Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 6, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #181 of 6,257
Cayin is sorry for unable to attend the RMAF for various reasons, but we want to thank Final Audio for using our HA-300 tube headphone amplifier to demostrate their headphones at RMAF. If you want to check out the HA-300 and happens to be at, or planning to attend the CanJam RMAF, don't miss this opportunity to test HA-300 with Final Audio D8000 at the RMAF. Our next public demonstration of HA-300 at US will be CanJam New York 2019.

RMAF2018 01.jpg
RMAF2018 02.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #182 of 6,257
Anyone who owned this, can you elaborate on the humming noise people have said the unit have?

Can anything mitigate it or completely remove the noise with better tubes or better power cables or would it still be audible with that as well?

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #183 of 6,257
Anyone who owned this, can you elaborate on the humming noise people have said the unit have?

Can anything mitigate it or completely remove the noise with better tubes or better power cables or would it still be audible with that as well?

I use this amplifier with with Susvara and HD600. It's completely silent with Susvara but there's a slightly audible hum with the HD600 on low impedance setting. This hum gets louder as I increase the impedance setting though to be honest I never had to increase it above low setting. Changing to a cleaner set of tubes and using a power conditioner (I use the Audioquest Niagara 1000) does seem to reduce the hum to where its almost inaudible but it's still there. Hum is a lot more noticeable on low impedance headphones like Utopia which I used to own. Having said that, the sound out of this amp is just fantastic! Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #184 of 6,257
DSCF5471.jpg

HA-300 in the house. This thing is a monster! Currently running it with the Full Music 300B/n mesh plates but that will probably change in the future. Better make sure you have adequate support and space in your audio rack.... this thing is huge and very heavy.

So far it's phenomenal with HD650 - not quite perfectly silent but very very quiet for a tube amp. Some noise is definitely there when you first turn it on, but after warm up it settles down. I use a balanced power conditioner which probably helps keep noise in check, so I can't say for sure what others are hearing.

I personally prefer the low impedance setting so far, regardless of headphone. Medium and high just make the bass loose and increase general background noise, without any benefit that I can hear. Will keep playing with it though, perhaps certain headphones like a higher impedance (kind of doubt it...) Also the gain is pretty high, I sometimes turn down volume using my DAC so I have more room to work with. But I prefer lower volumes than the vast majority of my friends and fellow HeadFi users so again, your mileage may vary on this aspect.

Will report back with further findings as I get more time with it. So far I've mainly paired it with the iFi Pro iDSD, but also the ModWright Instruments Oppo 205 and the Cayin iDAC-6 as well. All three sound great in their own ways, and the HA-300 resolves differences very clearly - yet still imparts a beautiful tone of its own.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #187 of 6,257
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #188 of 6,257
Those arent the stock full music mesh’s... what 300b’s do you have on there?

These are probably going to be the new stock tubes included with the HA-300. It's still Full Music, listed as 300B/n with a different shape than the original domed version. Apparently Full Music is discontinuing or making a change to their line, so Cayin is trying to figure out their plan.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #189 of 6,257
Those arent the stock full music mesh’s... what 300b’s do you have on there?

The current Full Music 300B stock tube has cease production, we have to replace that with another 300B tube. I am still waiting for the new HA-300 stock photo but I was told the new stock tube is more expansive and is supposed to be a better tube in general.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #190 of 6,257

HA-300 in the house. This thing is a monster! Currently running it with the Full Music 300B/n mesh plates but that will probably change in the future. Better make sure you have adequate support and space in your audio rack.... this thing is huge and very heavy.

So far it's phenomenal with HD650 - not quite perfectly silent but very very quiet for a tube amp. Some noise is definitely there when you first turn it on, but after warm up it settles down. I use a balanced power conditioner which probably helps keep noise in check, so I can't say for sure what others are hearing.

I personally prefer the low impedance setting so far, regardless of headphone. Medium and high just make the bass loose and increase general background noise, without any benefit that I can hear. Will keep playing with it though, perhaps certain headphones like a higher impedance (kind of doubt it...) Also the gain is pretty high, I sometimes turn down volume using my DAC so I have more room to work with. But I prefer lower volumes than the vast majority of my friends and fellow HeadFi users so again, your mileage may vary on this aspect.

Will report back with further findings as I get more time with it. So far I've mainly paired it with the iFi Pro iDSD, but also the ModWright Instruments Oppo 205 and the Cayin iDAC-6 as well. All three sound great in their own ways, and the HA-300 resolves differences very clearly - yet still imparts a beautiful tone of its own.

Fantastic, have been looking forward to your impression since I told you our plan on this new amplifier, I hope you like what you hear so far.

By the way the amplifier is very close to the back wall. The Umbilical Power cable is very thick and firm, I can't imagine how difficult it was to setup the HA-300 so close to the back wall, I get you spend quite some time to get this right. :beerchug:

Last edited:

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #191 of 6,257
By the way the amplifier is very close to the back wall. The Umbilical Power cable is very thick and firm, I can't imagine how difficult it was to setup the HA-300 so close to the back wall, I get you spend quite some time to get this right. :beerchug:

Wow it does look very close in the picture... I hadn't noticed that. Must be a sort of trick of the camera. In real life there's a decent amount of room between the amp and the rear wall. Enough that I didn't have trouble with the umbilical (which I agree is quite thick), nor with the equally thick Audio Art AC cables I use.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #192 of 6,257
I received my ha-300 today. It is amazing, one of the best headphone amp I've tried. But mine does have some humming issues with hd800s and Utopia from the balanced output. However, I have no humming issue with TH900 from the single end output, which is a little wired...
I moved my router out of my room last night too...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #193 of 6,257
I received my ha-300 today. It is amazing, one of the best headphone amp I've tried. But mine does have some humming issues with hd800s and Utopia from the balanced output. However, I have no humming issue with TH900 from the single end output, which is a little wired...
I moved my router out of my room last night too...

My suspicion is this amp isn't a true balanced design my feeling is it works best at RCA/SE mode.....

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #194 of 6,257
My suspicion is this amp isn't a true balanced design my feeling is it works best at RCA/SE mode.....
That’s true, after few days burning I don’t have any humming issue with hd800 now. I tried RCA/SE mode and it sounds very expensive. I’m now searching for 300b tubes and start rolling!!! (The stock tubes are good tho)

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #195 of 6,257
I tried RCA/SE mode and it sounds very expensive.

Can you explain bit more on what you mean about expensive sounds? Or expansive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back