Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Dec 4, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #541 of 2,531
Update.

Intermittent "fluttering" continues off and on. Somtimes it disappears for hours and then the next time I turn it on it is there. Very frustrating and disappointing..

Here is what I have tried:
  1. Changing the power source (initially a toroidal power supply) and/or different outlets in the same room and also different outlets on different breakers.
  2. All the different headphone outputs (standard, balanced 4.4, balanced XLR) with 5 different headphones all with different and multiple cables.
  3. Rechecked all of the tubes (are they firmly installed, etc.). Wiped them all clean gently.
  4. Moving the amp away from other equipment (seems to work sometimes but only temporarily).
  5. Turning off all lights and electronics on the entire floor.
  6. Turning off all bluetooth and wifi on the floor.
  7. Praying to the god of electricity.
What else should I try ?

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #542 of 2,531
Update.

Intermittent "fluttering" continues off and on. Somtimes it disappears for hours and then the next time I turn it on it is there. Very frustrating and disappointing..

1. Changing the power source (initially a toroidal power supply) and/or different outlets in the same room and also different outlets on different breakers.
  2. All the different headphone outputs (standard, balanced 4.4, balanced XLR) with 5 different headphones all with different and multiple cables.
  3. Rechecked all of the tubes (are they firmly installed, etc.). Wiped them all clean gently.
  4. Moving the amp away from other equipment (seems to work sometimes but only temporarily).
What else should I try ?
Right or left channel or both?

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #544 of 2,531
Interesting question. How would I test for that? Would I unplug the headphone cable from the headphone on side at a time?

I unhooked the HA-3A and plugged in a Feliks Echo. No fluttering at all but it does not sound as musical as the HA-3A :frowning2:
Normally if one side or the other, you would notice if it is right or left. Try listening to just the right side and then the left.

Have you tried different tubes?

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #545 of 2,531
Normally if one side or the other, you would notice if it is right or left. Try listening to just the right side and then the left.

Have you tried different tubes?
It seems like it is coming from both sides. I haven't tried different tubes because I have only had the amp for a week. I think a new amp should not have this issue. I am starting to think tube amps may not be worth the trouble :) Uggh. I have spent at least 5 hours trying to figure this out. I have listened to music on it for less than that :frowning2: Thinking of returning.

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #546 of 2,531
It seems like it is coming from both sides. I haven't tried different tubes because I have only had the amp for a week. I think a new amp should not have this issue. I am starting to think tube amps may not be worth the trouble :) Uggh. I have spent at least 5 hours trying to figure this out. I have listened to music on it for less than that :frowning2: Thinking of returning.
Both sides. It could be the rectifier tube, which is very inexpensive. I have used tubes for many, many years. It is all a learning curve. I will take tubes over solid state unless nothing is available. I always have spare tubes since they are easy to change.

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #547 of 2,531
Both sides. It could be the rectifier tube, which is very inexpensive. I have used tubes for many, many years. It is all a learning curve. I will take tubes over solid state unless nothing is available. I always have spare tubes since they are easy to change.
I will pick one up and give it a shot before I return it. Thanks for the tip. I will let you know how it goes.

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #548 of 2,531
Update.

What else should I try ?
Hi @searchingtom,

Not sure if you have tried this also, but I had an ampsandsound amp awhile back that made noise if my cell phone was within 3-4 feet of it. It was not constant, but if the phone was "thinking" at all I could hear it. I do not remember if it was Wifi or cellular. Sounds like you turned wifi off but if your phone is near the amp maybe try airplane mode or shutting it down as well. Having not heard the fluttering you describe, I cannot be sure it is similar to what I experienced. Worth a try if you have not ruled it out yet.

I hope you figure it out, this is a really nice amplifier......

Happy listening.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #549 of 2,531
I will pick one up and give it a shot before I return it. Thanks for the tip. I will let you know how it goes.
Not sure how much of this thread you have read thru but I also experienced noise w/ my 3A to the point of actually returning it as I thought it was defective (mainly being a bit ignorant w/ tube amps as it was my 1st). I found after my many tests along w/ Zach's (ZMF) tests that my issue was dirty power from my wall outlets in my house.

