Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,546 of 6,248
Feb 23, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,547 of 6,248
Lol. Didnt realize we had so many P6P users here.

You should use the Pre-amp mode at least for a try. The P6P has the volume attenuation between the dac and the amp (the internal amp is a pure power amp) giving it a true passive pre-out

Awesome writeup! TYV for the info

Were you charging both the DX300 and the C9 when it happened? Cayin put out a statement that this can cause a short bewteen the player and the amp
Thank you! I will need some time to do this, but want to really compare the C9 to my other semi-portable amps (the Woo Audio WA8 and WA11) to see how the sound differs with various headphones. I do think that the WA8 (tube amp) sounds noticeably better than the WA11 (solid state), but the C9 gives you both options in one amp.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,548 of 6,248
Was doing some quick comparison tonight between the C9 stack and Hugo 2 (alone) in driving the Verite Closed. Both can do the job, but the C9 stack is obviously better (by quite a lot). The dynamics, clarity, and body of the sound all improves. This is perhaps not too surprising given that Hugo 2 is not really very powerful for its amp section, but I think this further confirms C9’s ability in power hungry headphones. :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #1,549 of 6,248
Thank you! I will need some time to do this, but want to really compare the C9 to my other semi-portable amps (the Woo Audio WA8 and WA11) to see how the sound differs with various headphones. I do think that the WA8 (tube amp) sounds noticeably better than the WA11 (solid state), but the C9 gives you both options in one amp.
I had the WA11 before and was not impressed by its performance. I have heard good things about WA8, especially in driving headphones.

I think the advantages C9 has over the WA8 are that C9 is designed to work with both IEMs and headphones and has a balanced output; it is also less bulky than WA8.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #1,551 of 6,248
More Detailed review in IER-Z1R and C9
Excellent with Z1R! The powerful authorities of C9 is so well balanced and fine that it drives Z1R like nothing out there I have came through, except the DMP Z1.
Dare I say that it actually is on par with DMP Z1 when driving Z1R IER, but with the options to switch timbres

What is so good about it ?
Most of the time Z1R is V shaped and having some what muffled or veiled upper mid and lower high, together with a lot of lower bass and sub bass, soundstage is open but....

By using C9 or DMP Z1, the soundstage is vastly expanded in all axis.

The important facts is that the bass dynamic, punches, slams, are crazily energetic....it vibrates in my canals and it is so well controlled that my brains cries in happiness....I am not a bass head, but this level of bass beats my brain into submission!!!! Good bass is always desirable !!!!

Now, the vocal is still some what recessed but ohh so detailed, fine, textures, well defined, a little more forward than if you were to use it from DAP alone, the high frequencies and especially upper mid, lower high definitions and textures are so well controlled, portrayed, and the upper high extensions is great!!! Like a veil has been lifted off

If you are a fan of Z1R IEM, you have to have C9, and better yet A02!
I am using FiiO LC-RE cables, which is cheap, affordable, at real quality. Excellent for even larger staging and Bass quality. There is also cheaper cables that has Litz Silver from FiiO and this one have further definitions and resolutions at some compromises of stages Vs the LC-RC

You will not regret investing into C9.

Thanks, I'm waiting on a battery for the DX160 so all I have left is the ZX300 with no line out. I will try that when I return home though.
So now both iBassos daps you have have issues ?

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,552 of 6,248
I had the WA11 before and was not impressed by its performance. I have heard good things about WA8, especially in driving headphones.

I think the advantages C9 has over the WA8 are that C9 is designed to work with both IEMs and headphones and has a balanced output; it is also less bulky than WA8.
Agree, the C9 is much more versatile and seems to have more 'driving capability'...I have the volume control quite a bit lower on the C9 than on the W8 to achieve the same volume level with the same headphone. Also my C9 weighs 560 grams, and my WA8 weighs 1230 grams.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #1,553 of 6,248
Agree, the C9 is much more versatile and seems to have more 'driving capability'...I have the volume control quite a bit lower on the C9 than on the W8 to achieve the same volume level with the same headphone. Also my C9 weighs 560 grams, and my WA8 weighs 1230 grams.
Wow. I didn't realize the wa8 was so chunky

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,554 of 6,248
I finally returned home and tried the single ended output on the DX300 and that works. Line out to the C9 works via single ended as well. I also tried the 2.5mm balanced PO on the DX300 and that has the same issue as the 4.4mm balanced out. It sounds like the balanced portion of the amp is blown. I'm hoping to get a replacement amp from iBasso to see if that fixes the issue.

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #1,555 of 6,248
I finally returned home and tried the single ended output on the DX300 and that works. Line out to the C9 works via single ended as well. I also tried the 2.5mm balanced PO on the DX300 and that has the same issue as the 4.4mm balanced out. It sounds like the balanced portion of the amp is blown. I'm hoping to get a replacement amp from iBasso to see if that fixes the issue.
Glad that you can at least use the SE line-out while waiting for the amp replacement. :)

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #1,557 of 6,248
I really enjoy Diana with c9 in tube(timber) mode. the Diana’s and all the abyss’s in general are on the slightly bright side of the spectrum.
in timber mode,I find it takes the edge off,and is more musical. The c9 has more than eneough power for Diana V2’s tho not as much as
my romi bx2+,ifi Idsd sig... the xi audio broadway about the same power,but the Broadway has a wider soundstage(by a little)
while the romi bx2+ is an excellent value for the money,it is not in the same league as xi Broadway and cabin c9
Sick collection, as the kids say. I have a BX2 Plus and am waiting on a C9. Was going to do a comparison, but I'm happy someone else is doing it.

Beyond power output, can you let me know if the C9 in SS mode competes with the BX2 Plus in terms of technicalities - i.e., imaging, speed, detail, etc? Thanks.

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #1,558 of 6,248
Was doing some quick comparison tonight between the C9 stack and Hugo 2 (alone) in driving the Verite Closed. Both can do the job, but the C9 stack is obviously better (by quite a lot). The dynamics, clarity, and body of the sound all improves. This is perhaps not too surprising given that Hugo 2 is not really very powerful for its amp section, but I think this further confirms C9’s ability in power hungry headphones. :)
This is good to hear. Really looking forward to getting my C9! How much headroom does the C9 have when driving the VC via the Hugo 2?

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,560 of 6,248
I'm particularly keen to hear your WA8 vs C9 impressions. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back