioners (ifi power stations). What I had to learn the hard way (as the 3A was my 1st Tube amp) is that your environment plays a factor on how well your performance will be w/ this amp and generally tube amps as a whole. It's very much possible you could get the 3A and have no issues at all and have a black bkg but the opposite is also a possibility. The only way to know is to try it.

While I do have noise issues as mentioned; using the SE & 4.4 have greatly reduced that issue which has allowed me to enjoy this great sounding amp but sadly I don't have a black bkg as others have been able to experience. Eventually I may invest in a Decware power conditioner to see if that will elevate the noise but atm I'm content.
It is true, that ultimately you have to try new equipment in your own home to see how it behaves and how you like it. I am aware of that, just trying to collect as much information as possible before I pull the trigger.
On another note, why are tube amps so much more sensitive than SS amps? The 3A would be my first proper tube amp too, I had several SS amps before and a couple of hybrids.

Edit: trigger pulled, the 3A should arrive early next week. Will see how it stacks up to my expectations. The GSX-Mini has been my favourite SS amp so far, beating the Soloist 3XP, iFi iCan and many others. Yet after tasting R2R with my DACs I am craving for something even more organic which I hope tubes will offer.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #597 of 2,531
It is true, that ultimately you have to try new equipment in your own home to see how it behaves and how you like it. I am aware of that, just trying to collect as much information as possible before I pull the trigger.
On another note, why are tube amps so much more sensitive than SS amps? The 3A would be my first proper tube amp too, I had several SS amps before and a couple of hybrids.
I totally understand the concept of "collect as much info as you can" I think that most of us have that mind set. I was merely trying to point out that while you can collect many hours, days, weeks, or even months of info as that was my approach (i spent nearly over a year researching tube amps) the end point is you really just have to try a tube amp in your environment to know for sure if its going to fit to your liking. There's no shame in doing research just keep in mind the time spent doing that research. Time is money to put it simply which is why I said you kinda just have to try it to know for sure.

Tbh, I don't have enough tech or experience w/ tube amps to provide accurate reasons why tube amps are more finicky vs ss amps. I have my suspicions but not enough facts to comment on. I've also refrained from giving sound interpretations of my Meze Elite w/ my 3A because imo I feel there are way to many variables to consider..

Anyways I hope you get what your looking for, gluck.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #598 of 2,531
I totally understand the concept of "collect as much info as you can" I think that most of us have that mind set. I was merely trying to point out that while you can collect many hours, days, weeks, or even months of info as that was my approach (i spent nearly over a year researching tube amps) the end point is you really just have to try a tube amp in your environment to know for sure if its going to fit to your liking. There's no shame in doing research just keep in mind the time spent doing that research. Time is money to put it simply which is why I said you kinda just have to try it to know for sure.

Anways I hope you get what your looking for, gluck.
Cheers mate, I have just edited my previous post which basically echoes your advice. I will report back for sure once my first proper tube amp arrives. :wink:

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #599 of 2,531
Cheers mate, I have just edited my previous post which basically echoes your advice. I will report back for sure once my first proper tube amp arrives. :wink:
You'll have plenty of fun 👍🏻 The Elites sound terrific on a tube amp!

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #600 of 2,531
Thanks, your comment puts my mind at ease. When it comes to dislikes, there is usually a loud minority and a happy/content majority. If Zach from ZMF is happy with the XLR out from the 3A, I guess I should be too. Sure, there are many variables to take into account, all system chains and usage scenarios are different. But thanks to your comment I think I can eliminate that high level XLR input to the 3A would be an issue as your Matrix has 4.8 Vrms on its XLR out while my Pegasus 'only' has 3.55 Vrms. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: trigger pulled, the 3A should arrive early next week. Will see how it stacks up to my expectations. The GSX-Mini has been my favourite SS amp so far, beating the Soloist 3XP, iFi iCan and many others. Yet after tasting R2R with my DACs I am craving for something even more organic which I hope tubes will offer.

If you encounter any hiss (noise on the background while no music playing), switch to 4.4mm would always help, as the power also the smallest here (compared to other headphone out). However, there is a chance you may get "hum" noise as well due to various factors (dirty electricity, RFI that 'attack" tube, etc)

For something with more organic feeling than GSX, but not overly mellow/slow, I think HA-3A may suit you well. With standard tube, personally it sound fine for Meze Elite, but a bit too much thickness for me. I do notice that you like R2R DAC more than TT2, so I assume you like fuller body tone than my preference, HA-3A should be a good match then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back