Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #3,031 of 6,213
IMG_20210418_140612.jpg

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #3,032 of 6,213
Great photos

How is the synergy of the C9 with the Kennerton ?

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #3,033 of 6,213
Great photos

How is the synergy of the C9 with the Kennerton ?
The favorite of the three combinations is the most full and three-dimensional. The first one I tried was adx5k. The sound was thin, and there was no problem with the bright and partial resolution mentioned in the evaluation. The sound was not so three-dimensional. The second one I tried was thorr. , I was attracted by the sound.

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #3,035 of 6,213
For anyone who is interested, the C9 leather case is pretty good. Seems to help with heat dissipation.

I am not doing any rigorous temperature measurement, but from my daily use of tube + class A, I can surely confirm that C9 with the case does NOT get hotter than using it without the case. If anything, I actually feel it to be cooler with the case... One key reason I have found is that the case creates a space between C9 and my table so it helps the heat dissipation from the back of C9 very much.

@nimorose maybe you can consider getting the case as well. :)
Honestly speaking, even with the heat sinks I have on mine now, class A tubes don’t get much cooled. I am skeptical that the case helps that much since it covers everywhere and barely some cut outs for ventilations without thermal tapes/paste. The case look beautiful though, and if you are using it with Class AB SS, it should be fine

I don’t think you can judge if by touching the case because of the leather, you will feel that it is not heating up as much, but in fact they are trapped inside. Try turning it on class A tube for 3 hours continuously and then taken it out of the case and touch it. That will tell you the real story ?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #3,036 of 6,213
MEST is a mid-tier IEM. :flushed: :fearful:
Where I came from, IE800 was the TOTL flagship IEM. :grin:
Lol you and me both. I still use the ie800s a lot. Sounds great plus comfortable

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #3,037 of 6,213
Cayin has provided a fairly detail functional diagram, you can figure out the optimum burn in setting:

• Input selection: that is a switching circuit, no need to burn in.
  • Timbre Circuit: You need to burn in Vacuum tube and Solid State (discrete components) separately
  • SE/BAL conversion: SE/SE, BAL/BAL is direct pass through, SE to BAL involve an inverted phase amplifier, so I suggest you only burn in SE input BAL output.
  • Primary Gain Control: Set to High Gain during burn in
  • Volume Control: Use Line in mode during burn in
  • Discrete Headphone Amplifier: Class A and Class AB are identical circuit at different operational mode, so there is no need to burn in Class A specifically, focus with Class AB is OK.
Summary: Set C9 to SE input, BAL output, high gain, Line input mode, and burn in Tube and SS timbre separately. :wink:

C9 Functional Framework.jpg
Hi!!

Can i use this cable to connect the balanced to the AUX port of an active speaker (Klipsch One) and do the burn in in this manner?
F5AB09C2-77CF-4FF5-95BA-0BE91953F39A.jpeg

or this Balanced to unbalanced cable do any harm to the amplifier or the speaker?

I think that going from unbalanced to balanced is harmful but i don’t know the other way around...🤔🤔

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #3,038 of 6,213
Another satisfied customer! Mr. Walkman's custom firmware was quite a game changer for me with the WM-1Z sound signature, and now to be able to enhance the dynamics of that sound with little coloration, the C9 is just what the doctor ordered. The C9 adds air, detail, soundstage, and a sub bass punchiness that the DAP alone doesn't quite achieve. The C9 is quite a gem, and a really versatile little amp!

c9 c.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3,039 of 6,213
Another satisfied customer! Mr. Walkman's custom firmware was quite a game changer for me with the WM-1Z sound signature, and now to be able to enhance the dynamics of that sound with little coloration, the C9 is just what the doctor ordered. The C9 adds air, detail, soundstage, and a sub bass punchiness that the DAP alone doesn't quite achieve. The C9 is quite a gem, and a really versatile little amp!

c9 c.jpg
Congrats! Lovely gears you have! :beyersmile:

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,040 of 6,213
Yup yup! Eddie had a listen when the DITA folks invited him for a session. He actually posted his views on his FB page. Haha! Yes, now that you have the C9, it is time to ponder the A8000 (though do get the balanced cable with the 4.4mm plug) . Another option, the Phatlab Chimera, also sings with the A8000 especially on the tube side. I agree with Eddie that the A8000 is so transparent you get to enjoy the flavours of the source and the amplification.

Indeed. Yes, adequate and full potential are sometimes quite far apart. But that’s the wonderful thing about this hobby, isn’t it? As long as we enjoy what we have or want, that is good. :)

From logic deduction point of view, those who heard the full potential (or at lest something significantly better) and then comment this is adequate to him/her, then that is very like what it means, adequate. Those who didn't heard better and then claim this is adequate, that is likely a speculation only. :grin:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 18, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,041 of 6,213
The favorite of the three combinations is the most full and three-dimensional. The first one I tried was adx5k. The sound was thin, and there was no problem with the bright and partial resolution mentioned in the evaluation. The sound was not so three-dimensional. The second one I tried was thorr. , I was attracted by the sound.
It is indeed a good match.👍

The Odin with stabilized wood looks fantastic.

ADX5K is 420 Ohm if I remember it right, maybe the high impedance loading become a bottleneck. Glad you like the Kennerton and Cayin synergy, they really are good match to each other, unfortunately we don't have a lot of chance to work together closely.

Just out of curiosity, which one do you prefer between Odin and Thror?

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,042 of 6,213
Hi!!

Can i use this cable to connect the balanced to the AUX port of an active speaker (Klipsch One) and do the burn in in this manner?

or this Balanced to unbalanced cable do any harm to the amplifier or the speaker?

I think that going from unbalanced to balanced is harmful but i don’t know the other way around...🤔🤔

Not sure if I understand it correctly. That is an 4.4mm male to 2.5mm female adapter, and then you have a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm custom make cable? I don't think this is going to work because the 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter has lifted the ground connection, and I can't see how you can achieve a 3.5mm stream out of 2.5mm balanced unless you use the L- or R- as ground, this is not something I can recommend. In fact I'll describe that as dangerous attempt.

If your objective is to burn in the C9 fully balanced amplification circuit, you need to engage all four terminations (L+, L-, R+, R-) with loading, there is no way you can achieve that with a 3.5mm connection.

Last edited:

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,043 of 6,213
The Odin with stabilized wood looks fantastic.
I just ordered a Custom LX with stabilized wood. Can't wait to see it. Really hope is sounds good with the C9.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,045 of 6,213
Not sure if I understand it correctly. That is an 4.4mm male to 2.5mm female adapter, and then you have a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm custom make cable? I don't think this is going to work because the 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter has lifted the ground connection, and I can't see how you can achieve a 3.5mm stream out of 32.5mm balanced unless you use the L- or R- as ground, this is not something I can recommend. In fact I'll describe that as dangerous attempt.

If your objective is to burn in the C9 fully balanced amplification circuit, you need to engage all four terminations (L+, L-, R+, R-) with loading, there is no way you can achieve that with a 3.5mm connection.

ok, thanks for the explanation...

then i have this:
N8 connected to C9 via line out 4,4mm, C9 in line mode, high gain, AB tube mode, and 3,5 aux cable (unbalanced) conected to my speaker...
With this i burn in only the tubes and SE output, and i need different burn in for balanced mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back