Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 14, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,441 of 6,482

I am very fortunate and appreciative to have been granted a demo session on the mk2 not just with my Susvara and IER Z1R, but also the ZMF Atrium and Focal Utopia by my local dealer.

Sources tested with was my Cayin N6ii E02 lineout and if I remember correctly, Matrix Audio's X-Sabre 3* via bluetooth.

Demo length was only about 80 minutes long, I don't think I can write a fully fair critique, so I'll just note down my demo experience, please take what I say casually.

I have never tried (and most likely would avoid for personal reasons) to drive my Susvara off a speaker amp, my demo experience will be based subjectively around the headphone amplifiers I have used before. Sorry for any possible disappointments when you demo it yourself, my AHB-2 brethren :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

My personal observations, songs used are of Rock, Jazz and Pop genres :

- Drives the Susvara loud enough (or rather to my personal enjoyment levels) at around 12'o clock, definitely still has some headroom available in my case. I think the MK2 stock tube setup maintains a good balance of bass and treble, I never felt anything was off. Very pleasant to listen to. Based on previous experience, I had the expectation that there is a possibility that the mk2 would have flabby bass, but I found that this was not the case in my opinion.

- Using the IER Z1R, whilst not the most sensitive IEM there is, it would still comparatively be somewhat sensitive compared to most headphones. I can still perceive a minute buzz (as in, I really had to focus HARD) when left silent, however, the buzz was not audible when music is playing, even at a low level (I believe it was turn up half past 7). Sound quality was reasonable to a certain extent, but I would definitely not get the mk2 if all I use are IEMs (you will never know who is reading this...)

- This is also my first impression of the Atrium! I loved the timbre and general tonality from this combo, but I felt there was a distinct lack of treble presence, I am unsure which part of the chain it is due to lack of testing and experimentation, it would be wrong to pinpoint the "issue" on my end. Solid combo that will please many with the excellent bass, but I don't think I would personally use these for extended listening sessions, this combo don't feel like daily driver material

- Unexpected surprise for me was definitely pairing the Utopia with the mk2. I had tried the Utopia eons ago, and I didn't like it along the HD800s, I felt that both sounded harsh to me. This was not the case when the utopia is paired with the mk2 today, it has a fantastic, fuller midrange, with no semblance of harshness perceived at all, just the right amount of warmness for me. I would go out on a limb and say if I preorder the mk2, I see myself ordering the utopia a few months after. Utopia owners, you owe it to yourself to demo the mk2 out if you can.

- A seemingly common critique of the mk1 was the potentiometer, I believe the mk2 does not have this issue, or I could just be lucky enough that the steps are to my liking. In the very least, I would say that the potentiometer is not an issue for me.

- In terms of presentation....well you can just see it for yourself, I like its looks in black more than the mk1's silver. VU meter looks pretty cool. Switches all felt solid to me. No immediate build complaints, but naturally I did not touch every nook and cranny. 29KG is a weight I'd probably want to remember, especially since my rack is rated to support up to 30kg in each tier. Might be a disaster waiting to happen for me.

Right now I am strongly debating for preordering the mk2, as the other HPAs that I have on my radar are Flux Acoustic's Volot (Unobtanium lately for obvious reasons), Holo Audio's Bliss (still no confirmed release date and details), and Ferrum's OOR + Hypsos. I have not tried WA's WA33, Feliks Audio's envy and other tube amplifiers of its ilk / tier, so I cannot comment whether the value proposition provided by the mk2 is actually comparable apart from stating the obvious that the mk2 is at a fraction of the cost, compared to its tube related competitors.

I will be demoing the Ferrum's OOR + Hypsos in a few days (yea I know its like apple vs oranges, but is it really all that different if all you want is to seek musical enjoyment) before making a final decision, but as of now, I believe the mk2 is a steep mountain to beat.

Based on the gears involved in your audition, I believe you had a good day at Zeppelin. :beerchug:

THIS is the setup at CanJam NYC 2018 when we launch the original HA-300. I have two HA-300 on display at that show. Empyrean occupied one set exclusively because it was a co-launch event. HA-300 + Susvara + Utopia was my choice of demo setup. Enjoythemusic.com reviewed this set up in their show report very favorably. So I am not surprised that your audition is surprisingly good :pray:

10074750.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 14, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,442 of 6,482
Can it drive 1266? This is probably one of the most frequently asked questions in the past 4 years. It is not a matter of power or handling capability, but what is the sound signature you are looking for with your AB1266. Among the sharing and discussions, my exchange with llamaluv probably will provide a good starting point to this question. If you want to push the envelope of your 1266TC, to maximize the slam and authority presentation, then a high-power Solid State such as Well Audio HeadTrip or Niimbus US5 will definitely work better than a 300B based headphone amplifier. On the other hand, if you want to smooth out the 1266TC and add a bit of refinement to your system, then HA-300MK2 is a very good candidate.

