Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,419 of 6,249
I'm actually shocked he's gone this long without modding it in some way. Is there any gear he owns that he hasn't modded?
I have been modding it all along including, heat sinks, new batteries, new interconnects.... :wink: just no invasive processes yet.

I think this protective mode happens due to the Ground-shield-Ground on this 3rd interconnect Kind. The so called the right kind of shield by @twister6 :wink:.

It wouldn’t turn on eventhough the battery is inside and full. Unless the Power connector is plugged in on the C9 itself and the LeD start charging, until then I can unplug and turn it on. However, when I turned off the C9, connected both A02+C9 to a charger and it wouldn’t even charge. All LED shows full and the batteries are not fully charged.
Until I Either remove the IC or only charge one device A02 Or C9 alone

It is interesting to see why Ground are implemented on both the A02 and the C9 but then can easily trigger protection mode on the C9. Why ?

**So far, using regular no ground IC is no problems by far....never had protection engaged unless listening and charging together

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,423 of 6,249
So can I just check... is there any issue using a c9 and a dx300 with a 4.4mm balanced line out connection?
Somebody up there ^ broke a DX300 doing just that. I wouldn't do it myself, I know from experience sometimes warranties look good on paper but actually claiming for damage may be a different matter.
I use this combo of C9 and dx300 from time to time and I am fine. There are others as well

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,424 of 6,249
So can I just check... is there any issue using a c9 and a dx300 with a 4.4mm balanced line out connection?
Not, as long as you don't set dx300 line out to high gain; better keep it on low gain.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #2,427 of 6,249
So.. Right now, I'm between 2 choices; either go with:

1) Lotoo PAW 6000 + Cayin C9
or
2) Lotoo PAW Gold Touch alone and be done with it!

My only concern is sound quality alone. You can tell I like Lotoo stuff and would like to have their "house sound".

Can someone help?

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #2,428 of 6,249

or

My only concern is sound quality alone. You can tell I like Lotoo stuff and would like to have their "house sound".

Can someone help?
Sound wise the Touch by a significant margin. For me 2 out of 10 songs I hear the benefit of the touch on macro and micro detail. Busy music benefits. Both have the house sound. I am not sure about this, do not believe the C9 is going to correct that. The P6K wins for convenience and I like the design better it is cleaner smaller lighter not as gaudy. Comes down to your library, demo all three if you can.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,429 of 6,249

or

Can someone help?
Based on my general experience, DAP+C9 will usually surpass ANY standalone DAP in SQ. For me, I even slightly prefer N6i + C9 over LP P6 Pro.

I have owned and sold LP6K and LPGT. I think the difference between them in SQ is noticeable but not day and night. Adding a C9 is day and night.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #2,430 of 6,249
Based on my general experience, DAP+C9 will usually surpass ANY standalone DAP in SQ. For me, I even slightly prefer N6i + C9 over LP P6 Pro.

I have owned and sold LP6K and LPGT. I think the difference between them in SQ is noticeable but not day and night. Adding a C9 is day and night.
That said if you do not want to stack on the go. And decide not to add the C9, which would you prefer. Agree not night and day, the P6K sounds great really, when the music gets real complicated or there is a dramatic building of a wall of sound throughout the tune, all next level daps sound better for that than P6K. I typed wrong above P6P instead of P6K sorry for the confusion, fixed it. That said I chose the L&P because it sounded better to me than the Lotoo touch and the design, but it was real close. I kept my P6K and use it often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back