Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #3,646 of 6,478
I got them working finally once I had some free time. I don't know what was wrong the first time. The Mullards sound really nice. Very spacious. I'm letting them come back to life today. Who knows in what decade they were last used. Out of the gate they have similar spaciousness as my current go-to the Linlai Elite. I think the Linlai actually has more authoritative bass and extension surprisingly. I was expecting these to blow them out of the water on low end, but I'd still give it to the Elite upon first warm up. The Mullards have a bit of a gritty sharpness in the treble today that I feel like will burn off. Tonally I like them more than most of the 6SN7s I've heard besides the Linlai. Way more spacious than most.
Interesting, as the Mullards I have don't have a hint of gritty sharpness in the treble and they are actually kind of smooth to a fault from the start. As for the bass, that doesn't mirror my experience either? Perhaps yours do have some issues, or need some serious burn-in? Who knows as we all have different systems, but in my system the midbass can take your head off like no other. The Russian 6C8C has even stronger subbass, and better extension up top, but the mids are not as euphonic as the Mullards.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #3,647 of 6,478
Trying some new adapters today for a bit of a different look, and I think I kind of like the black caps and different colored wires...

20230611_044318.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #3,648 of 6,478
Trying some new adapters today for a bit of a different look, and I think I kind of like the black caps and different colored wires. . .

Damn! These GEC (Shaw) sound incredible and the transparency in the mids and treble is something special. I have been using a quad of Russian 6C8C for the past week, and it's a nice change-up going back to the GEC's. All these adapter tubes are stellar!

I am listening to some Alice In Chains MTV unplugged and I am at the show. Lane Staley just started talking and it startled me how lifelike it sounds. :astonished:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #3,649 of 6,478
Interesting, as the Mullards I have don't have a hint of gritty sharpness in the treble and they are actually kind of smooth to a fault from the start. As for the bass, that doesn't mirror my experience either? Perhaps yours do have some issues, or need some serious burn-in? Who knows as we all have different systems, but in my system the bass can take your head off like no other. The Russian 6C8C has even stronger bass, and better extension up top, but the mids are not as euphonic as the Mullards.
Yeah I figured it was a burn in thing. The bass on the Mullards is great. I definitely wasn’t finding it lacking. The Linlai just have excellent bass too. I’ll do some A/B once these Mullards have had time to wake up. I’m still trying to find a good pair of MELZ too.

Do you all feel like some days your amp just sounds better than others? I feel like it must be the power at my house. Some nights I’m listening and I’m just like - oh it’s a good night for electricity.

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #3,650 of 6,478
Damn! These GEC (Shaw) sound incredible and the transparency in the mids and treble is something special. I have been using a quad of Russian 6C8C for the past week, and it's a nice change-up going back to the GEC's. All these adapter tubes are stellar!
Oh man what are these GEC? You’re getting me hyped on all these adapted tubes now.

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #3,651 of 6,478
Oh man what are these GEC? You’re getting me hyped on all these adapted tubes now.
The GEC are more transparent and have better balance than the Mullards, and aren't quite as euphonic/warm. The GEC are all about the mids and treble, and have killer depth and decay, with a more open sound compared to the Mullards as well. I like them both, and it's nice to have options. Then there are the Russian (Svetlana Factory) 6C8C (6S8S) that have insane extension on both ends and a very open midrange, and a huge stage. The mids are a bit further back in the mix with the Russians and the bass and treble are the stars of the show with this tube. So, with the Mullards (middbass/mids), GEC (mids/treble) and Russian (bass/treble) I am set forever with 3 completely different and equally amazing presentations. If you can't tell, I am in love with this tube type. :grin:

As of right now, the seller we all bought our GEC from doesn't have any listed, but I actually have 5 quads of them and will most likely be selling a couple as I went a little crazy buying them and don't need them all. I plan to go through all my tubes in the next few days, and will keep you posted if you are interested. All the tubes I have are quiet and test NOS.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #3,652 of 6,478
The GEC are more transparent and have better balance than the Mullards, and aren't quite as euphonic/warm. The GEC are all about the mids and treble, and have killer depth and decay, with a more open sound compared to the Mullards as well. I like them both, and it's nice to have options. Then there are the Russian (Svetlana Factory) 6C8C (6S8S) that have insane extension on both ends and a very open midrange, and a huge stage. The mids are a bit further back in the mix with the Russians and the bass and treble are the stars of the show with this tube. So, with the Mullards (middbass/mids), GEC (mids/treble) and Russian (bass/treble) I am set forever with 3 completely different and equally amazing presentations. If you can't tell, I am in love with this tube type. :grin:

As of right now, the seller we all bought our GEC from doesn't have any listed, but I actually have 5 quads of them and will most likely be selling a couple as I went a little crazy buying them and don't need them all. I plan to go through all my tubes in the next few days, and will keep you posted if you are interested. All the tubes I have are quiet and test NOS.
I purchased GEC-CV6 tubes from the Audio Tube Shop in India.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204340889225?hash=item2f93aa8689:g:Nq4AAOSw~i9kZbsQ

He has many for sale.

Jeff.

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #3,653 of 6,478
I purchased GEC-CV6 tubes from the Audio Tube Shop in India.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204340889225?hash=item2f93aa8689:g:Nq4AAOSw~i9kZbsQ

He has many for sale.

Jeff.
That's where I got mine (CV6 & VR135) too, and looks like they have more listed and more on their site as well. They are absolutely fantastic tubes, and for the money can't be beat. Heck they are so good they can't be beat no matter how much money you spend on other tubes.

I recommend trying the Russian's as well. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/324796272118

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #3,654 of 6,478
That's where I got mine (CV6 & VR135) too, and looks like they have more listed and more on their site as well. They are absolutely fantastic tubes, and for the money can't be beat. Heck they are so good they can't be beat no matter how much money you spend on other tubes.

I recommend trying the Russian's as well. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/324796272118
Damn only 3 avail on the Russian ones haha. I'm really enjoying the Mullards atm. They feel more calm today. From your descriptions the Mullards are probably my vibe. I love mid-bass and warmth. I'm not a bass head in the type of music I enjoy, but I love big impactful bass. I love feeling the weight and space of the music.

Jun 11, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #3,655 of 6,478
You really need to reflow the solder on these tubes. Makes a big difference.

Jun 12, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #3,656 of 6,478
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #3,657 of 6,478
If anyone is looking to take their HA300MK2 to the next level of performance, this fuse increases dynamics (especially bass depth) and clarity, and helps expand stage depth while lowering the noise floor. . .

I have my Audio Magic M1 Masterpiece Fuse priced to sell in the classifieds. This is for the power supply in the U.S. version mk2.

20230612_042218.jpg

20230612_042242.jpg

I upgraded to the SR Master fuse, and that's why I am selling the M1.

I have it priced to sell, and hit me up if you have questions or are interested.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #3,658 of 6,478
Got a quad an NOS testing of GEC CV1135 for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. :grin:

I have quite a few pairs still and went a little overboard with buying them, so here is your chance to score this rare and amazing sounding tube for a great price.

20230612_050925.jpg

Hit me up if interested, just of note I am only looking to ship within the US.

Cheers and happy listening!

They have been testing for noise and are quiet.

20230603_053514.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #3,660 of 6,478
When you are reflowing the solder on tubes, do you remove the old solder and then use flux and new solder or add flux to the original solder and then add some new solder?
I remove as much as I can and then I use WBT 0800 silver solder. I do not say this lightly, but the difference is alarming, but if you think about it, much of the solder was done 70 or more years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back