If you are concerned with warranty and repair service, I suggest you work with MusicTeck directly, especially when you are two-hour drive from NJ. MusicTeck has recruited a local repair service to take care of Cayin amplifiers, and we supported them with training, schematic, product documentation, and components.
Thanks

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,443 of 6,482
Can it drive 1266? This is probably one of the most frequently asked questions in the past 4 years. It is not a matter of power or handling capability, but what is the sound signature you are looking for with your AB1266. Among the sharing and discussions, my exchange with llamaluv probably will provide a good starting point to this question. If you want to push the envelope of your 1266TC, to maximize the slam and authority presentation, then a high-power Solid State such as Well Audio HeadTrip or Niimbus US5 will definitely work better than a 300B based headphone amplifier. On the other hand, if you want to smooth out the 1266TC and add a bit of refinement to your system, then HA-300MK2 is a very good candidate.

If you are concerned with warranty and repair service, I suggest you work with MusicTeck directly, especially when you are two-hour drive from NJ. MusicTeck has recruited a local repair service to take care of Cayin amplifiers, and we supported them with training, schematic, product documentation, and components.
Wow 6W per channels and OT will have problem with some headphones ? That much power can even drive speakers !!!

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,444 of 6,482
Really like the sleek black chassis. This is perhaps more tempting than the Envy due to the superior power supply and rectification.

I am only left wondering if double dipping in WE 300B and MELZ 1578 is unreasonable...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,445 of 6,482
@paradoxper
Hey now no copying me. I am trying to come to the conclusion to buy the Cayin HA-300MK2 over the Envy.

Probably got to get both to one up you.

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,446 of 6,482
@paradoxper
Hey now no copying me. I am trying to come to the conclusion to buy the Cayin HA-300MK2 over the Envy.

Probably got to get both to one up you.
What if I got both too? :grin:

It's likely I keep the Carbernet DHT which uses 300B as well as 6SN7 with the CFA3. The Primavera serves the Valkyria but I have been wondering what a 300B headamp would do.

I also can't get the damn Manley Neo out of my head. :sweat_smile:

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #1,447 of 6,482
I have tried the HA-300 MKII during CanJam Singapore 2022, it sounds fantastic with my HD800s.
Does it make sense to have another tube pre-amp (in my case, a schiit mjolnir 2 with 6922 tubes) as input to the HA-300 MKII?

Another newbie question: While there are speaker outputs on the HA-300 MKII, can it be used to power passive desktop/bookshelf speakers?

Comments to the above questions is greatly appreciated!

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #1,448 of 6,482
Based on the gears involved in your audition, I believe you had a good day at Zeppelin. :beerchug:

THIS is the setup at CanJam NYC 2018 when we launch the original HA-300. I have two HA-300 on display at that show. Empyrean occupied one set exclusively because it was a co-launch event. HA-300 + Susvara + Utopia was my choice of demo setup. Enjoythemusic.com reviewed this set up in their show report very favorably. So I am not surprised that your audition is surprisingly good :pray:

10074750.jpg

Spot on, it was indeed at zeppelin!

Utopia was definitely the unexpected star for me, considering I didn't like it on plenty of other solid states and tubes, I suspect many Utopia owners would be very pleased with either mk1 and mk2

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #1,449 of 6,482
I have tried the HA-300 MKII during CanJam Singapore 2022, it sounds fantastic with my HD800s.
Does it make sense to have another tube pre-amp (in my case, a schiit mjolnir 2 with 6922 tubes) as input to the HA-300 MKII?

Another newbie question: While there are speaker outputs on the HA-300 MKII, can it be used to power passive desktop/bookshelf speakers?

I guess I am uncertain why you want to input another amp into the HA300? Yes you could add small speakers but you'd need quite efficient ones although I guess you are sitting very close to them. I am told the LS3/5a works well as it has a very benevolent impedance curve. I use my mk1 with full size speakers which have 96db sensitivity and they fill a reasonably sized room with sound.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #1,450 of 6,482
Utopia was definitely the unexpected star for me, considering I didn't like it on plenty of other solid states and tubes, I suspect many Utopia owners would be very pleased with either mk1 and mk2
I swapped my Utopia plus cash for a Diana Phi a month ago.

The Utopia was smooth, musical, well-built, easy to listen to, comfortable to wear, beautifully tuned considering the limitations of dynamic drivers, and versatile across music genres.

