Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #2,551 of 6,478
I think that a note stating that the 300B tubes need to be pushed down to fully seat them is inadequate. When I received my Cayin HA300MK2 amp, I did push down on the 300B tubes with the intention of fully seating them, but it didn't work because I was not applying sufficient push-down pressure. I was flabbergasted at how much push-down pressure I really had to apply to fully seat them and I learned from my mistake. A neophyte 300B tube amplifier owner does not have any subjective experience of how much push-down pressure is needed to fully seat those 300B tubes and I think that he must have a better method of knowing that the 300B tubes are fully seated by confirming that the ends of the 4 pins are being firmly grasped by the tube socket's mini-clamps.

Jeff.
As a fellow neophyte 300B amp owner, 100% agree. On this amp you just cannot tell from looking at the 300B tubes whether or not they are fully seated. Whereas with the 6sn7s you can look from the sides and the front to determine how much more work you have left to do.

However, unlike the 6sn7s these will "pop" in and out making an audible sound and sensation when seating and unseating. So what works for me to ensure the 300Bs are seated is to first remove the tubes completely at the base pulling straight up. Then line up the pins per the manual pressing straight down until it "pops" or clicks in.

When I find myself pushing pretty hard but its not "popping" in then I'll stop, take it completely out again, re-line up the pins and try again. Usually on the second or third try it will more easily pop in at which time they're fully seated. Once I got used to how this works its actually easier for me than the 6sN7s, which are a major struggle to get fully seated, and often require first removing the 300B tubes to get my hands in a better position.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #2,552 of 6,478
I bit the bullet and took advantage of Zach’s November headphone and amp bundle (great reduced pricing if you can swing it), with my HA-300B set for FedEx delivery this Friday. Excited!

I do have a question: while I plan to live with the stock tubes for a bit knowing that’s just good sensible advice with a new tube amp, I am looking forward to tube rolling fun. The part that’s NOT fun is figuring out where, and from whom to purchase. Can anyone provide their preferred reputable online vendors? Interested initially in 300B and driver tube upgrades, just not sure where to confidently buy when I Google search a number of the tubes frequently mentioned in the thread.

At CanJam SoCal this past year, Justin from Ampsandsound shared the reality and high risk of buying tubes through EBay, so trying to stay away from that venue if possible, at least initially, even though I’m sure some here probably use/love that distribution channel.

Thanks in advance from anyone that can share as I look to dive into maximizing this investment as a relative “tube newb” in searching/purchasing good quality tubes, hopefully over the next few years at minimum.
Congrats!!! I did exactly the same thing buying mine at ZMF bundled with the Atriums.

For 300Bs highly recommend Parts Connexion (https://www.partsconnexion.com/). Also had good experiences buying tubes at Tube Depot, Viva Tubes and Grant Fidelity.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #2,553 of 6,478
As a fellow neophyte 300B amp owner, 100% agree. On this amp you just cannot tell from looking at the 300B tubes whether or not they are fully seated. Whereas with the 6sn7s you can look from the sides and the front to determine how much more work you have to left to do.

However, unlike the 6sn7s these will "pop" in and out making an audible sound and sensation when seating and unseating. So what works for me to ensure the 300Bs are seated is to first remove the tubes completely at the base pulling straight up. Then line up the pins per the manual pressing straight down until it "pops" or clicks in.

When I find myself pushing pretty hard but its not "popping" in then I'll stop, take it completely out again, re-line up the pins and try again. Usually on the second or third try it will more easily pop in at which time they're fully seated. Once I got used to how this works its actually easier for me than the 6sN7s, which are a major struggle to get fully seated, and often require first removing the 300B tubes to get my hands in a better position.
I don't find taking the tubes in and out difficult but then I have been using tubes for years.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #2,554 of 6,478
Nov 24, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #2,555 of 6,478
Nov 24, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #2,556 of 6,478
That review of the HA300mk2 is with the stock tubes, so take that with a grain of salt. The amp can change quite a bit with tube rolling, and doing a review of a tube amp without rolling tubes does not do the amp justice in my opinion and doesn't tell the whole story. The stock tubes (especially the 300B's) are bottom of the barrel sonically and are a good starting point, however rolling better tubes (Elrog ER300B's) takes the amp to another level.
A pair of Elrog ER300B cost about $2200-2500 ! ! Any other options is more comfortable on pricing ?

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #2,557 of 6,478
Those of you who use the Ha-300mk2 with the Susvara: do you use low, medium or high impedance, and why? Is it because one sounds better than the other, or because of a technical reason?
I used medium or low all the time never needs on high impedance.

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #2,558 of 6,478
Nov 24, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #2,559 of 6,478
Nov 24, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #2,560 of 6,478
Unfortunately it's out of stock !
They just got some back in stock a few weeks back but now sold out once again. Guessing they'll have some more relatively soon so you might want to send them a message asking for details.

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #2,561 of 6,478
You guys will drive up the Elrog price even further with your demand, slow down

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #2,562 of 6,478
Nov 24, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #2,563 of 6,478

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back