Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #587 of 6,212
As it was a huge size amp .. I was expecting some more power in class A for the C9..
For sure, I am a bit obsessed to be free to move in my home to listen to music where I want with my HEDDphone..
But with less than 2x1.5W at 42ohms there is for sure a real loss in the kicks the HEDDphone is able to give with low and ultra-low frequencies with clear, fast and deep impacts. Those kicks are even more impressive than my closed headphones like Ultrasone Ed15 veritas, Z7M2 and even my IEM IER-Z1R.

But I understand as it is announced, the C9 must be a very nice Item for you and many others.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #588 of 6,212
As it was a huge size amp .. I was expecting some more power in class A ..
But I understand as it is announced, the C9 must be a very nice Item for you and many others.
The size is barely the width of an IPhone 12 Pro Max , also the length, not huge at all

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #590 of 6,212
I hope Cayin launched a desktop solution soon! The Apex Sangaku was one of if not the best hybrid Tube Amp I've heard and it ran the the Korg Nu Tubes, I'd love to see another desktop design built around it

Either way this looks like an astonishing portable!

Unfortunately, we don't have any plan to use Nutube for desktop product. We prefer to use transformer coupled designed for desktop tube amplifier and regular vacuum tube works better in this design.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #591 of 6,212
Unfortunately, we don't have any plan to use Nutube for desktop product. We prefer to use transformer coupled designed for desktop tube amplifier and regular vacuum tube works better in this design.
Does that mean you and Cayin are saying that Korg Tubes are bad and not worth it to put in the Desktop designs ? Or there are no Korg tubes designs that is worth it to be in desktop gears yet ?

I wonder why you don’t prefer to make Korg tubes in desktop at all

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #592 of 6,212
I am fairly new to topologies and this "pre" option kind of confuses me.

Anyway, I use a Hugo2 with an r6pro as a transport. Now, this is what I want to do. If I only use my Hugo2 DAC and feed the signal to the c9 (note that Hugo2 is single ended), so it makes sense to feed SE to the c9 here. But most of my gear are 4.4mm terminated. With this setup I mentioned, what comes out of the balanced phone out of the c9? Clearly, the input is not balanced, but can it output through the balanced socket to the headphone/IEM (I know theoretically it won't be balanced) but I am just doing my research before shelling out the money.

If you look at the Functional Diagram of C9 in page 1, you probably noticed that C9 has built-in SE/BAL conversion function in the circuitry. So its perfectly alright, from functional point of view to feed the single end line output from Hugo or Hugo2 to C9 and use 4.4mm balanced phone out from C9.

C9 SE BAL conversion circuit.jpg

While this function make life a lot easier to users, you cannot assume the SE input > BAL output is as good as the BAL input > BAL output. Take a closer look at the specification table closely, you'll notice the Dynamic range and SNR will drop a few dB when conversion is involved, to the extend that SE>SE direct will outperform SE>BAL conversion by 6-7 dB. The biggest different lies on Channel Separation of SE>BAL against BAL > BAL direct, 17dB and 20dB different respectively.

So you can enjoy the full benefit of extra power and handling (current) from differential amplification after the conversion, and the convenience of using any input for any output, but there is a small cost to pay for in dynamic range, and SNR.

C9 SE BAL conversion Specfication.jpg

Last edited:

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #593 of 6,212
Does that mean you and Cayin are saying that Korg Tubes are bad and not worth it to put in the Desktop designs ? Or there are no Korg tubes designs that is worth it to be in desktop gears yet ?

I wonder why you don’t prefer to make Korg tubes in desktop at all

You missed a key word here: transformer coupled tube amplifier design. We prefer traditional vacuum tube when we need to use output transformer. We didn't say Nutube is bad for desktop gears.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #594 of 6,212
that sounds like a good plan, but better and more robust DAP would improve the experiences for sure. The implementations of power rails, supplies, and conversions would hugely be effecting the line out performances. May be N8 ? Or other TOTL like SP2K, LP P6Pro...etc...