It had decent bass, although it was a bit boomy compared to the textured bass of the HE6, it lacked clarity compared to Susvaras and the Diana Phi, detail compared to the HE1000SE, and sound stage compared to HD800S.

The Utopia is an excellent all-in-one headphone and really benefits from 300b tubing but it was the weakest TOTL headphone I’ve heard with the HA-300 around or above it’s price range.

The Utopia was the easiest to drive headphone I’ve used with the HA-300 but also the worst affected occasionally by a tiny bit of hiss and crackle at low volume levels. Maybe the MK2 has fixed the little bit of grunge the MK1 sometimes had with the Utopia.

AK, what did Chen do to the MK2 to deal with the hiss and crackle issue HA-300 MK1 users sometimes report? I don’t usually hear it with hard-to-drive headphones but it comes and goes with easy to drive headphones like Utopias and Fostex TH900 MK2.

Could it have been fixed on my MK1 by switching out the coupling capacitors or is that just a coincidence in terms of it coming and going? Is it due to power purity or interference? I stack my power conditioner, source, DAC, and amp so wondered if that could be causing it.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #1,451 of 6,482
The Utopia was the easiest to drive headphone I’ve used with the HA-300 but also the worst affected occasionally by a tiny bit of hiss and crackle at low volume levels. Maybe the MK2 has fixed the little bit of grunge the MK1 sometimes had with the Utopia.

I was demoing with 4.4mm output of the mk2, didn't notice any hiss when left silent. But unlike the z1r, I was not focusing on it, I might have to try it again to find out. Nonetheless, seeing how it took good focus for me to notice it on the z1r, I think it might be the same with the utopia

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,452 of 6,482
I swapped my Utopia plus cash for a Diana Phi a month ago.

The Utopia was smooth, musical, well-built, easy to listen to, comfortable to wear, beautifully tuned considering the limitations of dynamic drivers, and versatile across music genres.

It had decent bass, although it was a bit boomy compared to the textured bass of the HE6, it lacked clarity compared to Susvaras and the Diana Phi, detail compared to the HE1000SE, and sound stage compared to HD800S.

The Utopia is an excellent all-in-one headphone and really benefits from 300b tubing but it was the weakest TOTL headphone I’ve heard with the HA-300 around or above it’s price range.

AK, what did Chen do to the MK2 to deal with the hiss and crackle issue HA-300 MK1 users sometimes report? I don’t usually hear it with hard-to-drive headphones but it comes and goes with easy to drive headphones like Utopias and Fostex TH900 MK2.

Could it have been fixed on my MK1 by switching out the coupling capacitors or is that just a coincidence in terms of it coming and going? Is it due to power purity or interference? I stack my power conditioner, source, DAC, and amp so wondered if that could be causing it.

Two related items in the "Design and Features" list of the opening post:
  • Custom make silica gel shock absorber as anti-shock buffer between critical tube components, chassis mainframe and tube socket, remove microphonic of 300B DHT effectively and provide quiet and realistic playback from sensitive headphones.
  • Minimize interference by reinforcing shielding of transformers, effective circuit layout and optimized circuit design

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #1,453 of 6,482
I guess I am uncertain why you want to input another amp into the HA300? Yes you could add small speakers but you'd need quite efficient ones although I guess you are sitting very close to them. I am told the LS3/5a works well as it has a very benevolent impedance curve. I use my mk1 with full size speakers which have 96db sensitivity and they fill a reasonably sized room with sound.
Thanks for the comment on speakers, I'm just looking for a speaker to listen in a small room.
As for why an amp into HA-300? I was just wondering if it is "possible" to explore a sound that is distorted twice before coming out of my headphones :dt880smile:

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #1,454 of 6,482
Thanks for the comment on speakers, I'm just looking for a speaker to listen in a small room.
As for why an amp into HA-300? I was just wondering if it is "possible" to explore a sound that is distorted twice before coming out of my headphones :dt880smile:
Yes to the speakers if you are going to be listening close to them. I still don't understand what you are trying to achieve with 2 amps...

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,455 of 6,482

Nope, it does not make sense to me to have another tube pre-amp. You are comparing a tube preamp output to DAC line out. The impedance is wrong, the gain is wrong, and the distortion is too high.

The speaker output of HA-300 delivers 8 watts per channel in Class A, since it is an output transformer coupled, the driving capability can be quite different from a 8wpc Class AB solid-state amplifier, Take a quick look at the reviews of single end 300B amplifiers from the speaker-based audio magazine and you'll find out they can offer a lot of fun in speaker domain:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cayin-300b-integrated-amplifier
https://www.stereophile.com/content/thöress-300b-monoblock-power-amplifier
https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/398/index.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back