Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 13, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,822 of 6,248
Great to hear there will be many more C9 owners shortly. Really looking forward to reading your thoughts and ideas and exchanging views with you all. This is a great hobby! Loving it!
Nice Interconnect with Furutech there. Be careful with the Furutech though, while it offers excellent performances, the plating is easily stripped or damaged if plug/unplug too many times without care.
When plug/unplug, make sure you do it slowly and no side to side forces, keep pulling it out straight and slow, so it minimize the forces upon the contacts and prolong the IC

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,823 of 6,248
Nice Interconnect with Furutech there. Be careful with the Furutech though, while it offers excellent performances, the plating is easily stripped or damaged if plug/unplug too many times without care.
When plug/unplug, make sure you do it slowly and no side to side forces, keep pulling it out straight and slow, so it minimize the forces upon the contacts and prolong the IC
Will do. Thanks for the info. It was the very first interconnect I bought even before I bought the C9. Used it with my mobile phone via a USB C Pigtail adaptor into my Tube Amp. Now goes in to the C9 and is great. I'm very careful once unplugging and tend to 'squeeze' it out of the socket.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,824 of 6,248
Will do. Thanks for the info. It was the very first interconnect I bought even before I bought the C9. Used it with my mobile phone via a USB C Pigtail adaptor into my Tube Amp. Now goes in to the C9 and is great. I'm very careful once unplugging and tend to 'squeeze' it out of the socket.
That is what I do :)! Squeeze it carefully and slowly. I am thinking about the Oils that Furutech offers as well. Apparently, all the efforts are better than resoldering both Furutech lol

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,825 of 6,248
Please let us know how the C9 comparesto the WA8. I am interested in that device.
This weekend I spent a fair amount of time comparing the Hugo 2 paired with the C9 and with the Woo WA8. Both combinations sound fantastic, for most songs I did prefer the H2 and WA8 over the H2 and C9. To my ears that WA8 has a stronger base, better separation and a warmer sound. I think the WA8 is more "tubey" sounding and works particularly well on songs with a lot of treble that the H2 on it's own is too bright for me. The C9 in tube mode also tames songs like that but not as much as the WA8.

As I mentioned before the C9 is a lot more versatile than the WA8, the battery lasts a lot longer, the C9 doesn't get nearly as hot as the WA8 and the C9 is much more portable. When it comes just to sound quality and the warm tube sound the WA8 sounds better to me.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,826 of 6,248
This weekend I spent a fair amount of time comparing the Hugo 2 paired with the C9 and with the Woo WA8. Both combinations sound fantastic, for most songs I did prefer the H2 and WA8 over the H2 and C9. To my ears that WA8 has a stronger base, better separation and a warmer sound. I think the WA8 is more "tubey" sounding and works particularly well on songs with a lot of treble that the H2 on it's own is too bright for me. The C9 in tube mode also tames songs like that but not as much as the WA8.

As I mentioned before the C9 is a lot more versatile than the WA8, the battery lasts a lot longer, the C9 doesn't get nearly as hot as the WA8 and the C9 is much more portable. When it comes just to sound quality and the warm tube sound the WA8 sounds better to me.
That's it. I'm convinced. I am buying one.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #2,828 of 6,248
Will have my C9 and leather case tomorrow, can’t wait! It’s been a long wait hahah.
Looking forward to your impressions. I wouldn't be surprised if it had tremendously positive impact on sound quality.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #2,831 of 6,248
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you receive the WA8.
Not sure when I will get it, but I'll post my impressions when I do. I am a huge tube amp fan. I own a Bottlehead crack and cut my teeth with tubes with that amp. I spent more money on tubes than on the amp itself. My goals are to get tube amp timbre with the C9 for my IEMs. It's usually not practical to drive IEMs with a full sized tube amp because the output impedances tend to be way too high. So, you need a hybrid option for that. But, for full sized headphones tubes amps are great, especially with high impedance cans like the ZMF and Sennheiser. The WA8 has a transformer on the output, so it can drive lower impedance headphones like The Focal Clears which I recently bought.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,832 of 6,248
Hi guys, I was really excited and interested in purchasing the Cayin C9 because of all the features that it comes with and the easy replaceable battery. I have the Woo Audio WA8 and today I had the chance to try the Cayin C9 and compare it with the WA8. Suffice to say that I am glad that I had the chance to try before buying it, I almost did it but I am happy that I was patient and they didn't have it in stock because I am relieved now that I don't have to buy it. I like the sound of WA8 more, plus I have the Cayin n8. The sound of WA8 is grander than C9 and the bass goes deeper and the soundstage and instrument separation is better on WA8 even though it is a bit warmer than Cayin C9 in tube and class A mode. Both amps are transportable, not portable with C9 having an advantage here because it is lighter. I hope this helps for those of you that are not yet decided what amp to buy. Cayin C9 is a great product but I just like the WA8 more, plus I bought the upgrade tube for it and that enhances the sound even more

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #2,833 of 6,248
Nice to see fellow Woo Amp owners!! I have a WA7 TP which I also upgraded last year to new motherboard and new sets of tubes. I think the WA7TP (and by extension WA8) the perfect companion to C9. C9 I've noticed is a tad more energetic, closer to natural. WA7 is more warm, enveloping and pleasurable.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,834 of 6,248
Hi guys, I was really excited and interested in purchasing the Cayin C9 because of all the features that it comes with and the easy replaceable battery. I have the Woo Audio WA8 and today I had the chance to try the Cayin C9 and compare it with the WA8. Suffice to say that I am glad that I had the chance to try before buying it, I almost did it but I am happy that I was patient and they didn't have it in stock because I am relieved now that I don't have to buy it. I like the sound of WA8 more, plus I have the Cayin n8. The sound of WA8 is grander than C9 and the bass goes deeper and the soundstage and instrument separation is better on WA8 even though it is a bit warmer than Cayin C9 in tube and class A mode. Both amps are transportable, not portable with C9 having an advantage here because it is lighter. I hope this helps for those of you that are not yet decided what amp to buy. Cayin C9 is a great product but I just like the WA8 more, plus I bought the upgrade tube for it and that enhances the sound even more
Thanks for the comparison. The WA8 and C9 comparison sort of reminds me of my debate between Broadway and C9. I was intended to keep the Broadway to drive my Diana V2. The Broadway is also transportable and it never gets hot. It also drives V2 better than C9.

However, after keeping them simultaneous for a while, I found myself rarely use the Broadway anymore. I think this is mainly due to my listening habits. I like to switch between IEM and headphone listening. While C9 can drive both beautifully, my Broadway was not a good fit for IEMs at all. And, after all, C9’s size and weight are also better than the Broadway. So I ended up selling the Broadway.

In the purchase of audio gears, I have found myself repeatedly end up preferring usability and versatility over pure SQ. I love the sound from P6 Pro, but SP2000’s versatility makes me rely on it. I can also see myself in the future to pursue the DAPs with even better usability, such as DX300 or Hiby R8.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,835 of 6,248
That is surprising and yet not surprising as audio performances are subjective. The C9 is technically better than the WA8 in it engineering, especially the Dual Rails of independent +/-8.4 Volt directly. Also it was built for Amplification alone and nothing that tapped away from multiple LDO regulators to feed other stuff like DAC , buffers and so on

Anyways, I am glad I purchased the C9 for sure

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back