Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 23, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,226 of 6,212
So, Cayin, I now need a matching case for my N8. I have the Dignis black one for it currently but it is getting pretty tatty. Is it possible to buy one that matches the C9 case?

Sorry, we didn't make N8 case with that color/pattern, and we'll unlikely make a new case for N8.. :fearful:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,228 of 6,212
Afraid not, the upcoming module with dedicated line out possibly ? Because it also has modular design, so the possibilities are there. It just has a very beefy processing main unit
I am just surprised. I understand DX300 is modular design so everything is possible down the road, but as-of-today, I am just surprised.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #3,229 of 6,212
Uhm, I don't need a case for N8, But I do wonder about a battery tray for C9 ?? :darthsmile:

Working on the user manual already, stay tune.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,230 of 6,212
But T1 is 600 Ohm, unless you just bought the latest T1 v3. This is marginally to battery based C9.
Whoops, yeah your right the 2nd gen is 600ohm. Thought it was just the first one.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #3,231 of 6,212
Thank you but Orbtronic are not available in the UK. Most popular seems to be the Molicel.
Also I note the second one is a button top and I thought C9 used Flat tops?

Sorry I do have another question. Does it matter if the batteries are 10A rather than 20A?

Yes, C9 uses flat top "unprotected" version 18650

Electrically, 10A is a lot already, it will work fine. 20A will only have advantage in terms of headroom, which is not easy to identify.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,232 of 6,212
Thank you, I tried adx5k a few days ago, the sound is a bit thin, it may be related to my use of a02 pre out, I will try it when I have a chance.

That probably because he used C9 with ATH-AWKT rated at 48 Ohm, 102 dB/mW, a much easier load for C9. AD5000K is a high impedance can rated at 420 Ohm, so totally different power and handling requirements.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #3,233 of 6,212
Dear @Andykong ,

My birthday is in May, and if you want to give me a C9 as a present I would not be angry with you at all.

Yours truly,
fuhransahis

(Picture on the cake is of course Andy)
tenor (16).gif

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,234 of 6,212
If you look at the timbre circuit of N8, we used an OPA series op-amp as alternative to Nutube 6P1, so the different is fairly obvious. With C9, we have designed a discrete component based Solid State audio circuit based on two matched pairs of high quality low noise Toshiba 2SK209 JFET as alternative to Nutube, so the solid state of C9 is indeed comparable to the vacuum tube timbre.

1619198177028.png
1619197374550.png
It's really noticable. I never listen to the solids state implementation of the N8, but today I listened to the solid state side of the C9 for many hours. It's really good! It was driven by the 4.4 Balanced LO of the n8. I am looking forward to comparing that to the 4.4 Balanced LO of the A02.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,235 of 6,212
Joining the C9 crew! Got mine yesterday and very impressed this morning with my listening sessions. So far I've been using N3Pro from 4.4. LO, Thieaudio Clairvoyance and at C9 end tubes at Class A. I do have some settings (such as pre-mode) and gear to test, but most importantly I just want to listen to my library of great music :ksc75smile: Looking forward to many years with this hot brick and also interesting to read about synergies with IEMs, DAPs etc.

Took a while with the shipment... of course the few weeks of pre-order wait was expected (could have been more), but the package spent three weeks on the way (mostly just inefficient customs/post at my end and the Easter holidays). Here's an accurate depiction of the last couple of weeks of wait time:
Sad-Pablo-Escobar.jpg

If you are using 3.5mm phone out from C9, I definitely recommend 3.5mm line out from N3Pro to C9.

If you are using 4.4mm phone out from C9, worth comparing 3.5mm true line out vs 4.4mm shared line out from N3Pro. I do suspect 4.4mm shared line out will work better in this case, but since its free, so better check it out just in case.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3,236 of 6,212
I have bx2. For driving HEDDphone, c9 is much better than bx2. This is better than bx2.

Another big surprised, and this is a happy one. Must find an opportunity to check out HEDDphone with C9, this is surprisingly exciting. :beerchug:

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,237 of 6,212
How's Empyrean's treble? I heard several comments on the trouble of treble in the Youtube reviews. Does C9 pair it better than Stellia? I am considering buying Empyrean.

I read a lot of comment saying Empyrean is lacking behind on technicality, that's quite true if you AB compare it with other TOTL headphone that is very strong on resolution. IMHO, Empyrean is not lacking behind, Meze just adopted a different take here. Antonio spend a lot of effort to design Empyrean as THE most comfortable headphone to wear on, and that is an important building block to make Empyrean enjoyable for long hours of listening. To achieve the later, Empyrean is tuned to sound natural (instead of neutral), musical, slightly warm, and pleasant enough to continue even after several hour of listening.

As a result of that, the high frequency of Empyrean will be labelled as mellow, non-sparkling and maybe lack of energy base on 10-20 minutes of intensive listening. To me, a totalling different story if I listen to Empyrean after 2-3 hours.

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #3,238 of 6,212
I read a lot of comment saying Empyrean is lacking behind on technicality, that's quite true if you AB compare it with other TOTL headphone that is very strong on resolution. IMHO, Empyrean is not lacking behind, Meze just adopted a different take here. Antonio spend a lot of effort to design Empyrean as THE most comfortable headphone to wear on, and that is an important building block to make Empyrean enjoyable for long hours of listening. To achieve the later, Empyrean is tuned to sound natural (instead of neutral), musical, slightly warm, and pleasant enough to continue even after several hour of listening.

As a result of that, the high frequency of Empyrean will be labelled as mellow, non-sparkling and maybe lack of energy base on 10-20 minutes of intensive listening. To me, a totalling different story if I listen to Empyrean after 2-3 hours.
Now you make me want to try Empyrean. I almost bought it previously, but picked up the Mason FS instead. Perhaps Empyrean should be on my future purchase list again.

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,239 of 6,212
If you are using 3.5mm phone out from C9, I definitely recommend 3.5mm line out from N3Pro to C9.

If you are using 4.4mm phone out from C9, worth comparing 3.5mm true line out vs 4.4mm shared line out from N3Pro. I do suspect 4.4mm shared line out will work better in this case, but since its free, so better check it out just in case.

Most of my listening is with 4.4.mm phone out from C9 and so far I've just gone with full balanced with 4.4 LO from N3Pro. I don't recall if there was much of comparing lineouts (I'll probably do some more later) but that one feels right and I also like how the 4.4 LO is quite clear at N3Pro end with the menu switch and the pop-up message for entering LO.
I'll probably also use some occasional 3.5mm phones so I'll remember to go full SE-->SE for those cases.

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,240 of 6,212
Now you make me want to try Empyrean. I almost bought it previously, but picked up the Mason FS instead. Perhaps Empyrean should be on my future purchase list again.
It really is a beautiful design, do not know if you saw the machining video for it, it is cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back