Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 8, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #1,411 of 6,389
I got my HD250s AK. I’m pretty sure they are 600 ohm but they don’t have the 300 ohm stamp on the cup. Lovely sound. Similar sound to HD540 but fuller bass and more intimate. I replaced the pads and foam disks with the new old stock HD430 pads I got with my HD540. Look much tidier now.

Yes, this is 600ohm version, only 300 ohm version have its impedance stamp on the cup, the 600 ohm version is plain.

The HD250 was my daily bedside headphone for a very long time. It is not a high resolution phone in my collection, but extremely natural sounding to me (yes, natural sounding is a personal experience).

So what will be your next move? Digging up more hidden gem from the forgotten treasure? or checkout out modern headphones that rated as musical > technicality?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 8, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #1,412 of 6,389
Andy will there be a price adjustment for the Mk2 ?

The suggested retail price of HA-300MK2 is US$4,399, we have updated the price information in the opening post. :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #1,413 of 6,389
It's funny - as far as I know the HA300 and HA-6A use the same stepped attenuator volume control, both with 24 steps. But having used both, I feel like I experienced less issues with finding an ideal volume match when using the HA-6A. I don't know exactly why that might be but I have two theories.

1) the HA-6A can switch from Triode to ultra-linear mode, and also gives options for running different tubes. So I am more likely to choose options that harmonize with my chosen headphones, and thus operating within the best volume range already.

2) I tried the HA300 first, and then the HA-6A. To some extent I probably got used to it, and found it less troublesome just based on pre pre-existing knowledge/experience. I did find that using a DAC with quality volume control can help fill the gap - adjusting by a few notches on the DAC side is usually imperceptible in terms of SQ degradation, and can often get things precisely where you want them.

The HA-6A is designed as a workhorse, it is very versatile offers options that are not available with HA-300, that probably explained your experience with both amplifier. Glad to have your among us all the time, from what I recall, you are the only English speaking reviewer that covers both HA-300 and HA-6A from Cayin.

Be reminded that the HA-300 was debut at CanJam New York 2018 (Feb) . The 24 steps balanced attenuator in HA-300 was a custom make components, we finalised the design and place our order on mid 2017, and that was based on our product fine tune at early 2017. There wasn't a lot of low impedance high sensitivity choice among high-end headphones at that time. When we custom make a full balanced stepped volume attenuator, we need to make a lot of consideration between number of steps and sound quality. We know more steps are always welcommed, but that will increse the complexity of the stepped attenuator, and the choice of components to compose the attenuator.

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #1,414 of 6,389
I have composed a more detailed comparison between the original HA-300 and the newly announced HA-300MK2.

I want to stress it again that the HA-300MK2 is an update to fit the HA-300 design into the current high-end headphone industry. As always, we try our best to deliver the best result whenever possible, but we didn't start off to design an upgrade for current HA-300 users. If you have acquired an HA-300 recently, please be assured that your HA-300 is still one of the best sounding headphone amplifiers in the market, and there is no need to rush into an upgrade decision with HA-300MK2. (Please don't show this to our Sales Manager, ...)

Cayin takes a very different approach to product development, we don't roll out new products very often, and we don't want our users to take it for grand that when we roll out a new product, you should upgrade your current product at the same time. I for one agreed with this philosophy, maybe that's why I am still using Office 2010 when I wrote this table. :smile:

HA-300MK2HA-300
Output TubeGold Lion Genelax PX300BFull Music 300B/n
Driver TubeTung-Sol 6SN7GTBShuguang WE6SN7
BAL Phone Output4.4mm, 4-pin XLR4-pin XLR
Output TransformerWide bandwidth EI transformer with reinforcing shieldingWide bandwidth EI Transformer
Power Supply TransformerWide bandwidth toroidal transformer with reinforcing shielding and lower rippleWide bandwidth toroidal transformer
Volume ControlJRC MUSES72320V volume controller with 41-steps ALPS balanced potentiometerCustom-built 24 Stepa balanced potentiometer
Coupling capacitorCustom AudioCapX MultiCapMundorf MCap SilverGold
Fuse for Output TubeUser-replaceable on amplifier chassisNon-user-replaceable on circuit board
Power ConnectorsLocking quick-release aviation-copper connectorsMilitary-grade screw-on connector
Umbilical cableLow internal resistance low loss silver plated TeflonBraided multi-strand heavy-duty copper cable

Last edited:

Apr 8, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #1,415 of 6,389
Maybe somebody should ask this. Admittedly, first world problems in a very difficult and sad world today - sorry. Those Gold Lion Genelax PX300B are made in Russia - correct? What are Cayin‘s perspectives on manufacturing the HA-300Mk2 in the longer term?

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #1,416 of 6,389
Maybe somebody should ask this. Admittedly, first world problems in a very difficult and sad world today - sorry. Those Gold Lion Genelax PX300B are made in Russia - correct? What are Cayin‘s perspectives on manufacturing the HA-300Mk2 in the longer term?
I know they had to change from the previous TJ Full Music 300b because that business closed. Cayin will need a modern valve with a steady supply and I am guessing that their decision was made to the Gold Lions quite some time before Russia invaded the Ukraine. I think I am right in saying the Gold Lion brand is owned by a US company but they are made in Russia as are many other modern valves other than the ones made in China.

