Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 7, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,096 of 6,317
I was going to purchase HA-300 as my first tube amp in November. Extremely happy I waited, thank you for confirming the update @Andykong.

@Andykong do you think this will be available to purchase in December on possibly shipping Jan ‘22 or is that to optimistic for timing?

also any sneak peaks In Mk2 improvements? Do you think mk2 will be better pairing with PhI TC?

sorry to dig but I need something To keep from buying a burson soloist 3GT

1633593383791.png

We are still in our National Anniversary Golden week, will resume operation tomorrow.

I don't have a lot of information before the holiday break. Received a casual photo on the final prototype: new color with 4.4mm phone out. The design is 90% finalised, but I don't have a firm schedule, still waiting for green light. The bottleneck is supply chain and logistic, components prices goes up like hell, and delays become a habit, that's why we still can't finalise the price and date. My guess is, November is hopeful, December is very likely.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 7, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #1,097 of 6,317
If I had Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones, I’d get the Audiovalve Solista amp. Only downside is you can’t roll the tubes without invalidating your warranty.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/au...i-function-headphones-amplifier.24443/reviews

Audiovalve makes beautiful tube amplifiers, I used to spend a long time to admire their "white" tube headphone amplifiers in HiFi shows, they are one of its kind in the market. I hope they can resume when the pandemic quiet down.

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #1,098 of 6,317

We are still in our National Anniversary Golden week, will resume operation tomorrow.

I don't have a lot of information before the holiday break. Received a casual photo on the final prototype: new color with 4.4mm phone out. The design is 90% finalised, but I don't have a firm schedule, still waiting for green light. The bottleneck is supply chain and logistic, components prices goes up like hell, and delays become a habit, that's why we still can't finalise the price and date. My guess is, November is hopeful, December is very likely.
Finally in black.
Even a new Ha-6A.

Any mk2 changes on that one or just another color?

The color change on the Voltmeter is also great.
I know that haptics of the Cayin amps are great. (Feels amazing to press that power button)

Unfortunately I have no space at my listening Station anymore (or should I say luckily, from my wallets perspective?)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #1,099 of 6,317
1633593383791.png

Nice. but 4.4mm focused on IEMs?, which means its that quiet

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,100 of 6,317
4.4mm is more and more common for flagship overears.
Many full size amps offer these now.

The upside compared to 4 pin XLR is, thst it also fits for DAPs with the same cable.

From a technical/measurement point of view they are equal to 4 pin XLR (actually I read manufacturer reports both ways, some prefer XLR some the 4.4mm)

T+A for instance ships with 4.4mm and 6.3mm by defsult and the 4-pin XLR is the special request

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #1,101 of 6,317
Finally in black.
Even a new Ha-6A.

Any mk2 changes on that one or just another color?

Unfortunately I have no space at my listening Station anymore (or should I say luckily, from my wallets perspective?)

One of the biggest complain was the 24 steps volume control, we hear you, please stay tune for the official announcement.

The 4.4mm phone output is the most frequently requested feature in our desktop headphone amplifiers, and 4.4mm headphone cables are widely used in full size headphones already. If you buy a pair of Sennheiser HD820, you'll receive a 4.4mm headphone cables in the package. If you order your headphone from DCA, ZMF or Kennerton, you can request 4.4mm terminated headphone cables as part of your standard package. Other headphone companies such as Meze Audio offers 4.4mm balanced headphone cables as upgrade options. Last but not least, almost all aftermarket cables offers 4.4mm options.

Oct 8, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,103 of 6,317
Does the detail retrieval and bass slam of this amp. compare to a good solid state amp. or is that just not possible?
Unfortunately I can't speak for this amp in particular, since I never had the pleasure to audition it. Others please chime in.

However my own tube amp the Octave V16 most definitely rivals even the best solid state amps in detail and bass impact, as do certain other tube amps. It is definitely possible!

There are warmer tube amps for sure, but especially in the flagship Region they are often very neutral with amazing detail, while still offering the sought after tube sweetness.
Exact tube model used also has great impact on the degree of warmth and detail.

