Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Sep 11, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #151 of 2,174
Hello,
First burn in the Cayin amplifier with the tubes and repeat the test.
This will probably be due to the bass fluttering because nothing has been recorded yet.
All the electrolytes in the capacitors have not yet received a run through with the inner foil.
And the tubes always need a certain amount of time to open completely.

Give the amplifier at least 100 hours play-in time.
That makes a lot of difference and can sometimes be a real rollercoaster ride.

If it doesn't get better after that, I would change the tubes before you complain about it.
There are sometimes defective tubes, even if they are new.
Especially with today's transport, packages are handled very roughly.
Something can lead to a defect.

I will definitely burn it in/give it some play-in time and go from there. I really appreciate your response and help!

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #152 of 2,174
I'm currently on day three with this lovely amp. It seems to pair well with both my ZMF Atrium and Meze Empyrean.
Cayin_HA3A_Empy.jpg

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #153 of 2,174
@Andykong I just ordered the HA-3A from ZMF. This will be my first tube amp! I am wondering if there is any performance difference between the RCA and XLR inputs when connecting to my DAC given that the 3A is not a truly balanced amp. I am really excited to hear my Auteurs through this amp!

The RCA input will go straight to the driver tube (12AU7/ECC82). The XLR input will go through a pair of input transformers, which will convert the signal to single-ended and feed th

The only difference between RCA and XLR input is whether they go through a pair of input transformers. Single-ended (RCA) input go straight to the driver tube (12AU7/ECC82) but the XLR input will do through a pair of input transformer before feeding to the driver tube. Theoretically using RCA input will skip the input transformer stage, purist audiophiles definitely will prefer this. However, we have used this design in both HA-6A and HA-300/HA-300MK2, and we had allowed users to compare the XLR and RCA inputs in multiple shows and exhibitions already. When we connect the XLR and RCA input of the amplifier to the same DAC with cables of similar quality, the difference is inaudible according to visitors even when ABA-compared repeatedly. For the record, the input transformers work at low-level signal only, so it is a very small transformer by design, We don't cut corners on this inexpensive component on the audio signal path.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 12, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #155 of 2,174
only black?
They said a few pages back that silver will be available eventually ad they prioritized manufacturing the black version due to higher demand

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #158 of 2,174
this amp look good, but wish the vu meter had gold leds to get that steampunkish vibe
PXL_20220912_180411701.jpg

I like the contrast. Maybe the silver version has other led lighting.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #160 of 2,174
this amp look good, but wish the vu meter had gold leds to get that steampunkish vibe
I would have also preferred a warmer color led over the white; it makes more design sense if it matches the tube lights. But it’s not a deal breaker. I wonder if it’s gonna be an easy mod in the future :p

I am currently enjoying NOS Mullard 12au7 as improvement to stock but I would like to also upgrade my 6v6 to some NOS RCAs as they seem to be popular. What are you guys’ favorite 12au7 / 6v6?

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #161 of 2,174
This is quite the sweet spot for hp tube amps.. I'm wondering if any owners can compare this to other tube amps in a similar price range... Units like the Dragon Insprie, Auris HA2, Ultrasonic Oblivion, Feliks, Quicksilver, Schiit Folkvangr, etc...

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #162 of 2,174
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #163 of 2,174
This is quite the sweet spot for hp tube amps.. I'm wondering if any owners can compare this to other tube amps in a similar price range... Units like the Dragon Insprie, Auris HA2, Ultrasonic Oblivion, Feliks, Quicksilver, Schiit Folkvangr, etc...
You forgot Woo Audio...WA2 & WA22 (fully balanced I guess🤔)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #164 of 2,174
So far the Cayin did convince me as a good counterpart for my Feliks Euphoria AE. It's a different presentation on the same level of resolution. Staging and decay is not as extended as on the Euphoria.
Guitars come through really nice, that's perfect for my rock & metal music. Bass hits really hard. Synergy with my ZMF headphones especially with harder woods is tremendous.

I didn't turn on my Euphoria since the cayin did arrive even only using stock tubes.
Next week I will receive some really nice 12au7 tubes to start some tube rolling.
Will report back when I made some experiences.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #165 of 2,174
You forgot Woo Audio...WA2 & WA22 (fully balanced I guess🤔)
I'm sure there are 35+ models in that price range I forgot... DNA Sonnet, Auris Euterpe, Wolf makoyi, Decware zen would be a few others to compare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back