Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 4, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #2,626 of 6,212
Apr 4, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,627 of 6,212
Chaps, quick Q: when you use the SP2000 or SP1000 LO into the C9, do you choose a lower output level? Just wondering what yields better sonics: lower output on the AKs, and higher gain output on the C9 or higher output on the AKs and low gain on the C9? :)
Balanced 4.4 line out setting at 6v. The issue is simply the sp2k does not have dedicated line out circuitry. This result is expected. SP2k still sounds great with C9 , its just not the best as a line out source.
I have tested before with lower output LO doesn't make any difference. Remember to keep C9 with low gain.
But it's better if you try all available options, so you can decide yourself. Happy listening :L3000:

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #2,628 of 6,212
I have tested before with lower output LO doesn't make any difference. Remember to keep C9 with low gain.
But it's better if you try all available options, so you can decide yourself. Happy listening :L3000:

thanks for your thoughts @LabelH. Look forward to experimenting with this once I get my hands on the C9. :)

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #2,629 of 6,212
Had a bit of a panic last night when using the C9 over many hours to sample what it has to offer. Battery life was extremely good but towards the end of battery life I found it a bit confusing. Those battery indicator lights seemed to have a life of their own and 'updated' only when the unit was switched off then back on. 'Updates' via the battery lights didn't seem to be true whilst in operation. My unit arrived fully charged in a sealed box and lasted just over 12 hours playing music and left on stand by! Not bad on the first run using a combo of settings! The lights began to disappear down to one, in a very short space of time, then the unit didn't switch on. Obviously, I'm presuming very low battery power, so the unit may have refused to operate for protection? I recharged and it is now turning back on, displaying all battery lights and working. So today, I will run another series of listening sessions and keep an eye on the battery status including turning the C9 on and off and various intervals to see what happens.
Anybody else encountering battery issues or performance related things?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #2,630 of 6,212
Chaps, quick Q: when you use the SP2000 or SP1000 LO into the C9, do you choose a lower output level? Just wondering what yields better sonics: lower output on the AKs, and higher gain output on the C9 or higher output on the AKs and low gain on the C9? :)
I used medium or high LO on SP2000. Both seem fine.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,632 of 6,212
Have any reviewers done a comparison with this and the WA11? I'm wondering if it is worth the upgrade (noting that there is no DAC in the C9.
I did, and I ended up selling the WA11. :)

Having a busy weekend and will be able to share more thoughts on this topic later. Hit me up if I forget.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,633 of 6,212
How does the C9 drive your headphones collections?

unfortunately I was still experimenting with my FitEar customs when I realised that one channel of the nutube was not working when I switched to try tube. Will post my views once I get the replacement C9 in. I am likely to try it with Utopia, Sonorous X, D8000 and TH900. The other cans are too challenging even for the C9 I suspect.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #2,634 of 6,212
I just punched in an order for a C9 with Andrew. I am joining the family! @lumdicks pairing the C9 with his Hugo 2 was the deciding factor as I will be doing the same thing. I also plan on testing it with the W2 and my iPhone and with my Hiby R6 2020. I was going to do this last week, but I auditioned the Chord Hugo TT2 and M scaler and I almost went that direction instead. I decided to postpone going in that direction until at least next year because I would have also had to purchase a high end tube amp and it wouldn't give me tube sound with my IEMs. Maybe I'll get an m scaler to see what it does with the Hugo 2 + C9. Woo hoo!

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,635 of 6,212
I just punched in an order for a C9 with Andrew. I am joining the family! @lumdicks pairing the C9 with his Hugo 2 was the deciding factor as I will be doing the same thing. I also plan on testing it with the W2 and my iPhone and with my Hiby R6 2020. I was going to do this last week, but I auditioned the Chord Hugo TT2 and M scaler and I almost went that direction instead. I decided to postpone going in that direction until at least next year because I would have also had to purchase a high end tube amp and it wouldn't give me tube sound with my IEMs. Maybe I'll get an m scaler to see what it does with the Hugo 2 + C9. Woo hoo!
Congrats and welcome to the club!!

Edit: I think you will benefit from your current step-by-step upgrade approach. TT2+MScaler is such a huge financial investment. With that much money stocked in those gears, you may not be able to explore the world of IEMs before your curiosity is fully satisfied. :)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #2,636 of 6,212
Congrats and welcome to the club!!

Edit: I think you will benefit from your current step-by-step upgrade approach. TT2+MScaler is such a huge financial investment. With that much money stocked in those gears, you may not be able to explore the world of IEMs before your curiosity is fully satisfied. :)
Agreed. I am heading back for a second audition of the Legend X tomorrow with Josh at Empire Ears.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #2,637 of 6,212
Agreed. I am heading back for a second audition of the Legend X tomorrow with Josh at Empire Ears.
That’s wonderful! So you are in Atlanta now? :)

Also consider the Noble Sultan as well. I got one without a high expectation for it but it turned out to be my favorite. Best tuned mid-range I have heard. Not beating the bird, but just very much suits my taste when paired with SP2000. Although I should also note that since it is easy to drive, it does not benefit so much from C9.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,638 of 6,212
That’s wonderful! So you are in Atlanta now? :)

Also consider the Noble Sultan as well. I got one without a high expectation for it but it turned out to be my favorite. Best tuned mid-range I have heard. Not beating the bird, but just very much suits my taste when paired with SP2000. Although I should also note that since it is easy to drive, it does not benefit so much from C9.
@mvvRAZ said something similar about the Sultan. Would love to hear it some day. Now that CanJam Chicago is postponed until 2022, need to wait until CanJam Socal which I definitely plan on attending.

I am looking forward to tube sound with my IEMs and seeing what the C9 can do with the Z1Rs which are very hard to drive.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,639 of 6,212
@mvvRAZ said something similar about the Sultan. Would love to hear it some day. Now that CanJam Chicago is postponed until 2022, need to wait until CanJam Socal which I definitely plan on attending.

I am looking forward to tube sound with my IEMs and seeing what the C9 can do with the Z1Rs which are very hard to drive.
I think they can do home audition too. Just shoot them an email. :)

Look forward to your impressions with C9 and your various gears!

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,640 of 6,212
Focal Mg en route to me...🎧
Should be a good pairing with C9 and N6ii...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back