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,417 of 6,389

Not sure if I understand the exact scope of "perspective". IF using Russia tube is a deal breaker, sorry, we can only hope you'll find a better option. :pray:

Cayin has changed our vaccum tube of our product from time to time, anyone who have read the HA-300 and HA-6A thread regularly will probably noticed these in several instances already. The HA-300MK2 completed its development process back in late 2021. Our supply chain has stocked up all the parts and components of HA-300MK2 since October 2021 but we were delayed for 6 months because we need to wait for the ALPS potentiometer. We intend to continue our production with our current component inventory. We might need to replace the Genelax PX300B with other 300B tubes when we used up our current stock because as of today, we can't buy Gold Lion vacuum tube from Russia due to export ban.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,419 of 6,389
So what will be your next move? Digging up more hidden gem from the forgotten treasure? or checkout out modern headphones that rated as musical > technicality?
I bought a 600 ohm HD540 Reference Gold to complete the set. Bought it at eBay auction from Germany for 401 Euros.

Condition is absolutely stunning and it came with the presentation box and mint instructions / serial number certificate. Was bundled with NOS unopened HD540 foam disks so I washed the pads in soap power, cleaned it up, and fitted the disks. I’ve attached a photo.

I’m not buying any more headphones. Time to enjoy the music and sell a few things! :)

Attachments

• E191F577-08ED-4857-B8DF-B0C7AC5D3D24.jpeg
    E191F577-08ED-4857-B8DF-B0C7AC5D3D24.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #1,420 of 6,389
I bought a 600 ohm HD540 Reference Gold to complete the set. Bought it at eBay auction from Germany for 401 Euros.

Condition is absolutely stunning and it came with the presentation box and mint instructions / serial number certificate. Was bundled with NOS unopened HD540 foam disks so I washed the pads in soap power, cleaned it up, and fitted the disks. I’ve attached a photo.

I’m not buying any more headphones. Time to enjoy the music and sell a few things! :)
Wow, you completed the HD540G/HD540/HD250 600ohm collection, that's crazy, the HD540 really is addicitve with HA-300. I never have HA-300 at my home, so I haven't try them together, you have proven my educated guess. :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #1,421 of 6,389
Not sure if I understand the exact scope of "perspective". IF using Russia tube is a deal breaker, sorry, we can only hope you'll find a better option. :pray:

Cayin has changed our vaccum tube of our product from time to time, anyone who have read the HA-300 and HA-6A thread regularly will probably noticed these in several instances already. The HA-300MK2 completed its development process back in late 2021. Our supply chain has stocked up all the parts and components of HA-300MK2 since October 2021 but we were delayed for 6 months because we need to wait for the ALPS potentiometer. We intend to continue our production with our current component inventory. We might need to replace the Genelax PX300B with other 300B tubes when we used up our current stock because as of today, we can't buy Gold Lion vacuum tube from Russia due to export ban.
Oh, I did ask ONLY along the reasoning of your second paragraph, not your first one. Thanks for your answer! The reason behind my question was to get a picture of my own longer-term perspectives together with a manufacturer‘s perspectives on parts supplies.

Or, more clearly: I just went back to vinyl - wonderful. After getting my turntable maintained, fixed and equipped with a new pick-up cartridge, I have just ordered a new phono stage. In fact, that investment pushes another desired investment in a headphone tube amp further out … That is what I was referring to as ”my longer-term perspectives“.

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,422 of 6,389
Will be trying the MK2 with my Susvara and IER-Z1R at my local dealer's, next week! I hope I love it enough to place a preorder.

I never owned a tube amp with its own external power supply before, will tube rolling the 22DE4 make a difference?

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,423 of 6,389
Will be trying the MK2 with my Susvara and IER-Z1R at my local dealer's, next week! I hope I love it enough to place a preorder.

I never owned a tube amp with its own external power supply before, will tube rolling the 22DE4 make a difference?
From what I have heard and read it doesn't look like there are many alternatives and these ones seem to be the best you can get.

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #1,424 of 6,389

Look forward to your comments with the Susvaras and Mk2 . I haven’t changed out tubes yet with my HA 300 , over the past few months I’ve gotten a good sense of how my HA 300 sounds with the factory supplied tubes and when I do swap I’ll start with the 6sn7s most likely I’ll hear any difference for the better or just flavour change , According to Andy swapping the driver tubes in the Mk1 that make the difference could be the same with the Mk2 .

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #1,425 of 6,389
Look forward to your comments with the Susvaras and Mk2 . I haven’t changed out tubes yet with my HA 300 , over the past few months I’ve gotten a good sense of how my HA 300 sounds with the factory supplied tubes and when I do swap I’ll start with the 6sn7s most likely I’ll hear any difference for the better or just flavour , According to Andy swapping the driver tubes in the Mk1 that make the difference could be the same with the Mk2 .

The 6SN7 is on the upstream of 300B, any changes introduced by rolling the 6SN7 will be "amplified" in subsequent amplification circuit, hence produce a bigger different on sound signature. (HERE), so I encourge our users to start tube rolling wit 6SN7, because that's the more effective approach.

I haven't heard the HA-300MK2, so I have no idea if swapping the driver tubes in the Mk1 that make the difference could be the same with the Mk2 . This is beyond my knowledge and expereince.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back