Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #781 of 6,317
Can I / Should I connect 4 ohm speakers to the HA-300? I've read in the forum the speaker outlets on the HA-300 are 8 ohm. Hopefully, by the end of this year, I will get my hands on some Tekton super-sensitive 96 db speakers. (Very, very, very, very long lead time to order many Tekton models.) They are really meant for my main system. which has a pair of solid state mono power amps. Hence the 4 ohm Tektons have been ordered .
It says 4-8 ohms in the manual, so it might depend how much of the frequency range the Tektons go below 4 ohms and what the minimum is. Maybe send a PM to Andy Kong for his feedback just to be certain?

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #782 of 6,317
Can I / Should I connect 4 ohm speakers to the HA-300? I've read in the forum the speaker outlets on the HA-300 are 8 ohm. Hopefully, by the end of this year, I will get my hands on some Tekton super-sensitive 96 db speakers. (Very, very, very, very long lead time to order many Tekton models.) They are really meant for my main system. which has a pair of solid state mono power amps. Hence the 4 ohm Tektons have been ordered .

I have the Tekton Lore Reference with my HA-300, and unlike my LCD-3 that I usually leave at 9-10 o'clock, I'd put the Lore Reference at 2-3 o'clock. It drives it nicely, but because of my bedroom arrangement, I'm not getting the best out of my room positioning, so I still listen predominantly on my LCD-3, which is absolutely sublime, especially after with combo of Chord HUGO TT2, Psvane ACME 300b tubes, Sylvania 6SN7W metal base, and most recently the usb cable I can't recommend enough, the Sablon 2020 USB cable!

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #785 of 6,317
My ha300 has no noise floor unless u max it out on the knob... At any settings.

Same, I can only hear noise on max volume knob and ONLY from XLR input, not RCA input

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #786 of 6,317
Oct 30, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #787 of 6,317
https://darko.audio/2020/10/moving-upfield-the-cayin-ha-6a/

"Cayin has a slightly louder noise floor"

Sounds like an understatement.
It's not though, depending on headphone and tubes it is nearly nonexistant.
In those cases where it is existant it still isn't problematic most of the time

Sure it would be better if the left tube Socket wasn't as sensitive to tube noise and if the noise weren't there, no matter the setup.
However especially for planars it's no issue, and shouldn't scare people off of an otherwise excellent amp.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #788 of 6,317
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 31, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #789 of 6,317

Yes, you can connect 4 ohm speakers to the speaker output of HA-300. 4 ohm 96dB is a safe loading to HA-300.

Price was cheaper from Singapore. Australia seems to have the Distributor-Dealer hierarchy, each adding their own margin to the price.

I understand your decision but I have to remind you that this is a risky move, your Singapore dealer was carrying out an unauthorized sales transaction, this might cost them their dealership, and you might lost your warranty.

Last edited:

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #790 of 6,317
https://darko.audio/2020/10/moving-upfield-the-cayin-ha-6a/

"Cayin has a slightly louder noise floor"

Sounds like an understatement.

May I provide the full sentence from others reference?

John Grandberg said "Compared to our Pro-Ject DS2 baseline, the Cayin has a slightly louder noise floor" in his HA-6A review.

For the record, Head Box DS2 is a solid state headphone amplifier, and is rated at 2 x 550 mW (in 33 Ohms, both channels driven) in their specification. HA-6A, on the other hands, delivers 2 x 1600mW in Low impedance setting (KT88, Ultralinear, Balanced phone out).

Last edited:

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #792 of 6,317
No problem, wished though that he had given a bit more of a sound comparison between the HA6A and HA300.
Yeah direct comparison would be nice.
Also did anyone compare the HA-300 to the woo wa5-le ?
Both use the same tube setup, so I'd be very interested in the sonical differences

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #793 of 6,317
Yeah direct comparison would be nice.
Also did anyone compare the HA-300 to the woo wa5-le ?
Both use the same tube setup, so I'd be very interested in the sonical differences

I have had compared the WA5-LE and with stock tubes, the HA-300 just have a sweeter, more musical sound and timbre. The WA5-LE may be slightly warmer and have a bit better mid-bass but that's all I remember that stood out. If you read about the WA5-LE, majority of people said upgrading the stock 300bs is a must. That being said, I love the Psvane ACME 300bs I have in my HA-300 now..

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #794 of 6,317
I have had compared the WA5-LE and with stock tubes, the HA-300 just have a sweeter, more musical sound and timbre. The WA5-LE may slightly warmer, and have a bit better mid-bass but that's all I remember that stood out. If you read about the WA5-LE, majority of people said upgrading the stock 300bs is a must. That being said, I love the Psvane ACME 300bs I have in my HA-300 now..
Thanks for the comparison

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #795 of 6,317
No problem, wished though that he had given a bit more of a sound comparison between the HA6A and HA300.

The review was part of a series of four "mainstream" high-end headphone amplifiers, so only limited reference to HA-300 make perfect sense, maybe @project86 will share "additional" impression at HA-6A thread later, or he'll drop by here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back