Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Dec 28, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #5,162 of 6,212
Is the stock interconnect too short for the rack? Was looking to buy a better interconnect, but not sure if I need to order a custom length.

Penon Totem seems too short, but the Eletech ones seem to be the same length as the stock?
ctaxxxx

The Stock and Eletech Interconnects might be OK depending on where you place your DAP/Source. IMO.
Because my Lotoo PAW 6K allows the C9 to be placed into a true amp only mode (Pre In), with volume control coming from the PAW 6K (IE using the PAW to control volume, instead of using the volume knob on the C9). While the Stock and Eletech Interconnects when using the Acrylic rack allowed me to stand the dap and use the DAP's functions, it did not allow me to have it side by side without having to flip the UI.

I've had longer IC's made, so I would not have to use the screen flip function (turn the UI 180')
To give me the most flexibilty (standing the DAP, or place it on the side of the C9 or stacking on top of, when not using the rack) I sought the advice of cable makers and found going to a 12" long Interconnect should not change the signals, or would have minimal change to the sound quality/timbre.
Having the extra length gave me more options including placing the DAP on another shelf when not needing to adjust the volume/track being played.
But it is personal choice, and there is cost in doing interconnects that are NOT off the shelf in length.

But this is all personal choice, and yes you can use the Eletech or Stock Interconnects as is but I can definitely recommend longer interconnects for more options and ease of use.
From what others have said (I have not had a chance to try the Penon Interconnects) they are shorter than the Interconnects that come with the C9, and to me that would be too short for how I use the C9 with my DAP or other source hardware.

Hope this information helps, but YMMV depending on how you use the C9 in regards to your source HW.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #5,163 of 6,212
ctaxxxx

The Stock and Eletech Interconnects might be OK depending on where you place your DAP/Source. IMO.
Because my Lotoo PAW 6K allows the C9 to be placed into a true amp only mode (Pre In), with volume control coming from the PAW 6K (IE using the PAW to control volume, instead of using the volume knob on the C9). While the Stock and Eletech Interconnects when using the Acrylic rack allowed me to stand the dap and use the DAP's functions, it did not allow me to have it side by side without having to flip the UI.

I've had longer IC's made, so I would not have to use the screen flip function (turn the UI 180')
To give me the most flexibilty (standing the DAP, or place it on the side of the C9 or stacking on top of, when not using the rack) I sought the advice of cable makers and found going to a 12" long Interconnect should not change the signals, or would have minimal change to the sound quality/timbre.
Having the extra length gave me more options including placing the DAP on another shelf when not needing to adjust the volume/track being played.
But it is personal choice, and there is cost in doing interconnects that are NOT off the shelf in length.

But this is all personal choice, and yes you can use the Eletech or Stock Interconnects as is but I can definitely recommend longer interconnects for more options and ease of use.
From what others have said (I have not had a chance to try the Penon Interconnects) they are shorter than the Interconnects that come with the C9, and to me that would be too short for how I use the C9 with my DAP or other source hardware.

Hope this information helps, but YMMV depending on how you use the C9 in regards to your source HW.
Thanks! I managed to find the ifi 4.4mm interconnect both in stock and on sale (it was sold out everywhere else...). These are almost 12in according to the specs, so I should have more than enough room.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #5,164 of 6,212
Thanks! I managed to find the ifi 4.4mm interconnect both in stock and on sale (it was sold out everywhere else...). These are almost 12in according to the specs, so I should have more than enough room.
Ctaxxxx::
I'm glad you found the IC you were looking for
I did try a friends ifi silver 4.4mm to 4.4mm Interconnect cable when I did my write up, and not knowing how much burn in it already had did not include in my personal testing,
But I did include some impressions in my Interconnect "write up" earlier in this C9 thread
IF like myself, changing the interconnect led to a lot of continued testing/auditioning as changing the Interconnect did have quite a bit of influence on the final sound and timbre
I will fully admit, most would have stopped long before the level I went to with Interconnect cable make up, but I can tell you for me it was well worth the change in Sound Quality and Timbre.

I hope you find the sound signature your chasing!

