Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 30, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #2,536 of 6,248
Yes!!!!! Just been advised that my C9 has been picked and is being packaged now for despatch. The C9's look to have landed in the UK now so all UK customers on the first pre-order list 'should' see theirs delivered this week. I think US customers will see theirs delivered early next week. A big Hooray for everyone who is on board from this new delivery. I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts. 🎧

Mine is being sent tomorrow. Yay!

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #2,537 of 6,248
Is MusicTeck shipping C9 this week?

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #2,538 of 6,248
Mar 30, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #2,540 of 6,248
Next week I believe.
Can't come soon enough! I've been waiting for an amp that could best utilize the sq of my WM1Z firmware (which doesn't have a dedicated LO), and it sounds like the pre amp mode on the C9 is just the ticket.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2,541 of 6,248

Pairing my new Chord Hugo 2 as designated source of C9, with an aim to create a semi desktop system with portability, streamed from my music server by iMac via Roon.

Thanks @bluestorm1992 for the advice and sharing. The combo works extremely well with Chord signature of airy and musical presentation and Cayin signature of excellent control, dark background and my favorite tube A mode.
How does it sound? Basically using the Hugo 2 DAC and the C9 amp. Inquiring minds want to know.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #2,542 of 6,248
How does it sound? Basically using the Hugo 2 DAC and the C9 amp. Inquiring minds want to know.
Hugo 2 is able to drive all of my IEMs and headphones (please see my signature) but I observe 2 issues. The first is the relative high noise floor that I hear small hiss with more sensitive IEMs such as FiR M5. Besides, while it is loud enough, I find that it lacks a bit control and authority in driving my CANs.

So I use the RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect my H2 to C9 via Preamp In and wow! The whole imaging, resolution, dynamics and micro details reach the next level. The background is completely black without any hiss and noise. H2 is among the best DACs in portable or even desktop world, so pairing with C9 gives me the best of both worlds.

Strangely that H2 does not pair well with C9 via line in. Not sure whether because of the relative high 3v RMS line level of H2 that I used but it sounds a bit muddy and congested. With preamp in the sound is much more transparent, musical and engaging.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #2,543 of 6,248
Hugo 2 is able to drive all of my IEMs and headphones (please see my signature) but I observe 2 issues. The first is the relative high noise floor that I hear small hiss with more sensitive IEMs such as FiR M5. Besides, while it is loud enough, I find that it lacks a bit control and authority in driving my CANs.

So I use the RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect my H2 to C9 via Preamp In and wow! The whole imaging, resolution, dynamics and micro details reach the next level. The background is completely black without any hiss and noise. H2 is among the best DACs in portable or even desktop world, so pairing with C9 gives me the best of both worlds.

Strangely that H2 does not pair well with C9 via line in. Not sure whether because of the relative high 3v RMS line level of H2 that I used but it sounds a bit muddy and congested. With preamp in the sound is much more transparent, musical and engaging.
Thanks for sharing! I have the same experience in pairing H2 with C9. The line-in mode is not so appealing, potentially due to the double amp issue (H2 does not have a true line out, only a line level). The pre-mode of C9 pairs with it perfectly.

For my Diana V2, H2 can drive it but it was not so satisfactory especially at high volume. I usually listen quite loud, and at that volume H2's control is a bit off and I occasionally hear some distortions/noise. With the pre-mode of C9, I can keep H2 at a relatively low and comfortable volume.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #2,544 of 6,248

Thanks for sharing! I have the same experience in pairing H2 with C9. The line-in mode is not so appealing, potentially due to the double amp issue (H2 does not have a true line out, only a line level). The pre-mode of C9 pairs with it perfectly.

For my Diana V2, H2 can drive it but it was not so satisfactory especially at high volume. I usually listen quite loud, and at that volume H2's control is a bit off and I occasionally hear some distortions/noise. With the pre-mode of C9, I can keep H2 at a relatively low and comfortable volume.
Please, how are you running your Hugo 2 / C9 combo, precisely? H2 should not be run in fixed-volume RCA Output mode (purple volume indicator, i.e. 3 V RMS) - that’s what you say. Rather it should be run on the H2 volume control (to what color approx.)? C9 in Pre-Amp mode, i.e. bypassing the C9 volume control. Did I understand you correctly? Thanks in advance.

Now, how about running the H2 at lower than purple volume and using the C9 in Line-Input mode, i.e. doing the volume control on the C9? @lumdicks, you said the pairing is bad in this setting with H2 at purple volume. Does it get better with the H2 turned down?

Side remark: For my full-size cans (HD 800S, T1.2) I do find the same as you. Things get to open up to full potential and gain musical authority when using the H2 with an external headphone amp, like Violectric V281. The wins then are much bigger than the losses. With V281, the H2 is in fixed-volume mode (purple), and I use the input attenuation of the V281. Volume controlled by V281 pot.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #2,545 of 6,248
Please, how are you running your Hugo 2 / C9 combo, precisely? H2 should not be run in fixed-volume RCA Output mode (purple volume indicator, i.e. 3 V RMS) - that’s what you say. Rather it should be run on the H2 volume control (to what color approx.)? C9 in Pre-Amp mode, i.e. bypassing the C9 volume control. Did I understand you correctly? Thanks in advance.

Now, how about running the H2 at lower than purple volume and using the C9 in Line-Input mode, i.e. doing the volume control on the C9? @lumdicks, you said the pairing is bad in this setting with H2 at purple volume. Does it get better with the H2 turned down?

Depends on different headphone. On Obravo HAMT3 MKII I run H2 at green colour volume, pre in to C9 at high gain. For Empyrean, Ether Flow Open and Stellia, the volume at H2 is lower in between yellow and green.

For line in, sound quality does improve if I dial down the volume of H2, but overall speaking it works better at pre in.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #2,546 of 6,248
I've managed to listen to the C9 paired with the WM1Z and Z1R today. I am pleased with the increased dynamics, depth and improved sound signature especially on vocals with line in, tube and class A activated. With pre in, I was hearing more or less the same straight out of the WM1Z, Unfortunately, the listening environment was a little noisy, so I might have missed the subtle nuances that might further highlight the differences.

It is nice to have in one device so many tones and modes to choose from. However, with the setup that I have, I reckon the choices would be somewhat narrowed down.

Portability wise, the footprint of this amp isn't small. A stack like this would not be something I would consider taking out of the house. But as a device moving from one room to another, I think it will be great. Then begs the question, wouldn't a desktop amp or maybe a DMP-Z1 be better? Possibly...

If I deem the sound of the C9 with the above setup as refined, the ifi Diablo must be more along the lines of brutish.

我喜欢光溜溜的白虎

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2,549 of 6,248
Good Day to everyone, a joyous day today! My C9 has just been delivered!
Time for some fun and great listening!
🎶🎧🎶

Attachments

• 20210331_121712.jpg
    20210331_121712.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210331_121720.jpg
    20210331_121720.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #2,550 of 6,248
I hear that the SG stores should be receiving the pre-ordered stock tomorrow from the distributor. This will be good. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back