Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jan 13, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #392 of 6,248
Jan 13, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #393 of 6,248
Bet to open it and change tubes.

Guess more likely for changing battery?

Anyway, I remember somebody (probably Andy) mentioned C9 is not meant for driving full-size headphones. Just wonder for IEM users if there is need for such a powerful output.

We may say this is a portable amp, but I believe using a DX220MAX, N8 or SP2000 would give you a similar power output (at least for IEM user), without the need for an extra DAP.

And the price...🤦

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #395 of 6,248
Guess more likely for changing battery?

Anyway, I remember somebody (probably Andy) mentioned C9 is not meant for driving full-size headphones. Just wonder for IEM users if there is need for such a powerful output.

We may say this is a portable amp, but I believe using a DX220MAX, N8 or SP2000 would give you a similar power output (at least for IEM user), without the need for an extra DAP.

And the price...🤦
Im sure it can EASILY push most full size headphones. The SP2000 cannot push most full size headphones to their full potential.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #398 of 6,248
Well at least it comes with all the accessories you need to use it... it does seem strange that given the price it was mentioned that a desktop amp would be better for full sized headphones (unless I’m remembering wrong)
I remember Andy saying it wasn't neant to drive hard to drive headphones. I have D9200 so it's easy to drive, but might get an open-back planar later hence the preamp option!

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #399 of 6,248
This is exactly our thinking. If full size headphones are your number 1 priority, then please go for a desktop amplifier. Portable amplifier, even as powerful as C9, will not outperform desktop amplifier at the same price, so why should we put full size headphone as primary priority?

We are going to make C9 as good as it can with IEM, and in our experience, it will sound nice with a lot of headphones even when we are not aiming at them directly.
Ah, this part... I guess it’s not that weird to say a desktop rig would be better

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #400 of 6,248
I remember Andy saying it wasn't neant to drive hard to drive headphones. I have D9200 so it's easy to drive, but might get an open-back planar later hence the preamp option!

Any specs, though? I haven't seen any output power specs.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #402 of 6,248
Some were posted... just can’t find them right now
This is the Headphone output specification of C9 Portable headphone Amplifier. We measure the figures out of our production candidate sample, so it should be final, but we reserve the right to fine tune the figures after trail production run.

We are performing the battery duration test right now, will take some time as there are a lot of combination to cover, but I can quote two preliminary data for your reference. Both battery duration readings are achieved at low gain, volume at around 10 o'clock position, with 32ohm loading and standard line in signal (2V for single-ended, 4V for balanced). Since users can swap the C9 battery with two screws only, you can carry an extra set of batteries (4x18650) and double the battery duration if long continuous playback hours is important to you.
  • 3.5mm Single-ended phone out, Class AB, Solid state timbre, around 15 hours
  • 4.4mm Balanced phone out, Class AB, Solid state timbre, around 10 hours

Cayin will demonstrate C9 portable headphone amplifier, together with complete portable product lineup, at Bejing ZOL 5th Z-HiFi Show starting tomorrow (19-22 November), we can expect more photo and show impression from Chinese social media during the weekend.

C9 Headphone Specification.jpg

Here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back