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #5,165 of 6,212
I received my Ifi ieMatch 4.4mm today (Amazon.com finally got some stock) -- would highly recommend purchase to all fellow Cayin C9 owners:
Driving the C9 from my AK SP2000, the ieMatch resolves "thin" tonality with Oriolus Traillii and provides better range on the volume dial.
Currently enjoying C9 in pre-amp mode/low gain/tube/class AB, SP2k at volume 66, ieMatch "high" (not ultra) -- listening to Genesis "I can't Dance" remaster, Apple Music lossless (APK on SP2k). Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" has the same weight and corpus as with my full sized cans. Imaging is very precise and lateral extension of the stage is quite satisfactory.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #5,166 of 6,212
I received my Ifi ieMatch 4.4mm today (Amazon.com finally got some stock) -- would highly recommend purchase to all fellow Cayin C9 owners:
Driving the C9 from my AK SP2000, the ieMatch resolves "thin" tonality with Oriolus Traillii and provides better range on the volume dial.
Currently enjoying C9 in pre-amp mode/low gain/tube/class AB, SP2k at volume 66, ieMatch "high" (not ultra) -- listening to Genesis "I can't Dance" remaster, Apple Music lossless (APK on SP2k). Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" has the same weight and corpus as with my full sized cans. Imaging is very precise and lateral extension of the stage is quite satisfactory.

Where did you apply the ieMatch 4.4mm? At the 4.4mm ouptut of C9 or 4.4mm input of C9? I assume you are using it in the output but I guess a little clarification won't harm.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 31, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #5,167 of 6,212
Guys I'm selling my Brise audio YATONO le interconnect cable for AK(2.5mm 3.5mm to 4.4mm) in a really good price, pm if you are interested :) its a really good interconnect cable to pair up, dark background and smooth mid-bass really a great fit for c9

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #5,170 of 6,212
🎉 Wishing all my fellow Head-Fi’ers a very Happy New Year! May 2022 bring all of you ongoing Good Health, Good Fortune and very Happy Listening Sessions! Stay safe and watch those listening volumes 🎧 🔊 Wishing each and everyone of you all the very best for 2022! 🎉

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #5,171 of 6,212
I was hoping someone has done this already. I wanted to get a case that will hold my Cayin C9, Chord Mojo and a set of Headphones (usually carry the Diana V2). But i also would like it to fit into my carry on bag. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #5,172 of 6,212
Hello friends
I am considering to purchase C9. I have a particular use case and would love the advise of those who have been posting but especially @bluestorm1992, @Whitigir and @Andykong. I read the first 284 pages of this thread and my question was not asked in them- if it has been asked in the last 50 pages pls forgive me and point me to that post.

I own R8 and will plan to separately charge R8 and C9, never at the same time. I am interested to stream Roon via the signal chain hooked up like this; Google Wifi point (dc powered by its own adapter) -> RJ45 to Sonore MicroRendu, DC powered by LPS 1.2 (7 V input, 1 Amp) —> R8 via USB data (acting as a DAC not charging)—> 4.4 LO balanced to line in C9 —> iems via C9 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm PO ports.

Is there danger of triggering protective mode of C9 and damaging R8 because R8 is connected by USB (for data not charging) to the Sonore MicroRendu that is itself powered by DC current?
I posted this about 2 weeks ago and received no response from anyone on this thread. I did receive a response from Musicteck that sells the C9, that each of my 3 use cases, as they involve a DC power source to a streaming device or DAC, could trigger the C9 protective response and so C9 would not work properly with them. This suggests - and I posit that it is the case- that the C9 should only be operated with other battery powered devices ( many posts have noted the risk of a short circuit if either the C9 or the source is charging while the two are connected, but it was not clear to me what would happen if the source was itself a DC powered DAC or a battery powered source was connected by USB (for audio) to an upstream DC powered streamer - it seems that this is not safe and should not be done). If this is incorrect, Cayin /electrical engineers pls correct me- certainly I will now NOT purchase one as my use case will not — as I understand it — will not be safe for my sources.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #5,173 of 6,212
I posted this about 2 weeks ago and received no response from anyone on this thread. I did receive a response from Musicteck that sells the C9, that each of my 3 use cases, as they involve a DC power source to a streaming device or DAC, could trigger the C9 protective response and so C9 would not work properly with them. This suggests - and I posit that it is the case- that the C9 should only be operated with other battery powered devices ( many posts have noted the risk of a short circuit if either the C9 or the source is charging while the two are connected, but it was not clear to me what would happen if the source was itself a DC powered DAC or a battery powered source was connected by USB (for audio) to an upstream DC powered streamer - it seems that this is not safe and should not be done). If this is incorrect, Cayin /electrical engineers pls correct me- certainly I will now NOT purchase one as my use case will not — as I understand it — will not be safe for my sources.
To add to the conversation, I have used my C9 only with 1 source, LPGT. With using these two, I have used them with the C9 being charged, the LPGT not... the C9 being charged and the LPGT in DAC computer mode via USB (this also charges the LPGT at the same time)... also not charged while the LPGT is in DAC computer mode and also both not being charged. I have had zero issues with all cases. Sounds like I should stop having the LPGT charging while using the C9, would hate to damage either?