Oct 9, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #1,104 of 6,317
Could give me/us some advice, what's the best way to run the HA-300 if you're using it with a preamp and if all of the volume control will be done upstream via the preamp or if someone digitally reduces the volume in their system before the DAC?

Is it just simply turn the volume all the way up and then the pot is "bypassed"? I get that that's a simplistic way to say it and you've got to be careful about sending too high a signal into the amp that way, but let's just say that we're being careful and that whatever the amp is passing to the connected headphones/speakers isn't going to hurt them or our ears.
@Andykong

Sorry, you might have missed my question, Andy, but I was hoping you could share the "factory recommended setting" about this^

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #1,105 of 6,317
Thanks for the reply, Andy. I really appreciate how hands on you are here with everyone's different comments here.

If you could give me/us some advice, what's the best way to run the HA-300 if you're using it with a preamp and if all of the volume control will be done upstream via the preamp or if someone digitally reduces the volume in their system before the DAC?

Is it just simply turn the volume all the way up and then the pot is "bypassed"? I get that that's a simplistic way to say it and you've got to be careful about sending too high a signal into the amp that way, but let's just say that we're being careful and that whatever the amp is passing to the connected headphones/speakers isn't going to hurt them or our ears.
@Andykong

Sorry, you might have missed my question, Andy, but I was hoping you could share the "factory recommended setting" about this^

You can't bypass the volume or any circuit in HA-300 by turning the volume all the way up. There is no by-pass feature in HA-300. If you must include a pre-amp in a HA-300 based setup, you have no choice but to live with double amping. For this reason, there is NO factory recommended setting.

There is no setting or procedure that will always work fine, we just have to find out the best compromise by audition, experience and trial and error. Some of the pre-amp will only deliver maximum 4Vrms or 8Vrms from their line out, but I have also run into some preamp that deliver over 20Vrms. Take THIS preamp as example:
"The LA4's balanced output doesn't clip (ie, when the THD+N reaches 1%) until a very high 24V. Reducing the load to a punishing 600 ohms reduced the maximum output level to 15V (fig.4), which is still much higher than will be needed to drive a power amplifier into clipping"

In addition, the output of your HA-300 varied a lot when you change between L, M and H impedance setting. Take a look at the following table:

1633784497660.png

The rated output power of HA-300 are 7.59V at Low impedance, 18.17V at Mid impedance, 39.42V at High impedance. So when you switch from Low impedance to High impedance, the maximum output power of the amplifier will increased by over 500%.

Without knowing the specification of your preamp, line out level of your source, and impedance of your headphones, I simply can't offer any suggestion to make sure "whatever the amp is passing to the connected headphones/speakers isn't going to hurt them or our ears".

There is a safe method, but won't necessarily the good sounding method.
  1. Connect your DAC to HA-300 directly without preamp, test your headphones under different impedance setting, record the volume setting of each headphone, and select the LOWEST setting as the "safe volume setting" on HA-300
  2. Connect your DAC to preamp, and preamp output to HA-300, set HA-300 at "safe volume setting" and adjust the volume of the preamp to achieve the required output level.
This is safe, and it will work fine if your headphones are not vastly different in power requirement. Naturally if you have a headphone that sounds good at 8 o'clock volume position and then you have another headphone that sound good at 3 o'clock position, your more demanding headphone probably will sound very dull even when your pre-amp can offer enough output to compensate the low volume setting at HA-300. But you probably understand why it is impossible to recommend a "factory recommended setting" as requested.

Last edited:

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,106 of 6,317
Looks like they will be showing the MK2 in Shenzhen expo this weekend.

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,107 of 6,317
Looks like they will be showing the MK2 in Shenzhen expo this weekend.

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG
It is a beauty in black.
Curious what improvements it has over the mk1

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,108 of 6,317
yep hopefully Cayin will give a product release sheet at some point.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,109 of 6,317
It is a beauty in black.
Curious what improvements it has over the mk1
The only things I've been able to gleen so far are the 4.4mm balanced connection and likely a volume pot with many more steps, according to what Andy said over the past few pages.

For sure there will be more than that, but I can't really figure anything else out even with those nice, new pictures.

Looking forward to the event, though. I looked around online in China and couldn't find any threads yet about the MK2. That's definitely going to change after this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back