Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Aug 11, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,026 of 6,257
In my opinion, if all they heard are the stock tungsol GTB, I can see it to a certain extent

This is me right now with the mk2, tube rolling really do make a difference, and I haven't even started changing the 300b yet (which I do note that the changes will not be as pronounced as 6sn7 rolling). Its also why I do value/enjoy reading other people's opinion on the different tubes, especially for the same amp, you might just find "the" combo for you.

Of course, the ideal situation is you like the stock setup as well, so you at least have something to fallback on / act as reference, before going into the deep end
What 6SN7 did you decide upon to upgrade to please?

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,027 of 6,257
What 6SN7 did you decide upon to upgrade to please?
I have currently used the following :

- Ken-rad VT231 Black Glass, Staggered plates (1940s)
- PSVANE CV-181 Tii (New production)
- Linlai E-6SN7 (New production)
- Sylvania 6SN7 Bottom D foil getter with Flat black plate
- Raytheon 6SN7GTB
- Stock tungsols

I currently am planning on looking for the "original" MELZ 1578, but as of now I find the ken-rad to be the best I got. Also as suggested by someone in the thread, I have read that supposedly the mullard cv181s is top tier, but for the price it commands, I think it might be better to consider 300b rolling earlier :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . Raytheon VT-231s are supposedly good as well, on my shortlist.

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #2,028 of 6,257

- Raytheon 6SN7GTB
- Stock tungsols

I currently am planning on looking for the "original" MELZ 1578, but as of now I find the ken-rad to be the best I got. Also as suggested by someone in the thread, I have read that supposedly the mullard cv181s is top tier, but for the price it commands, I think it might be better to consider 300b rolling earlier :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . Raytheon VT-231s are supposedly good as well, on my shortlist.
What are your thoughts on the PSVANEs? I have them on order at the moment.

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #2,029 of 6,257
What are your thoughts on the PSVANEs? I have them on order at the moment.

I used to run a quad of them on another amp, and I like them as they are. As far as new production goes you will find very few possible "upgrades" compared to it. I think you might be able to find decent alternatives for the price they command, but they have this aggressive v profile that I do enjoy. If you don't want the hassle of finding the right seller of NOS stuff, I think the PSVANE CV-181 tii is a good choice.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #2,030 of 6,257

- Raytheon 6SN7GTB
- Stock tungsols

20220713_111811.jpg

Are these Kenrads same like yours?

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #2,031 of 6,257
I used to run a quad of them on another amp, and I like them as they are. As far as new production goes you will find very few possible "upgrades" compared to it. I think you might be able to find decent alternatives for the price they command, but they have this aggressive v profile that I do enjoy. If you don't want the hassle of finding the right seller of NOS stuff, I think the PSVANE CV-181 tii is a good choice.
Thanks that sounds fair. Then you can have tried the Melz and so I will know what to chase on the NOS front.

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2,033 of 6,257
Just rolled in the Elrog ER300B, and burn-in has begun.

20220811_184602.jpg

I had a quick listen just to make sure there weren't any issues, and they are already a lot quieter than the stock Gold Lions.:grin:

More to come. . .

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #2,034 of 6,257
Just rolled in the Elrog ER300B, and burn-in has begun.

20220811_184602.jpg

I had a quick listen just to make sure there weren't any issues, and they are already a lot quieter than the stock Gold Lions.:grin:

More to come. . .
I’m very interested to get your thoughts. Does the cage still fit with the Elrogs in situ?

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #2,035 of 6,257
I’m very interested to get your thoughts. Does the cage still fit with the Elrogs in situ?
Great question! Knew the Elrogs are taller than the Western Electric 300b specs but forgot to ask before ordering if the cage will still fit. 🤔

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #2,036 of 6,257
Cage won't fit, but they sound so freaking insanely good I don't care. I don't use the cage anyway so not a big deal for me.

Folks, the Elrog ER300B are sounding incredible and are worth looking into. I only have a few hours on them, and they are miles above the stock Gold Lions already. I have never heard (or felt) bass so perfect and intense as I am now. If people think the HA300MK2 is a bit shy in the subbass, these tubes will change their mind in a heartbeat. :astonished:

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #2,037 of 6,257
Cage won't fit, but they sound so freaking insanely good I don't care. I don't use the cage anyway.

Folks, the Elrog ER300B are sounding incredible and are worth looking into. :astonished:
Can you give some description? Bass mids treble, mid centric, vshape, body / fullness, soft or harsh treble? I take it you use VCs?

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #2,038 of 6,257
Cage won't fit, but they sound so freaking insanely good I don't care. I don't use the cage anyway so not a big deal for me.

Folks, the Elrog ER300B are sounding incredible and are worth looking into. I only have a few hours on them, and they are miles above the stock Gold Lions already. I have never heard (or felt) bass so perfect and intense as I am now. If people think the HA300MK2 is a bit shy in the subbass, these tubes will change their mind in a heartbeat. :astonished:
In comparison to the Goldlions please? These are very pricey expendables..

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,040 of 6,257

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back