I decided to keep the amp as I was able to reduce the noise considerably by using the 4.4mm BAL connection Low-High and the 6.35mm SE connection on Low to Med impedance; SE High gets to be to noisy for my environment and XLR is completely unusable w/ any of my Can's.

I felt that the 3A's auditory experience, flexible features, and footprint was such a great fit for me that I was willing to make the compromise and keep it.

I hope you are able to locate the issue w/ the noise problem so you can enjoy this amp as it is quite good. Some have said owing a Tube amp can be very much like a marriage.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #550 of 2,531
Update.

What else should I try ?
For me a stationary phone did cause noise like that. Sometimes it was there and sometimes completely gone. When going further from the amp it was gone. Me and the tube cage worked as an antenna for that noise.

Unplugged the base of that phone and the amp is silent.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #551 of 2,531
This is another tube interference myth that I can't think of any solution out of my head. If this is a "human antenna" situation, theoretically when you stand up, the antenna effect should be enhanced and you'll hear more interference.

Let's start the debugging process by checking out your system. Can you describe your audio system in more detail? From the source (a desktop PC?) to the HA3A amplifier including all the interconnect in between. In addition, it is very likely that your interference problem is caused by multiple events, so if you find something that reduced the scale or frequency of interference, you should keep that in place during subsequent tests.

1. You have tried multiple headphone cables, do you happen to have a 6.35mm headphone cable that has a copper-shielded layer covering the conductor?
  2. As per your photo, you have removed the protector cage, can you try to put the protective cage back on and check whether this will reduce the amount of interference noise? If this does help, maybe you can test with a stronger shield by wrapping aluminum foil around the protective cage to further test.
  3. On top of standing up, have you tried sitting on the chair but moving the chair away from the HA3A? Allowing more distance from the amplifier to your headphone
  4. Similarly, remain sitting on the chair but find someone to stand beside you, at the position where have indicated in your first photo.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #552 of 2,531
It is beautiful and sounds freaking great with default valves, can't imagine with better ones lol, thanks @Cayin
1670240432671.jpg

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #553 of 2,531
The stock tubes are not bad at all..
I am currently using the "stock" RCA 22DE4, in combination with the Fivre 6V6G and Tungsram E80CC.
If all vintage tubes were gone (or so expensive that I am not willing to pay crazy prices), I could easily live with the stock tubes.

P.S. Silver looks nice in your picture. :)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #554 of 2,531
Not sure how much of this thread you have read thru but I also experienced noise w/ my 3A to the point of actually returning it as I thought it was defective (mainly being a bit ignorant w/ tube amps as it was my 1st). I found after my many tests along w/ Zach's (ZMF) tests that my issue was dirty power from my wall outlets in my house.

I decided to keep the amp as I was able to reduce the noise considerably by using the 4.4mm BAL connection Low-High and the 6.35mm SE connection on Low to Med impedance; SE High gets to be to noisy for my environment and XLR is completely unusable w/ any of my Can's.

I felt that the 3A's auditory experience, flexible features, and footprint was such a great fit for me that I was willing to make the compromise and keep it.

I hope you are able to locate the issue w/ the noise problem so you can enjoy this amp as it is quite good. Some have said owing a Tube amp can be very much like a marriage.
The marriage reference had me laughing out loud. I would like to figure it out also. I will try some more. I agree that it is a nice amp.

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #555 of 2,531
For me a stationary phone did cause noise like that. Sometimes it was there and sometimes completely gone. When going further from the amp it was gone. Me and the tube cage worked as an antenna for that noise.

Unplugged the base of that phone and the amp is silent.
Interesting. There is no stationary phone around but there may be an old phone line or something. I am glad someone else experienced both my body and the tube cage interacting with the noise creation as I was starting to get some alien science fiction vibe from it ! I will do some more digging on what could be causing it. Thank you for your comments. I can take my tin hat off now :)

1670243887125.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back