Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #436 of 6,248
🙂😃
Unfortunately bx2 didn't work for me and I still found it was not 100% transparent, it have slightly minimally altered the sound or did not fully translated ir in its full original form....
Maybe it was romi interconect cable doing that?

Also bx2 had a volume problem, to strong so even i low gain I was at maximum 1/4 and it had glitches and volume fade out due to channel disbalance in the potentiometer at very low volumes.

In my opinion C9 is the top new amp to go, it has a lot neet fetures
I just leave volume on the Romi 80 % high and control volume from the dap.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #437 of 6,248
I just leave volume on the Romi 80 % high and control volume from the dap.

You then feed it with low current and dont have full sound advantages. You need to feed a min of 80% from source to the amp or your just killing all the dynamics and the volume...

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #438 of 6,248
You then feed it with low current and dont have full sound advantages. You need to feed a min of 80% from source to the amp or your just killing all the dynamics and the volume...
Sure if you believe that. Modders and even Mass Kobo creator said to do it that way.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #439 of 6,248
Sure if you believe that. Modders and even Mass Kobo creator said to do it that way.

I would use it your way only if it eas out of convenience but being a purist in hardware sound I dont do it.

So bx2 is eliminated for me.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #440 of 6,248
Is it ibasso dx200 you have ? You seem to like clinical sterile sound 😅 I am the complet opposite.

Talking of R8 you said right, it has a small hint of warmth which makes it sound more life like and slightly less clinical. I have the R8 and M8 right now also ordered dx300. For me R8 is too lean and not musical. Its too natural and neutralish. I need coloration, vibes, waves and musical curves 😊🥰

R8 is a very good dap but not with what I am after.
I had the DX220 with AMP8EX, and it was amazing except the UI part and battery.

Yeah you have different tastes in DAP :) I like my source to be without color, and then there's MSEB if I need to. I'd rather chose a different transducer for colored sound and keep the source clean.

Coming from RME, R8 to me is not that neutral :D

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #444 of 6,248
I must say as excited as I am, the price is well above what I anticipated and at this price there is a long hard thinking required we're talking Pro iCAN territory there...

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #445 of 6,248
I must say as excited as I am, the price is well above what I anticipated and at this price there is a long hard thinking required we're talking Pro iCAN territory there...
Same here. Must be waiting for some early user impressions and then decide. Well, I hope someone will end up getting one lol.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #446 of 6,248
Same here. Must be waiting for some early user impressions and then decide. Well, I hope someone will end up getting one lol.
Price is a little higher than expected for sure, still a very interesting amp

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #447 of 6,248
Price is a little higher than expected for sure, still a very interesting amp

Of course it is but I have heard the Pro iCAN and while it's tied to a power cord and much bigger it's also super sounding this means at this price point this is a long hard think rather than an impulse buy

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #449 of 6,248
Of course it is but I have heard the Pro iCAN and while it's tied to a power cord and much bigger it's also super sounding this means at this price point this is a long hard think rather than an impulse buy
Too many options at this price.

Agreed!!
True! Now you have brought that up again. It has been so long that I even forgot about the existence of Pro-Ican.

Even if it need to be tied to a Wall, it can take 15V-DC supplies. You can always buy a battery packs for that voltage and make it transportable. Just that it is so very large though lol

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #450 of 6,248
Had a short session with C9 yesterday. Only spent around 35 mins with it so it may not be a good representation. Just my impression.

Used only a HD800S provided by shop. Happened to have a iFi Zen Can sitting on the table as well. So could focus on comparing the 2 amp.

IMG_20210117_175738.jpg

N8 4.4 LO as source to C9 to drive 800S, A18t and Odin.. N8 3.5 tube as source for A18t and Odin for comparison.
C9 at Hi gain and A class for 800S, and Low gain and AB class for IEMs. Just test the tube sound.

1. C9 can drive the 800S, but think there s not much advantage compared to Zen Can. Powerful enough, and can show the soundstage capability of 800S, but not really outshine Zen Can by much. The advantage probably only on the tube sound option. But when u think about the price difference, seems a bit hard to swallow.

2. Then used A18t and Odin on the C9 balanced output low gain with tube. Had a feeling it s pushing the bass too much, to an extent that the timbre and extension is no longer there. Thought it s my hearing problem, but when I used back my N8 on tube (SE only), then can got back the high pitch clarity and extension. Maybe becoz both A18t and Odin are easy to drive, but to me I would prefer to use my N8 (or maybe even N3Pro) to enjoy the sound signature of A18t and Odin.

3. The size of C9 is not small, heard will be similar to the upcoming DX300. I can't imagine to carry a C9 and DAP for outdoor use. A N8 and N3Pro will do a better job for my IEMs. And I don't use HP outdoor at all.
If we talk about home use, then I would rather use a simple Zen Can, and add a WA8 if I want the tube sound. Actually C9 does raise my interest on a proper desktop amp. With its price there are loads of option out there.

Just a 35 mins test drive, so please take my impression with reservation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back