Actually DX220 might be a good choice to pair with something like C9. It is light small and has a very good DAC implementation.

I did read somewhere in a Chinese blog that the R8 and C9 is a pretty good combo! So definetly looking forward to getting the C9!

I also believe they are very good matches to C9. Infact, any DAP with high quality line out can become a good source to C9. :beerchug:

If I remember it right, R8, for example, have un-amped balanced line out but DX220 does not offer that option. Therefor R8 is in a slightly better position in the matching game if you are using balanced phone out (based on my explanation of SE/BAL conversion function in previous post), but if you are using single-end phone out, that both DAP works find with C9.

Last edited:

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #595 of 6,212
Maybe more, you can see people pairing P6Pro with C9 already. Ideally, an R2R discrete with Tube portable is some Ancient dirty desires :wink:.

Or, Sigma Delta IC conversions with tubes Buffers stages on the line out into the external Tubes Amplifications !!!

I certainly want to find out if there is any magic between R2R discrete with Tube amplification. As you have put it, this a dream from the old school audiophiles. I am not so sure about Sigma Delta IC conversion because I have seen very good result when matched with both tube or solid state amplification.

By the way, is there any portable Delta-Sigma DAP or DAC that offers tube buffered stages on the line out? I didn't recall seeing something like that.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #596 of 6,212
By the way, is there any portable Delta-Sigma DAP or DAC that offers tube buffered stages on the line out? I didn't recall seeing something like that.
Nope, not to my knowledge, waiting for Cayin :D lol. I would love to see a dedicated high-end DAC-Line out alone with both High end SS and Tubes features. It would be a wet dream portable system for many with the C9

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #597 of 6,212
Very much the same here :)! I can not wait actually!

The ability to take Phone out from about any DAPs and then Pre-Line In before amplifications is awesome. The flexibility/applications is limitless

Indeed, the PRE-amp input mode has opened up a new horizon to portable amplifier IMHO.

Make sure you also compare the DAP line out to C9 line input vs DAP phone out to C9 PRE-amp input. If you have a low noise low power phone out, this will be a very fun exercise and you might be surprised by the result. Add this to your previous "4 devices in one" proposition, you now have 3 variables (Input mode, Class, Timbre), that give you 8 combinations in total:
  1. Tube balanced Amp Class A in Line input mode
  2. Tube balanced Amp Class AB in Line input mode
  3. Solid State Balanced Amp Class A in Line input mode
  4. Solid State Balanced Amp Class AB in Line input mode
  5. Tube balanced Amp Class A in PRE-amp input mode
  6. Tube balanced Amp Class AB in PRE-amp input mode
  7. Solid State Balanced Amp Class A in PRE-amp input mode
  8. Solid State Balanced Amp Class AB in PRE-amp input mode

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #598 of 6,212

Looks like you just found a hole in the market. :)

R8, for example, have un-amped balanced line out

Then, is it direct DAC output? I wonder the case with SP2000 that you select the output voltage - is it amped or DAC controlled.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #599 of 6,212
Great!! Any ideas about silicone bands and leather case to carry it around in stackable style to a DAP?

We tried silicone bands, it doesn't work very well. the C9 is quite a bit larger than our DAP, and the N6ii has a fairly high screen-to-body ratio, so it looks ugly and inconvenience to operate when you have two silicon bands around N6ii. We didn't include a leather case to bundle N6ii with C9 because if we do that, we'll pass a wrong message to the public. C9 is not meant for N6ii exclusively. We expect C9 to have much longer product life than any DAP in the market, so custom make a DAP + C9 leather case is only a short-term solution.

I am looking at other options right now and I probably will go for reusable silicone pads. I have ordered some samples and hopefully it will arrive within a week, will share my experience if this work out OK.

1611776373539.png

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #600 of 6,212
Haha there was in Shark Tank some entrepreneurs with their pads that "let you stick your phone to a wall" and I was like why would anyone stick their phone to a wall but that might work for audio stacks :ksc75smile: :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back