Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,861 of 6,236
I want the tube timbres choices from a portable devices :wink: for sure, from a Line out source
Okay, so Cayin will not make an “N9” so to speak. However, will Cayin instead make an all out top Portable Dac to use with the C9? Tks.

As usual, I can't discuss features or timing of new products, but I though we have discussed the infeasibility of portable DAC?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,862 of 6,236
Oh? I was under the (apparently mistaken?) impression that while impedance spikes weren't as pronounced as they typically are on dynamics, you still have frequency dependent inductance in the traces as well as damping issues caused by the traces moving in the magnetic field that need to be damped (both of which I thought affected effective inductance)

FWIW, I didnt propose the idea cause I thought it was a lucrative market. I just am only portable and want to be able to run susvara 😂

Well, check this out HERE.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #1,863 of 6,236
@Andykong , can we convince you to allow a wall only power card for Cayin C9? :wink:

I am not sure if I get it right completely, do you mean a module to replace the battery tray so that you can use the AC power supply directly?

In short, we can't offer that option. If you want to replace the battery tray with something that have an IEC C8 socket, the limited space will only allow switching power supply and that will definitely downgrade the C9 performance. Alternative option will be DC inlet for an external power supply, @Whitigir has suggested Linear Power Supply option previous and we have discussed the feasibility briefly HERE.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,864 of 6,236
I am not sure if I get it right completely, do you mean a module to replace the battery tray so that you can use the AC power supply directly?

In short, we can't offer that option. If you want to replace the battery tray with something that have an IEC C8 socket, the limited space will only allow switching power supply and that will definitely downgrade the C9 performance. Alternative option will be DC inlet for an external power supply, @Whitigir has suggested Linear Power Supply option previous and we have discussed the feasibility briefly HERE.
I actually like the design the way it is. And as I wait for mine to arrive I'm also waiting to hear about additional battery trays. :L3000:

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,865 of 6,236
Maybe, maybe not. An opposing viewpoint could be that the dac and amp should be noise free and that the sensitive IEM/HP are only showing you the noise in your system.

I realize system matching comes into play, but shouldn’t the Luna/Odin have less hiss with the better amp....meaning the C9 should be quieter than the N8? Or is the issue the N8 output? Tks.

"dac and amp should be noise free", iF the amp is better, it should have less noise, that's what you imply?

This is quite different from my understanding of high quality amplification. Even at discussion at specification level exclusively, I always put dynamic range and low distortion before Signal to Noise ratio, and the point is, even when two amplifier are measured at the same SNR, the amplifier with higher output power will have more noise, so does that mean smaller power amplifier is always better then higher power amplifier?

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,866 of 6,236
I've just recently discovered you on this forum., but I must say, you quite possibly could be the smartest person I've encountered in my short audiophile experience. I would love to mind meld with you some day.

I am flattered. Thank you. :beerchug:

Someone had said that Cayin has a feature that can't be copied by other brands, and that feature is called "Andy Kong", my CEO has a good laugh on that joke. :ksc75smile:

Stay in this forum for another six months, I am sure you'll run into many brilliant people and learned a lot of valuable knowledge and experience from them.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,867 of 6,236

Hi Andy

Yes, I was referring to external linear power supply. I have HDPLEX300 which I use with DMPZ1, was curious if there could be compatibility with that in future.

But it seems not possible. No worries, thanks!

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,868 of 6,236
Hi Andy

Yes, I was referring to external linear power supply. I have HDPLEX300 which I use with DMPZ1, was curious if there could be compatibility with that in future.

But it seems not possible. No worries, thanks!
HDPlex is a single rail PSU. In order to supply the C9, it will need to be Dual rails with Mirror feedbacks as the C9 is running on Dual rails from 8.4V - and +
I have looked into this direction for a while...I still don’t think it is a viable options for all the works, expenses VS gains. Staying with batteries is the way it should be

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,869 of 6,236
HDPlex is a single rail PSU. In order to supply the C9, it will need to be Dual rails with Mirror feedbacks as the C9 is running on Dual rails from 8.4V

So you're saying to buy another HD Plex, then place C9 in the middle.

Standing on shoulder of giants. :)

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,871 of 6,236
Need a link to that bag love it.

The bag is no longer available, but if you search "leather chest bag" or "leather crossbody bag" in Aliexpress, you probably will find something that works similarly. For example I have another shoulder bag that work like this if I use it with C9

1614613797211.png1614614003283.png

You can find variation of this bag HERE and HERE.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,873 of 6,236
"dac and amp should be noise free", iF the amp is better, it should have less noise, that's what you imply?

This is quite different from my understanding of high quality amplification. Even at discussion at specification level exclusively, I always put dynamic range and low distortion before Signal to Noise ratio, and the point is, even when two amplifier are measured at the same SNR, the amplifier with higher output power will have more noise, so does that mean smaller power amplifier is always better then higher power amplifier?
I was not implying one measurement over another. I was saying if there is noise, the higher sensitivity IEM’s magnify it. High power amps can be made to be low in noise based on high end amps in 2-channel audio ( Boulder as an example, this is SS and not tubes). Is there a reason why this cannot be the case with IEM’s? I realize tubes are usually noisier, but there is also the SS output. Tks.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,874 of 6,236
Has anyone heard the C9 with with Tia Fourte or Nio? @Bax1020 wants to know (more specifically as compared to a DX300 but I suspect there just isn't anyone with that combo - at least searching this thread didn't help).
I believe @lumdicks has the Nio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back