Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 28, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #3,572 of 6,212
It is not exactly “very warm”. It is warmer than what I used to know back when it was released. However, the recent releases are all aiming toward warmer directions, and up until now, I am not sure if calling DMP Z1 to be “very warm” would be a precise word.

All of newer releases form all other makers are heading toward warmer signatures, the C9 is also warm, then the Shanling M30, and the Ibasso Dx300
Ok warm

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,573 of 6,212
C9 + A02 is a tough beast to beat. I gotta bring in A02 because as of this moment...I don’t know if any dedicated DAC alone that offers similar LO performances like A02

The performances ain’t easy to outperform on this stack. If the M30 is advertised to be a Desktop piece then this C9 Stack is also a desktop piece that you can carry around LOL

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,575 of 6,212
Just to throw more wood on the fire of tubes vs transistors. Tube amp distortion is stronger in the 2nd order harmonic whereas transistor distortion tends to be stronger in the 3rd order harmonic. So even where distortion is present the tube distortion will sound less harsh.
Agreed, tubes distortions is actually desirables rather than transistors lol.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,576 of 6,212
Actually nearly $500 interconnect :wink:

I use ifi rematch IEMatch because it gets me closer to sonic excellence. My reference point is DMP Z1, which does not produce any hiss for any earphone I own. Cayin C9 however is not built to such an exacting standard, so there are impedance issues with some earphones like DUNU Luna.

As I listen to classical music and have sensitive hearing, the hiss is unbearable on C9 and disqualifies any possible listening session. The IEMatch allows me to listen to music on DUNU Luna.
What do you mean by "impedence issues"? I listened to it straight out with Campfire Audio Andromedas, with zero hiss, those are about as sensitive for hiss as it gets. I do not follow you about the impedence issue thing though, please explain?

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #3,578 of 6,212
hey @SMOoth Operator how does the SE200 play with the C9? Thinking either the C9 or Hugo 2 will be my next purchase (yeah I know, not an apples to apples type scenario).
Waiting on some balanced interconnects for that currently, going to be a while having them built. Have not had the desire to run it SE unbalanced. With that being said, the C9 is a fantastic amp! I need to spend more time comparing it to my Continental Duel Mono's, but so far I feel the C9 might be the better sounding amp.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,579 of 6,212
Size comparison
20210428_145554.jpg

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #3,580 of 6,212
What do you mean by "impedence issues"? I listened to it straight out with Campfire Audio Andromedas, with zero hiss, those are about as sensitive for hiss as it gets. I do not follow you about the impedence issue thing though, please explain?

Consider yourself a lucky one if Andromeda or Solaris (or Odin or Luna) sound dead silent to your ears when connected directly to C9.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3,581 of 6,212
Consider yourself a lucky one if Andromeda or Solaris (or Odin or Luna) sound dead silent to your ears when connected directly to C9.
I am curious about this impedence matching thing though, I have seen some info on it, way more complicated than I want to get into. So basically what happens when yoir amp impedence is too high for your headphones, does it make them over trebly? I recently purchased a HiBy headphone impedence adapter that adds 10ohms, is this essentially the same as the IFI Match, or is that technology different?? When he says there are "impedence" issues with his Dunu Luna, what does he mean..?? Very curious if someone could explain this to me in a easily digestable way?

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #3,582 of 6,212
I am curious about this impedence matching thing though, I have seen some info on it, way more complicated than I want to get into. So basically what happens when yoir amp impedence is too high for your headphones, does it make them over trebly? I recently purchased a HiBy headphone impedence adapter that adds 10ohms, is this essentially the same as the IFI Match, or is that technology different?? When he says there are "impedence" issues with his Dunu Luna, what does he mean..?? Very curious if someone could explain this to me in a easily digestable way?

I forgot where it was mentioned, but I think someone did iEMatch teardown or maybe just measurements and found it to act like a simple voltage divider which attenuates down the signal and the noise floor, and at the same time lowers the output impedance. Don't quote me on that. There is a sound science thread on HF, people love to talk numbers. And numbers and graphs sometimes do make sense, but in some cases it makes sense to treat a piece of gear like a black box, and just analyze what it does and how you hear it :wink:

Btw, I tried that Hiby impedance adapter and it didn't do anything to hissing; so to my ears it is not like iEMatch.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #3,583 of 6,212
I forgot where it was mentioned, but I think someone did iEMatch teardown or maybe just measurements and found it to act like a simple voltage divider which attenuates down the signal and the noise floor, and at the same time lowers the output impedance. Don't quote me on that. There is a sound science thread on HF, people love to talk numbers. And numbers and graphs sometimes do make sense, but in some cases it makes sense to treat a piece of gear like a black box, and just analyze what it does and how you hear it :wink:

Btw, I tried that Hiby impedance adapter and it didn't do anything to hissing; so to my ears it is not like iEMatch.
What confuses me is this, the C9 has an output impedence of 50m ohm, which is 50milliohms, which is 0.005 of an ohm. The output impedence is as low as it gets, so why in the world would he need an IFi match for that and why would it have "impedence issues"? From my limited understanding, I thought as long as your output impedence is significantly lower than your IEM impedence that you are fine? His Lunu Duna is 16ohms and the C9 output imp is 0.005 of an ohm, how could there be "impedence issues"? So what exactly happens when the amp impedence is to high, does it add extra treble or something??

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #3,584 of 6,212
Actually nearly $500 interconnect :wink:

I use ifi rematch IEMatch because it gets me closer to sonic excellence. My reference point is DMP Z1, which does not produce any hiss for any earphone I own. Cayin C9 however is not built to such an exacting standard, so there are impedance issues with some earphones like DUNU Luna.

As I listen to classical music and have sensitive hearing, the hiss is unbearable on C9 and disqualifies any possible listening session. The IEMatch allows me to listen to music on DUNU Luna.
Interesting as I do not find there to be any issue driving the Luna from the N8. Do you have this issue in tube mode only, or on 4.4mm SS as well? Tks.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #3,585 of 6,212
Interesting as I do not find there to be any issue driving the Luna from the N8. Do you have this issue in tube mode only, or on 4.4mm SS as well? Tks.
I don't own N8 anymore, but regarding C9 I do have hiss issue on both tube and SS on 3.5mm and 4.4mm.

R8 doesn't need ifi on 3.5mm connection, however via 4.4mm too much hiss for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back