Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #5,567 of 6,213
You're located in Missouri right? US return policy is still in your favor if ever you didn't like the item. :thumbsup:

In Singapore, there's no such return policy. So we really have to be sure of what we are buying 🤷‍♂️
Very true, that is one advantage of living in the US

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #5,568 of 6,213
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #5,570 of 6,213
A year late (as I was on hiatus) but still a very happy purchase! Finally got mine!

Step aside (for a moment) Gryphon, the C9 will be taking some of your ear time :beyersmile:

20220414_212149.jpg
I've just noticed that we posted on the same day. Does that mean we got the C9 on the same day hahaha?
Do you use the C9 mostly for home/office or also on the go?
In Singapore, there's no such return policy. So we really have to be sure of what we are buying 🤷‍♂️
^^ this, once opened warranty time will kick in. Luckily the resell market is lively in Singapore, and we can demo most stuff to make up for that.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #5,571 of 6,213
I've just noticed that we posted on the same day. Does that mean we got the C9 on the same day hahaha?

^^ this, once opened warranty time will kick in. Luckily the resell market is lively in Singapore, and we can demo most stuff to make up for that.
That's why I'll go Zepp or Jaben to test important purchases first...

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #5,572 of 6,213

Yes, we both got the C9 yesterday :thumbsup: Although I got mine from Jaben. Stocks just arrived Wednesday night.

Will be using it everywhere permitted :smile: For now it's still stuck at home. Now I'm looking for a storage case, got a spare Pelican case and it fits perfectly but still looking for other alternatives.

That's why I'll go Zepp or Jaben to test important purchases first...

Yep, that's what I do as well...but for the C9, I decided to skip auditioning. But for the rest of my gears, yes, I always audition before purchasing.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #5,573 of 6,213
Yes, we both got the C9 yesterday :thumbsup: Although I got mine from Jaben. Stocks just arrived Wednesday night.

Will be using it everywhere permitted :smile: For now it's still stuck at home. Now I'm looking for a storage case, got a spare Pelican case and it fits perfectly but still looking for other alternatives.

Yep, that's what I do as well...but for the C9, I decided to skip auditioning. But for the rest of my gears, yes, I always audition before purchasing.
Although expensive compared to others, the Van Nuys 12 is the best out there in my opinion. I also got the Van Nuys 6 for when I don't bring the C9.

20220202_190057.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #5,575 of 6,213
In terms of battery life / health….with DAPs I’ve often read to not charge up to full or let them run flat, which is advice I follow with the C9. But have also read that slower charging mag be better for battery life - do you guys use higher power / quick charge with your C9’s or do you prefer to stick to slower charging?

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #5,576 of 6,213
In terms of battery life / health….with DAPs I’ve often read to not charge up to full or let them run flat, which is advice I follow with the C9. But have also read that slower charging mag be better for battery life - do you guys use higher power / quick charge with your C9’s or do you prefer to stick to slower charging?
Do you mean charging the 18650 batteries outside of the C9 module? I think the battery module maxes whatever power is being charged to the batteries, so using a fastcharge outlet vs not a fastcharge should not have a difference? Correct me if I am wrong.

I would say that it would be beneficial to run any rechargeable battery to zero once in a while to ensure longevity. I do agree that doing this day in week over week is not healthy.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #5,577 of 6,213
Do you mean charging the 18650 batteries outside of the C9 module? I think the battery module maxes whatever power is being charged to the batteries, so using a fastcharge outlet vs not a fastcharge should not have a difference? Correct me if I am wrong.

I would say that it would be beneficial to run any rechargeable battery to zero once in a while to ensure longevity. I do agree that doing this day in week over week is not healthy.
In fact (@Andykong pls correct me) I think that C9 shuts down when the batteries discharge to 3.0 V and max charge (all 4 lights on) is ~4.3-4.5 V. So even after automatic shutdown (ie protective mode is triggered), tbe batteries are still not FULLY discharged.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #5,578 of 6,213

Technically, it's safe to fully charge batteries nowadays - they now have built in protection circuit that automatically stops charging when the battery is already full, then the charging circuit switches over to trickle charging instead. I have done this for years - leaving my phones plugged in overnight and just unplugging them in the morning - no battery issues because the charging circuit protects the battery. Same concept as with any other battery enabled device today.

On my C9, I just leave it plugged in using my normal USB (5V/2A) overnight and just unplug in the morning. I use my QC3.0 charger when I want to top it up quickly. Else, I will always use slow charging.

I normally run my batteries flat every now and then, you can't help it, you're using the device. Just charge it immediately so that it doesn't go completely below the voltage threshold - done this for years and I had no issues with any of my batteries.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #5,579 of 6,213

This is the case back then when rechargeable batteries are still Ni-Cd and Ni-MH based as there's memory effect, they really need to be fully discharged. Not the case with Li-Ion and Li-Po based batteries as they don't have any memory effect - BUT I did read somewhere, can't find the article (a long time ago) that Li-Ion and Li-Po still benefit from being fully discharge from time to time. So I also run them down - maybe once a quarter or half year just for the heck of it 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back