Would like to hear other experiences or input @Andykong :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #5,174 of 6,212
To add to the conversation, I have used my C9 only with 1 source, LPGT. With using these two, I have used them with the C9 being charged, the LPGT not... the C9 being charged and the LPGT in DAC computer mode via USB (this also charges the LPGT at the same time)... also not charged while the LPGT is in DAC computer mode and also both not being charged. I have had zero issues with all cases. Sounds like I should stop having the LPGT charging while using the C9, would hate to damage either?

Would like to hear other experiences or input @Andykong :)

Jiemaster1957 and Qua2k

Don't know if this helps but on this Forum for the C9 around March of 2021, @Andykong had left a lot of information on when the C9 can be connected and when it can't be, to devices that are charging.
From his comments during that time, I would not say it's a design defect, and more of a design decision to not introduce electrical distortion to the sound, and Andy did leave a lot of information on this forum/the site.
I could only find this link for now (and I do not want to speak for anyone who should be responding to your question), but if it helps you, there was a pretty long running thread and will leave it for @Andykong to reply with the correct answer, but if it helps, this is around when the thread of charging was discussed
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...dphone-amplifier.943135/page-48#post-16152883

If this helps also, in the Orient the time leading up to New Years is when many take off of work, and are with family.
New Years is a bigger holiday there than our combined Thanksgiving and Christmas Break, and I know on other theads here on Head-Fi I'm on several where responders have apologized for not responding sooner because of this.
Not making any excuses for anyone, just putting that fact out there, as usually people are VERY quick to respond here on head-fi, but the holidays have all seemed to have put people behind the 8ball in responding.

Again would wait for @ AndyKong to reply, but maybe the link above will help you

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #5,175 of 6,212
Jiemaster1957 and Qua2k

Don't know if this helps but on this Forum for the C9 around March of 2021, @Andykong had left a lot of information on when the C9 can be connected and when it can't be, to devices that are charging.
From his comments during that time, I would not say it's a design defect, and more of a design decision to not introduce electrical distortion to the sound, and Andy did leave a lot of information on this forum/the site.
I could only find this link for now (and I do not want to speak for anyone who should be responding to your question), but if it helps you, there was a pretty long running thread and will leave it for @Andykong to reply with the correct answer, but if it helps, this is around when the thread of charging was discussed
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...dphone-amplifier.943135/page-48#post-16152883

If this helps also, in the Orient the time leading up to New Years is when many take off of work, and are with family.
New Years is a bigger holiday there than our combined Thanksgiving and Christmas Break, and I know on other theads here on Head-Fi I'm on several where responders have apologized for not responding sooner because of this.
Not making any excuses for anyone, just putting that fact out there, as usually people are VERY quick to respond here on head-fi, but the holidays have all seemed to have put people behind the 8ball in responding.

Again would wait for @ AndyKong to reply, but maybe the link above will help you
Unfortunately the link provided does not address the issue. It addresses various situations which occur during charging of the C9 while playing, in which the C9 protective mode is invoked. I had read these posts. In most cases already addressed in this thread, the issue is that C9 is being charged WHILE the source is also being charged. The difference in the use cases under consideration here is that the C9 is not being charged, nor is there any directed connection to the C9 charging circuit/USB. The only connection to the C9 is via Line in or Phone in. It is the SOURCE that is connected to DC current (in the case of a powered DAC) OR the streamer upstream from the source (in the case of a DC powered streamer connected to stream audio to the source when the source is not being charged). In none of the use cases is C9 being charged. It would seem from Qua2K's experience, that my use cases will NOT provoke the C9 protective mode, but this needs to be answered directly and clearly by @Andykong or from someone else at Cayin before -I myself- would dare to purchase a C9.

BTW (just to be clear) when I write "DC powered" above, I mean "a DC current supplied to a unit by an AC powered powerblock" of some sort- not via a 12 V battery though (imo) that probably would not matter, except that the amount of voltage supplied to the DC powered unit could vary. In the case of the Sonore MicroRendu streamer, it is 7V at continuous 1 A (so 7W input). I think iFi Zen Dac V2 uses a 5V input @ 2 A (so 10W). At any rate, it seems these voltages would be enough to trigger the C9 protective mode if a short occurred- but that is the question.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back