Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jun 6, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #271 of 6,288
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply.

I’m receiving my amp today. :)

During breakin, can I run the amp for several hours at a time, or is that not good for it?

Surely not a problem. We keep the HA-300 running all day at shows and exhibition. At Munich High-end last month, the longest day is 9 to 7, HA-300 operates for 10 hours non-stop.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 6, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #272 of 6,288
Surely not a problem. We keep the HA-300 running all day at shows and exhibition. At Munich High-end last month, the longest day is 9 to 7, HA-300 operates for 10 hours non-stop.

Thanks. I should have added that is it OK to leave it unattended sometimes while doing so? I was wondering about if a tube failed etc. I’ve never had to amp before and so I want to make sure.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #273 of 6,288
Has anyone compared the HA 300 to the Woo WA33...?

I need advice as going to make a purchase shortly and unable to decide which one to go for.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks....

Do you mean WA5? I came across a lot of customers asking for pro and cons with reference to WA5 because we are both 300B based, two boxes design and provides speaker output, especially those who didn't have the opportunity to audition HA-300 but have come across WA5 in various occasion. Comparing HA-300 against WA33 is relatively uncommon in my experience.

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #274 of 6,288
Do you mean WA5? I came across a lot of customers asking for pro and cons with reference to WA5 because we are both 300B based, two boxes design and provides speaker output, especially those who didn't have the opportunity to audition HA-300 but have come across WA5 in various occasion. Comparing HA-300 against WA33 is relatively uncommon in my experience.
Hello Andy,
I did mean the WA33, but by your answer the WA5 is in the same ball park.
So I guess the WA33 is a different beast entirely....briefly I would be interested to learn the difference ( I am a novice with tubes )

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #275 of 6,288
Hello Andy,
So I guess the WA33 is a different beast entirely....briefly I would be interested to learn the difference ( I am a novice with tubes )

It would be pretty rare to get anyone from a given company that’s going to give a comparison of their product to another regardless of what that product is to someone else’s in the same industry. It’s not even about if he or she feels their product is better, the same, are not as good. It’s just a good business practice not to get involved with that type of question.

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #276 of 6,288
It would be pretty rare to get anyone from a given company that’s going to give a comparison of their product to another regardless of what that product is to someone else’s in the same industry. It’s not even about if he or she feels their product is better, the same, are not as good. It’s just a good business practice not to get involved with that type of question.

Yes, I agree and understand ( it's a forum rule for members of the trade ) but Andy did ask me a question to clarify as it was an unusual question (I see why, now) , I responded so someone else maybe able to help.?

They are both good products I have no doubt.... but surely there is some difference. For example power or sound.?

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #277 of 6,288
Actually, I’ve had a few occasions where I spoke to the company that I bought a component from and asked them for a recommendation on something that was out of their lane, like for instance a cable recommendation, and they said their policy is not to do recommendations.

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #278 of 6,288
I need to hear the ampsandsound's Suolo Mono before i purchase the HA-300.

The 1626 is commonly referred to as the “Poor Man’s 300B” so i am intrigued.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #279 of 6,288
Hello Andy,

First of all, you are entitle to that question, and I don't mean A is better then B in whatever sense, I just want to make sure you did get the model right.

I doubt because :

(1) 300B is a legendary tube among audiophiles, it has a special magic on midrange (vocal and violin) and the harmonic is so rich that music tracks with acoustic instrument will draw you into the music instantly. That's why when someone wants a 300B amplifier, quite often they'll only focus on 300B options.
(2) WA33 is priced at US$8000 to US$15,000, quite a big budget different when compare to HA-300. The WA5, on the other hand, are much closer to each. Customers tends to compare product within a smaller budget range, that's why I describe your HA-300 vs WA33 question as "uncommon". Nothing wrong with that, just "uncommon".

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #280 of 6,288
I need to hear the ampsandsound's Suolo Mono before i purchase the HA-300.

The 1626 is commonly referred to as the “Poor Man’s 300B” so i am intrigued.

A very interesting analogy. When someone said, this mobile phone X is a poor man's iphone, normally we expect Phone X is cheaper than an iPhone, but in this case, Suolo Mono is more expensive then HA-300. :L3000:

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #281 of 6,288
A very interesting analogy. When someone said, this mobile phone X is a poor man's iphone, normally we expect Phone X is cheaper than an iPhone, but in this case, Suolo Mono is more expensive then HA-300. :L3000:

The 1626 is commonly referred to as the “Poor Man’s 300B” Quoted from the ampsandsound product page i should have made it clear before.

poor man's 300B cost $5,500 hence the " intrigued " part and also how it actually sounds.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #283 of 6,288
How many hours typically for break in?

I don't pay a lot of attention to this. I hear the different, but it is not night and day. I have a habit to run the amplifier for 2 days non-stop (around 50 hours) when I received it. Beyond that, changes are subtle.

Last edited:

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #284 of 6,288
I don't pay a lot of attention to this. I hear the different, but it is not night and day. I have a habit to run the DAP for 2 days non-stop (around 50 hours) when I received it. Beyond that, changes are subtle.

Would it be the tubes more than the amp itself that would benefit from burn in? :)

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #285 of 6,288
Would it be the tubes more than the amp itself that would benefit from burn in? :)

The Transformer and tubes would benefit from burn in., IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back